why be concerned about type of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as if any modern oil will do a good job for 3,000 to 5,000 miles, perhaps 10,000 miles. Therefore why be concerned over brand, type and perhaps even weight of oil? Just put in the cheapest and on sale oil with a high quality filter.

Last edited:
For most people, you are probably right. But that would take all the fun out of things. No more oil stash, no more oil phobia's, no more oil web sites...

Last edited:
Russell has seen the light ....
wink.gif

then you'd just be a cheap s.o.b.

really want to cheap out on motor oil?

I think one of the reasons I like it so much, is that, for a poorer person like me, it is one of the few things where I can afford [censored] near the best of the best.

I can't go buy a Maserati

I can't go rent a learjet

I can't buy my wife the biggest coach purse

but I can buy top of the line oil! Live it up

Originally Posted By: 38sho

I think one of the reasons I like it so much, is that, for a poorer person like me, it is one of the few things where I can afford [censored] near the best of the best.

Rather buy 500 worth of oil then spend 500 dollar on a coach made in china bag.

russell --as well -- what if there was no reason for bitog to exist? the bitogers' wives would be happy.
no more secret stashes of oil for her to trip over.
no more oil in the freezer for pour point experiments.
no more keeping oil in the house in the winter, so it doesn't get cold.
no more bitogers "pms'ing" when the olm is nearing zero.
oh -- the humanity !!! sorry, guys -- momentary lapse of reason.it's time to fire one up, and watch the ball game.have a good night.

Originally Posted By: Russell
It seems as if any modern oil will do a good job for 3,000 to 5,000 miles, perhaps 10,000 miles. Therefore why be concerned over brand, type and perhaps even weight of oil? Just put in the cheapest and on sale oil with a high quality filter.

I would disagree about the weight, but for the most part the brand doesn't make any difference. I prefer the oil that makes the least impact on my wallet.

From Dr Haas, it is clear that you will not lose the bug once you come into all that money:

I personally used 0W-20 Mobil 1 in the 575 Maranello and for the first oil change I drained the Murcielago’s (OEM) 5W-40 Agip and replaced it with 0W-30 Mobil 1. The engine became much quieter. A valve tappet noise disappeared. I then used the 5W-20 Red Line in the Lamborghini. Used oil analysis showed that this oil worked well for my non racetrack application. The same oil went into my Maybach 57. My Enzo Ferrari calls for the Shell Helix Ultra racing 10W-60 but I have used the Castrol Syntec European Formula 0W-30. This is different than the easy to find plain 0W-30 Syntec. It MUST say European Formula across the front of the label. I buy it at AutoZone stores but it is often mixed with the plain stuff. I am now using Renewable Lubricants Inc. (RLI) 0W-30 in the Enzo and 0W-20 RLI in the new Maybach 57s AMG.

You have to try by experimentation what operating oil grade your engine requires. In all cases however, you want the oil that gets least honey-like at startup and thins to the appropriate thickness for normal operation. Always recheck the oil label as they change a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell

Oil weight is something that matters. Especially if you have an engine like my 08 5.7L HEMI with MDS that has to have a 20 weight oil to operate properly( MDS ). Also, if an engine was built to spec using 20 or 30 weight it may not be a good idea to run 20W-50.

Overall you are right but weight can matter and as others have said what fun would it be if we didn;t care about brands?

I can now see why you can't do those things with that mindset.
smirk2.gif

Good to see the justification of some users. Never mind what you are doing does not matter.

"Since I can not afford to rent a Learjet I'm going to use expensive syn oil... " "live it up!"
crackmeup2.gif

You made my day!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back