Why do you believe in UFOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most people see or hear "UFO" and assume the writer/speaker is talking about aliens... My friend is a pilot and he sees UFOs all the time. Of course they normally become IFOs once you get closer...but just to be clear, you're talking about aliens visiting Earth in ships, right?

I don't believe they have. There are bound to be many earth-like plants out there, I think a vanishingly small percentage of them will have intelligent life capable of sustained space travel. Then they would have to find us. That's really hard. I once calculated how large a radio receiver and it's accompanying dish would have to be in order to pick up a TV show broadcast from Earth and received 3500 light years away (only 5% the length of our galaxy). I don't recall exact numbers, but it was just shy of the size of Saturn.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Most people see or hear "UFO" and assume the writer/speaker is talking about aliens... My friend is a pilot and he sees UFOs all the time. Of course they normally become IFOs once you get closer...but just to be clear, you're talking about aliens visiting Earth in ships, right?

I don't believe they have. There are bound to be many earth-like plants out there, I think a vanishingly small percentage of them will have intelligent life capable of sustained space travel. Then they would have to find us. That's really hard. I once calculated how large a radio receiver and it's accompanying dish would have to be in order to pick up a TV show broadcast from Earth and received 3500 light years away (only 5% the length of our galaxy). I don't recall exact numbers, but it was just shy of the size of Saturn.

Well said on all points.

As in little green men from other worlds? No, I don't believe they've ever visited earth, nor do I believe that they're currently visiting earth. I'll leave that to the folks that choose to listen to overnight AM radio or spend their time watching crackpots on television.

I do believe that it's possible for life to have evolved on other planets. But I don't believe that we've been visited by aliens from other worlds.

The odds are so tiny. Our planet has had life for over three billion years, and for less than 1/10,000th of that time produced a species capable in theory of spaceflight, and that species (us) took an awfully long time to get past the Old Stone Age. There are likely many billions of planets in our galaxy alone with life. Those with complex life, such as a tree or an animal as good as a mouse are almost certainly not common, but primitive microbial life will abound.

Other planets will be very friendly to life but be places where no intelligent species will come along or develop technology, such as water worlds, and still others will not be friendly to life in general for long periods. Example given: Mars. Bad orbits, unstable stars, poor galactic locations, the wrong planetary size, and such means that most planets are good only for microbial life if they can support life at all.

There is no particular natural reason why we evolved, even though the Earth is a splendid piece of real estate. The odds to me are that in the Milky Way and the nearest 10 galaxies, that we are the only technological species. On the other hand if we ever develop interstellar flight, the places where Earth life could spread to are immense in number. That applies even to marginal places. If humans knew that some planet could be colonized and that life there would be fine for 100,000 years until its star went unstable, would they settle there? Sure they would.

While UFOs seem to exist, they are therefore IMO not "space aliens." Thinking they are says more about the egocentrism of humans than anything else.

Aliens have been coming to Earth for 10k+ years. Not sure why they would have stopped now. Thinking humans are alone in the universe is the most egocentric thing humans do.

Last edited:
When you think about the numbers... the number of stars in a galaxy, the number of galaxies in the universe, it is just as likely that we are just shaved apes in a cosmic "fly through safari park" as we are the sole mortal sentient lifeform in the universe.

I'm not saying that either is the case. Just that the probability is very close or the same.

When one considers the size of the universe,then considers how little we actually see of it then considers our evolution as a species is a mere blip(if that)in time and space.
Its a pretty small mind that believes in this vast expanse we call universe we are the only intelligent life in it.
Now after saying that I'm not positive that aliens have dropped in to visit and honestly if they've got the technology to get here from millions of light years away I'm sure they have the tech to keep us from seeing them.
But there are a lot of things in our distant past that we have no comprehension of whatsoever and most baby boomers choose to believe what big brother told them,thankfully newer generations have an open mind to things and don't believe everything forced down their throats. Perhaps fluoride has the baby boomers in a state of denial.
Either way It has no bearing nor effect in my day to day life. If they've been here great,if not oh well. Either way I think there's more to the story than is being told.
The fact that open minded people who interpret evidence differently are called crackpots have me counting the days those closed minds are pushing up daisies. Once they've expired a new generation will push harder for information and may just get it.
If it comes to light that government lied about their existence for all this time(which never happens right,government doesn't lie)I'll not be surprised.

Why is thinking we are the only intelligent life in the universe egotistical if there is no proof to the contrary? Facts have nothing to do with ego. Egotistical is landing on someone else's land and claiming you discovered it:)

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
Why is thinking we are the only intelligent life in the universe egotistical if there is no proof to the contrary? Facts have nothing to do with ego. Egotistical is landing on someone else's land and claiming you discovered it:)

ref

True enough. For my part I think there are intelligent, technological species out there. But they are nowhere close by in terms of human distances. Imagine being a mouse on some isolated island, and think of a mouse on an island on the other side of the world. The two will never meet.

The distances in the Universe make this seem like nothing.

Depending on which theory you subscribe to...either aliens have been visiting since biblical times, or aliens started visiting in 1947 (Roswell)...I want to know why they haven't shown themselves. An extraterrestrial lifeform is either going to say "Howdy, Partner!" or they're going to say "We own you now, beotch!" Whichever, they would have done it by now.

I believe in both UFOs and ghosts/paranormal/afterlife. However I give it very little thought, don't let it own me, and figure "they" will force or explain the issue when the time comes.

I've seen convincing, to me, evidence of both UFOs (oddly moving lights up Midcoast Maine) and poltergeists. I have no need to proselytize my views upon others and don't try.

I believe some UFO cases are truely that, "unidentified", and extremely well documented. The Japanese cargo flight incident over Alaska, 1986, IMO is the most well documented case of a truly unidentified flying object because the audio tapes and radar from air traffic control are in the historical record and corroborate with what the pilots witnessed.

However, I stop short of real UFOs being controlled by extraterrestrial life. There simply is no evidence of it. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence in history, and ancient history of UFOs, and of course, the theory that the gods of the ancient world were extraterrestrials. Meh, the problem with modern UFOlogy and the actors who promote it is, most of them are completely and totally full of [censored] and a great majority of the people in the community are proven hoaxers, fraudsters, and scammers who lump UFOlogy into all the loony conspiracies that are out there now. I've done enough researching to realize that now.

That being said, with the size of the universe and science uncovering the fact that planets are very common, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if there is intelligent life infinitely more intelligent than humans. I seriously doubt they would want to visit though.

Last edited:
Just sit outside on a dark, non-light polluted night (which is hard to find these days) and look up. There is just no way in double L hockey sticks that we CAN't be alone. It's too numerous for us to count or conceive. I know a lot of ya'll poo-poo on the ancient aliens show....BUT....you have to admit that some of their theories could hold water. I don't believe everything they proclaim, but some of the things stop you and make you go "hmmmmm." I mean, some points it's hard to dis-prove. Even if just one theory is plausible, just one, then why is it so hard for everyone to accept that maybe, just maybe, we have been visited from other civilizations. The aliens would in fact be, other civilizations because not just one entity is going to come up with the technology to build and produce a space craft. I believe the times that we've been visited are marked with great achievments...things like pyramids, some of the wonders of the world. Think about it....there are lot of black holes in human evolution....how'd we get from building pyramids to the dark ages? Where's all that knowledge go? Lot's of gaps out there.

I personally don't believe in any of that Star wars space travel nonsense because there haven't been any logical proof to say otherwise.

Strange things happen throughout the earth, most of which can't be explained, so a flying, glowing object in the sky could be an asteroid burning up. It could be the leftover particles of an asteroid burning up some flammable gas from outer space, thus it's lightweight enough to just float in the sky and glow.

I find it very hard to believe that as technologically advanced as we are, our radars and satellites haven't pickup up any of this "activity in the sky" that so many are reporting.

I can have a few beers, smoke a joint and tell you all about the lights in the sky I saw last night...

Regarding intelligent life elsewhere in space... bacteria and other micro organisms, if that. Green funky looking creatures from other planets is only our imagination.

Good reply Clevy. And you are right when you say we have to wait for the closed minds to be gone before any progress can be made. Somebody quoting some scientist achieves nothing. Only actual real field research will achieve anything.

Of course UFOs exist. It is not a matter of belief. People see stuff all the time that they are unable to explain. If somebody sees a flying object or light or whatever that they cannot explain it is a UFO.

The real question is if any of these UFOs that people see may be alien spacecraft or some natural phenomena that needs to be studied. Anybody who is unaware of all of the evidence that is available obviously has not done any real research. There is abundant evidence available that research by scientists is justifiable.

But just as country folk discovered meteorites and not scientists I don't really expect for scientific research to become acceptable on UFOs unless and until something major happens. For some scientists to display any interest some ordinary person would have to bring pieces from a wrecked alien spacecraft in.

I have seen some strange stuff myself but I am not going to discuss that here because it is a waste of time. I don't know if alien spacecraft have visited in the past or are visiting today our world. Maybe there is natural phenomena that is not understood and needs to be explained.

One thing I do know however is that there is a lot of evidence that there are strange things going on. Anybody not aware of that evidence obviously is not interested and not really trying to find anything out. If alien spacecraft really exist and some country person brings a piece of a spacecraft in some day, it will be very funny that the scientists were the last to know AGAIN!

Me and my friends have seen some really strange sights while camping way out in the desert. But keep in mind that there is a big Air Force base nearby so I think that is the source of what you see. There is no doubt aircraft we have no idea about being developed.

As far as life elsewhere goes, I firmly believe that there is life out there somewhere. It may be way too far for us to ever discover each other but when you think of space being forever you cant believe this planet is the only one with critters all over it!

What's your definition of "believe in", and "UFO"?

I believe there are a lot of unidentified flying objects (i.e. secret military planes and projects), I also believe in the possibility that there's intelligent creatures on other planets. However I do not believe that human has seen them coming on a space ship yet. Does that make me "believe" in "UFO"?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I believe in both UFOs and ghosts/paranormal/afterlife. However I give it very little thought, don't let it own me, and figure "they" will force or explain the issue when the time comes.

I've seen convincing, to me, evidence of both UFOs (oddly moving lights up Midcoast Maine) and poltergeists. I have no need to proselytize my views upon others and don't try.

+1

Originally Posted By: Mystic
One thing I do know however is that there is a lot of evidence that there are strange things going on. Anybody not aware of that evidence obviously is not interested and not really trying to find anything out. If alien spacecraft really exist and some country person brings a piece of a spacecraft in some day, it will be very funny that the scientists were the last to know AGAIN!

Care to share the most compelling evidence you know about?

I think that's your best shot at creating believers rather than being fatalistic about non believers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back