who makes the best fuel system cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used so many!
shocked.gif

My fave for quick clean-up is still Red Line Oil SI-1.

Currently, I use FP60 more than others ... but really liked Scaeffer Neutra 131 as well.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

FIL did.

My Father Inlaw is a extremely picky about anything I ever recommend and rarely gives me positive feedback about anything he trys on his cars.

He is also a retired ICBM guidance chip tech for US Government and meticulous about anything mechanically oriented or engineered. He is not easily impressed by any additive or latest "craze".

He decided to order LC and FP60 for his 2003 Buick 3.8 V6 Park Avenue, specifically measuring MPG using LC/FP driving from Florida back up North to Indiana.

Running 72 MPH and using 1 ounce LC per qt in the crankcase, 1 ounce per 5 gallons FP60 in regular gas, he recorded 33MPG, this +1.5 MPG over the "normal" ( yes he has records) 31.5 MPG economy. He noted that most of the trip was into a head wind as the occluded frontal weather was laying over that part of the country last week.

I used to use Berrymans Chemtool at OCI and MMO routinely. It kept all clean.

I recently started using FP60 and noticed an immediate difference in power, responsiveness and the engines on both cars run smoother. The wifey asked me what I did to her car (Yukon XL) to make it "zippy".

As far as gas mileage improvement.... none noticeable in the 2002 Yukon XL 5.3l but a consistent 3mpg in 1996 Ranger 4.0l. The Ranger was running like a dog when I started using FP60, much improved now.

Can't wait to try LC to see what it does!

Well, I can say that my MPG seems to have improved. My last tank before the additives I got 14.7 MPG and a lot of that was driving it pretty nicely.
This tank I've been beating the crap out of it and it's at 15.5 according to the overhead trip computer.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
SNIP

Running 72 MPH and using 1 ounce LC per qt in the crankcase, 1 ounce per 5 gallons FP60 in regular gas, he recorded 33MPG, this +1.5 MPG over the "normal" ( yes he has records) 31.5 MPG economy. He noted that most of the trip was into a head wind as the occluded frontal weather was laying over that part of the country last week.

That's AMAZING gas mileage in a Park Avenue. Those things are heavy. My Olds 98 was around the same weight and I never got that kind of mileage on the highway.
He must turn that thing off every time he hits a downhill grade.

With the high gearing they have and the 3800 V6, it's entirely possible. I had a buddy of mine with a '97 Bonneville that got better MPG than my lighter '97 Grand Prix. 30+ was easily achievable with his Bonnie, but a rarity with the GP.

Have a Subaru 2.5 engine that at about 10,000 miles began to stumble a bit at idle. Techron used in tank. Fixed it, for a while. The stumble is back at 15000 miles, and just put my first dose of FP60 in. I hope it works, because I bought a whole gallon! Have another of these engines with 1800 miles on it, just began it on FP60...hope it will prevent the 10000 mile stumbles.

I went to the auto store trying to figure out which gumout product was the "regane" which is supposed to be so good. It's the one they are sold out of.

pat.gif

skate1968,

If that was at an Advance Auto Parts and you weren't told by one of the employees that they were out of it, the Regane might have been on an end-of-aisle display. Recently at three AAPs I've noticed the alloted shelf space empty, only to find at least twenty on an endcap display along with some Gumout product in a gray/grey/silver-ish bottle.

Thanks XB,
This was autozone. It's like all of the employees were having a lazy contest. Several employees ignored me standing at the register before one of them rang me up.

I told the guy that they were out. And he said yes. But they had a lot of supplies that just arrived and that they might have it on the shelf tomorrow. He, of course, didn't offer to go look in the back.

Either Taurus will start pinging at some point, even with regular use of Chevron gas, and so far Chevron fuel system cleaner seems to be the only thing that stops it. MMO didn't prevent pinging from starting up, suggesting that it wasn't cleaning as expected, so I quit using it. I also tried some Regane but it didn't stop pinging until I ran some Chevron fuel system cleaner thru it, again suggesting that it wasn't cleaning as well. Both cars are addicted to the Chevron I guess.

skate1968,

I think your AZ crew must've been in the same Customer Service class as the ones I've dealt with recently.
lol.gif

For simply cleaning fuel injectors I found Redline SI-1 did the best one-tank cleaningn compared to the other previously mentioned. However, I've been regularily using FP-60 on my new Sienna van and am quite pleased with it.

I found the Gumout Regane and put it in the tank. And as someone mentioned earlier I was surprised at how "Regane" was written in such small print. You'd think that since "Regane" is rated highly they'd try to label it more clearly.

surfstar said: "FYI: GUMOUT® LARGE VEHICLE FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER has the same ingredients as Regane."

Not necessarily true, if you look at the MSDS. The first item listed for Regane is Kerosene (CAS 8008-20-6, 60-70%), while the first item for the Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner is a 60-70% mixture of Petroleum Distillates. Which could be, for example, Naptha, and not Kerosene, or some other combination.

I agree the Polyetheramine is probably the same.

The real question, then, is since they both seem to have the same concentration of polyehteramine, do they both work equally well! I'll stick with my free Regane, free Techron, and my FP60 until these other Gumout formulatios prove themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back