Why do people use the rear brake?

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
I see a lot of riders, mainly the cruiser crowd, use the rear brake as their main brake. I sometimes watch bike crash YouTube videos and see the same, people using the rear brake and not grabbing the front.
Where is this coming from? Being afraid of flipping the bike over the handlebars? Being used to braking with your right foot on cars? Locking up the front wheel?

IMO, this is a very dangerous habit to pick up. Even with ABS and linked brakes in modern bikes, you are not getting the full benefit of the front brakes and therefore your braking distance is a lot longer as a result.

I pretty much never touch the rear brake during normal ridding. I use it mainly during slow speed maneuvers or for holding the bike stationary at stop lights.
I will use a slight rear brake during heavy braking to stabilize the bike, this was very useful with the Valkyrie I had, I think because the bike is so heavy. Sport bikes don’t need much of the rear brake or none at all.

What is your habit? Front only? Rear? Or both?

I see a lot of riders, mainly the cruiser crowd, use the rear brake as their main brake. I sometimes watch bike crash YouTube videos and see the same, people using the rear brake and not grabbing the front.
Where is this coming from? Being afraid of flipping the bike over the handlebars? Being used to braking with your right foot on cars? Locking up the front wheel?

IMO, this is a very dangerous habit to pick up. Even with ABS and linked brakes in modern bikes, you are not getting the full benefit of the front brakes and therefore your braking distance is a lot longer as a result.

I pretty much never touch the rear brake during normal ridding. I use it mainly during slow speed maneuvers or for holding the bike stationary at stop lights.
I will use a slight rear brake during heavy braking to stabilize the bike, this was very useful with the Valkyrie I had, I think because the bike is so heavy. Sport bikes don’t need much of the rear brake or none at all.

What is your habit? Front only? Rear? Or both?

It took me a minute to get used to using the front brake as the primary even though I've been riding since I was a kid.

I just had it ingrained in my head, not to touch the front brake unless it is an emergency from bicycles as a kid. I flipped over the handlebars enough time because of too tight front brakes that I just didn't touch it unless absolutely necessary. Plus, the rear brake let's you produce some sweet skids.

Once I was older an I started riding on the street, I figured it out, but like I said, it took a minute. Now I typically start with the front and apply the rear as needed. If I'm coasting and I have enough warning, I may use the rear to just apply a little more decel as needed.

Because they've never taken a motorcycle safety course and don't understand how MC braking works. I don't ride now but when I did took a MSC at local Community College twice. I do think how braking done in a vehicle makes rear braking more instinctive when not educated on MC braking techniques.

The front brake is my go-to stopping source. A panic brings about the use of both brakes but under hard braking the rear wheel can get a bit loose. And of course, when doing slow speed u-turns or parking lot maneuvers I always work the clutch and rear brake in order to maintain balanced and upright position without needing to put a foot down.

Having gigantic 310mm rotors are there for a reason.

1713449577801.jpg

Almost front only for me.

Interesting, because I mountain bike a ton as well, and with that, I nearly only use the rear brake. I am lucky that the front brake on a motorcycle is my right hand, and the rear brake on a mountain bike is my right hand...easy to get it right. I can see on a cruiser where you may use both brakes, but on anything sporty, the front is the MAJORITY of your braking power.

My Vitpilen has ABS on front and rear, but my MG is old school...I will touch the rears about once a ride to make sure they are clean and ready to be used in emergency, but it certainly is not used often.

When I used to ride, the back brake was my primary. My front was too light and would lose traction quickly. I practiced defensive riding but when needed, used both.

I do not ride anymore, but when I did I used both brakes all of the time. If you need to brake hard in an emergency and you are used to using only one brake what do you think you will use in that emergency?

I don't ride much any more. But I always use both. Much more front brake than rear, but always both.

I can see how the power of the front brake can be enticing, to the point of using it only. But for me at least, using both gives so much more control.

Why not use both equally? That's what I've always done. By equally i mean pull the levers equally. No sure exactly what that equates to brake power wise. Probably different bike to bike.

When I was a kid, a few of my bicycles were equipped with cantilever style rim brakes which performed modestly. When linear pull brakes arrived on the market, they provided a drastic increase in stopping power. They were fine under normal circumstances, but panic stops were a whole different story. You have significantly less time to think about modulating the lever when an animal runs out in front of you.

Changes in braking technology forced riders to re-adapt and this became ingrained in our behavior. Most people are aware of the dangerous consequences associated with locking up a front wheel on a bike or motorcycle (many sport-oriented versions have dual front disks now) and so, they instinctively develop a gentle braking hand.

Ever since I learned how to ride, it's always been both brakes together. With ABS becoming mainstream on bikes, there's no reason NOT to get used to using both brakes all the time and as hard as needed since they will not lock up.

Always use both brakes even for gentle braking to maintain the correct habit. Locking up either brake is a recipe for an off. Those that use the rear brake only should be shown a video of a high side. If you lock the rear and the rear drifts sideways as a result, which it often will, then when the brake is released the rear end will snap back in and at the very least give the rider a serious fright. I had one of those frights a long time ago, way before ABS had been invented and it gave me a life long lesson on using both brakes. I still don't have ABS now so the lesson is still valid.

Question: do you think the general motorcycle riding public has any higher skill level than the driving public? As in riders purposely practicing hard braking etc. The answer would be there.
No.

Having helped teach advanced riding and racing classes, most riders have a lot to learn. Even the best Moto GP riders are always learning. I know I'm always learning.

I recall one student who stated he didn't need to be there, as he had 30 years of riding experience. He was just there as his wife had signed him up for the course. By the end of the course, he amended his statement to having 1 year of riding experience, 30 times.

As for brakes, there's a reason motorcycles have more capable front brakes. On the racetrack, the front brake can be 100% of your braking power, as the rear tire could be in the air. Maximum braking on the street to avoid a crash, can achieve the same thing. Using the rear brake is appropriate in several circumstances, learning what those are is something every rider should strive for.

Tires can take a surprising amount of load. At the traction limit, those loads NEED to be applied and released smooooooothly. On and off the throttle smoothly, as well as the brakes. Too many riders apply and release the brakes and throttle in an abrupt manner, which shock loads the tire contact patch. If you're at the limit of traction when that happens, you and the bike are likely going down.

How often have we heard from unskilled riders, "I had to lay 'er down" to avoid a crash. They would be much better served to learn to ride and use the brakes in a competent fashion, to avoid a crash. A bike/person slide further, than an upright bike on it's tires with the brakes applied at maximum effort can stop.

Always use both brakes even for gentle braking to maintain the correct habit. Locking up either brake is a recipe for an off. Those that use the rear brake only should be shown a video of a high side. If you lock the rear and the rear drifts sideways as a result, which it often will, then when the brake is released the rear end will snap back in and at the very least give the rider a serious fright. I had one of those frights a long time ago, way before ABS had been invented and it gave me a life long lesson on using both brakes. I still don't have ABS now so the lesson is still valid.
That lesson is very much valid even with ABS. If your habit is to use the rear brake first, in an emergency that’s what you will do and forget to use the front. You will be only using about 20% of your available braking power, probably more like 10%.

I think the better question - why don't people use the front brake?

Over 70% of a motorcycles braking capability comes from the front brakes. Only an ignorant rider tires to stop the motorcycle with the other 30% and ignores the major stopping power of the front brake.

Back