why does my tear wear like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all, my alignment find, my tire pressure fine. my tires wear on edgest. on my left side. they wear down really bad. this has just recently started happening. my right side of my tires are fine. but my left side, the edge of the tires, the last part of the tire that reaches the surface before it turns intot he side walls, the corner u can say, wears out very fast. any clue?

like how lower cars wear out in the inside, my wear out ont he outside, and only on one side

Simple question - complicated answer.

1) Your alignment is NOT fine. There is a camber problem.

2) Review your driving habits. Might be too many right turns and too fast.

3) It sounds like your pressure is too low.

4) I hope you didn't fix the alignment and hope that the tires would start correcting themselves. Sorry, but you can not add rubber back onto a tire - it only wears off.

[ October 26, 2005, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: CapriRacer ]

You might have a worn bushing or other suspension component that makes the suspension go out of alignment while moving. Alignement may check out on the rack, but changes once forces and loads are applied to the suspension under power, motion, turning, etc...

Have a good mechanical/suspension shop give the suspension a good and thorough inspection.

Have you ruled out a defective tire(s)?

fyi, i take really good care of my tires because i spend a grip on them. Rotate, air pressure all of the above. i have fwd car prelude with 100500 miles on it. i will take your consideration on the bushing check up. I am going to put on another old tire i got to see if it wears on the edges. i appreciate everyone input. I make a lot of hard turns, it just so happens to be more rights becuase right turns happen more often, i.e. freeway ramps

I agree w/ Willy_G. You don't indicate how old the car is, rwd or fwd, or how many miles are on it, but given your symptons I would suspect an older car w/ quite a few miles on it - control arm bushings are most likely worn out.

How often are you rotating?

From my experience, FWD cars/vans always wear down the front tires faster. They need to be rotated almost as much as every oil change 3-5k miles.

Also try upping the pressure, say 2-3psi on the front. If it's occuring on all 4, it still may be the front of the car that's to blame - specially if they've been rotated.

If they've never been rotated, and it's occuring on all 4 - up the pressure all the way around, say 2-4psi.

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
thank you, i will look into this

If you want a little crisper handling, consider graphite impregneted polyurethane bushings. Downside is they might squeak a bit when they age.

quote:

Originally posted by tuong:
i have fwd car prelude with 100500 miles on it. i will take your consideration on the bushing check up.

Pay special attention to the upper control arm bushings, upper ball joints and lower control arm bushings. I used to wear out the outer edges of my tires pretty badly too until I put new bushings in the front of my car. It's a shame that Honda doesn't sell upper control arm bushings separately from the control arm
twak.gif
The bushings were near to impossible to get for my '91.
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back