Who makes SuperTech 5w30 Conventional Oil? (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering who makes Walmart SuperTech oil. I just picked up a 5 quart jug for $8.99 and a quart of make up oil. I read in another thread that you can determine who made it based on markings on the bottom of the containers. Thanks

DSC_1017.jpg

DSC_1021.jpg

Last edited:
If the opening is 1.25" or so in diameter, XOM. Smaller, that Warren operation.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If the opening is 1.25" or so in diameter, XOM. Smaller, that Warren operation.

Really? The bottles I bought have a really large opening so I guess it's made by exxonmobil.

I also just found this a few minutes ago.. it says it's made by ashland (confused). I guess it's kind of difficult to actually tell what you're getting when it's walmart.

http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/346491.pdf

CCC is Continental Can Corp. Yes, they make plastic now but CCC is their trademark.FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
CCC is Continental Can Corp. Yes, they make plastic now but CCC is their trademark.FWIW--Oldtommy

Agreed. The CCC on the bottom is the manufacturer of the packaging, not the contents. I don't believe that Continental Can has ever blended oil.

The quart containers of supertech I have here all say WPP on the bottom of them. Warren makes the oil and the bottle for the quart that I have.

Walmart must be using a different vendor for this product in other areas of the country.

The containers that you took are Mobil supplied. So the Supertech is Mobil oil.

In other parts of the US its Warren. If you did a search you would have found this out QUICKLY.

Bill

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
CCC is Continental Can Corp. Yes, they make plastic now but CCC is their trademark.

CCC is Consolidated Container Company who makes blow-molded plastics: http://www.cccllc.com/ for more information.

Continental Can was dissolved into other companies in 1991 and ceased to exist (except in name only)... I know as I work with many ex-Continental employees and on plenty of equipment that once resided in their R&D center.
wink.gif

Dumb question; Why is the MSDS posted above talking about SOPUS products? Is Mobil/Warren getting additives from SOPUS?

In northern Illinois our SuperTech bottles say Warren Oil on the back of them. It's in small print, but it is labeled clearly as Warren on the back label.

Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Dumb question; Why is the MSDS posted above talking about SOPUS products? Is Mobil/Warren getting additives from SOPUS?

I think at one point ST was made by Quaker State. Those bottles definitely look like EOM.

Mobil also sprays their bottles with this dot-matrix inky stuff that's sometimes only visible under UV light, but sometimes visible in the open.

It's the date/time of manufacture and some other stuff, and their private label oil follows the same format.

That mag-1 bottle looks awesome! I'd buy it just for its exclusivity. QS must be licensing their clear-bottle trademark now.

You should know WM is continually looking for lower priced suppliers. Like any of these companies they give a contract to supply x amount of products. The next time they need to fill the warehouse with this item, a new lower bidder may get the contract. To WM its all about getting the cheapest, nothing else is of concern because motor oil is just a commodity to them, all is the same, the brand or who makes/supplies it means nothing to WM.

Btw-Even though a major oil company may be the supplier is no reason to assume its the very same formulation.

I fella I have known all my life is a route distr. for a large well known bakery chain serving nearly 50 stores and restaurants on his route They (the bakery owned by nat't chain) also make WM brand bread (in this region, about 1/2 doz stores he claims) as well as several local grocery store chain. According to him the bread in the WM and other store brands is the same bread but its not the same exact bread as his national brand. He places the stores brand on these shelves, he said they are all the same but not the same as the name on his truck.

So just like there are many difference recipes and qualities of ingredients to make bread, there are many recipes and qualities of ingredients to make motor oil.

So assuming because one major company makes its the same product is a false assumption. If the bakeries have a different bread you can bet the oil companies have a different oil for the WM brand. I know the bread is different because I have eaten it. While the local brands are fine, the national brand does taste better IMO.

To my knowledge, the CCC marked ST oil is made by EM while the WPP is made by Warren.

Where in Rockland County, NY is WM selling the 5 quart jug for $8.99? When I was in the Suffern/Tallman store a few weeks ago it was $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back