Which tires for 2014 Mustang GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: needsducktape

Funny, I just bought the coopers RS3-A for my Audi and they are dead silent !

Same here on my MS3 and X3, even after 40k miles...

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Also look at the Mickey Thompson Street Comp tire it is made by Cooper tire and gets great reviews on the Mustang forums. They are also a pretty good price at americanmuscle.com although you just missed $100.00 off of four MT tires. MT did a boat load of testing and development of this tire it took them over two years to develop with Cooper tire and there main test car was a Mustang GT.

Are the M/Ts also made in China, like every Cooper??

IF I had a new 'stang, it would get nothing less than the PSSes everyone is raving about, for summer donuts (I would even consider spending the coin on some VERY sticky, even higher performance, 100 treadwear rubber for summer only, if it were my GT.
wink.gif
).

That being said, both the BFG (owned by Michelin now, so you hopefully get some of their magic tech in these) g force Super Sport all seasons, AND their summer only Sport Comp 2s, are excellent, lower buck, higher treadwear choices as well.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Only one summer tire here: Michelin PSS.

Smooth, quiet, extreme traction, and warranted to go 30k miles!

An unbelievable combination...

This.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Also look at the Mickey Thompson Street Comp tire it is made by Cooper tire and gets great reviews on the Mustang forums. They are also a pretty good price at americanmuscle.com although you just missed $100.00 off of four MT tires. MT did a boat load of testing and development of this tire it took them over two years to develop with Cooper tire and there main test car was a Mustang GT.

Pablum. The COOPERS on my Dakota are US-made, so were the last set on my Caddy! The Mastercrafts (Cooper) on my mother's Sable were also US-made.

Originally Posted By: wtd
My 14 Mustang GT still has the original Pirelli PZero Nero tires on it which in my opinion suck. They are very noisy and seem to be out of round since when I put the rear of the car up on jackstands and let the car run in drive, the tires seemed to move side to side. I have never did a burnout or anything else to these tires so it can't be that(unless someone at the dealer has done it the few times the car has been there for warranty work).

The tires only have 10,300 miles on them and have been rotated twice, at 5,000 miles and at 10,000 miles.

What brand and actual tire would you recommend for this car. I will keep the original recommended speed rating. Tires are 235/50/18. Thanks.

Wayne

The best DOT approved tire I've EVER had on a late model Mustsng was the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. The grip, wet,or dry conditions was Phenomenal.

Z.

Thanks for all of the replies. I don't drive this car in bad weather so technically I don't need an AS tire even though that is what is on my car now. I do want something that will last awhile so I don't know if a summer only tire will work. I will probably stay with an AS tire.

The Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3's were one of the tires I was considering. I had Cooper RSA's(I think that was what they were called) on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged and I were not impressed with them. I had a vibration in the front end of the car even when everything checked out with the wheels(new) and suspension.

I just want something that is going to be a lot quieter than these Pirelli's. I cannot stand to ride in the car with the windows up because the tire noise is so loud.

I will check out the other tires that you guys have recommended. Thanks again.

Wayne

Since you don't need an all-season tire, another one to consider is the Continental DW max performance summer tire. It has great grip, wet or dry, and is lower cost than Michelin PSS's.

IF I had a new 'stang, it would get nothing less than the PSSes everyone is raving about, for summer donuts (I would even consider spending the coin on some VERY sticky, even higher performance, 100 treadwear rubber for summer only, if it were my GT.
wink.gif
).

That being said, both the BFG (owned by Michelin now, so you hopefully get some of their magic tech in these) g force Super Sport all seasons, AND their summer only Sport Comp 2s, are excellent, lower buck, higher treadwear choices as well.

Cooper Tires are American made. Dunlops are good tires too. I have Continentals on my Challenger and they are holding up very well.

I have never did a burnout or anything else to these tires so it can't be that(unless someone at the dealer has done it the few times the car has been there for warranty work).

Sorry I can't recommend a tire Wayne, but this sentence made me remember something.

I sometimes do business on a street in kansas city where Ford (or an affiliate) has a storage lot for new F150's. I assume they're waiting for shipment in that lot. Anyway, while at a tire shop on that street I heard a bunch of burning rubber and soon after, two new F150's went flying by drag racing side by side ( it's a 4 lane street ).

Farther down the street they slammed on the brakes and turned into the storage lot. Who knows how often that goes on? Personally, I'd like to knock their heads together for doing that.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Pablum. The COOPERS on my Dakota are US-made, so were the last set on my Caddy! The Mastercrafts (Cooper) on my mother's Sable were also US-made.

Sorry, I meant to say every performance oriented Cooper.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zray
The best DOT approved tire I've EVER had on a late model Mustsng was the Goodyear F1 GS-D3. The grip, wet,or dry conditions was Phenomenal.

That was probably the best street tire Goodyear ever made!
thumbsup2.gif

But sadly, it is made in very few sizes now, and likely will be phased out in the near future.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Cooper RS3-A for Winter
Michelin PSS for Summer
Works great for me...

The Cooper RS3-a I looked at were made in CHINA...

For those who care about these things...

The Michelin Pilot AS 3 was made in Usa and Canada...!

I have never been a Goodyear fan as all of the Goodyear tires I have used didn't last very long. The factory Goodyear that came on my 98 Chevy k1500 did not wear well at all and were pretty much shot at around 25,000 miles. Same thing on the factory Goodyears that were on our 98 Grand Prix GT.

I've read some good things about the Continentals DWS tires. Thanks to all of the good suggestions.

Wayne

I have never been a Goodyear fan as all of the Goodyear tires I have used didn't last very long. The factory Goodyear that came on my 98 Chevy k1500 did not wear well at all and were pretty much shot at around 25,000 miles. Same thing on the factory Goodyears that were on our 98 Grand Prix GT.

I've read some good things about the Continentals DWS tires. Thanks to all of the good suggestions.

Wayne

You yourself gave the reason why you didnt like them. They are factory OEM tires, ie made by Goodyear to meet requirements ( including treadlife ) specified by Chevy. Retail Goodyears are very different. Other than SR-As ( i hate these tires ), afaik, all my customers are getting good wear and treadlife very close to that stated by the manufacturer. We even have customers exceeding treadlife warranty on certain Wrangler tires ( Silent Armors in particular ). Give them a shot, you will be very surprised how much you like a tire that is actually designed and manufactured by GY from their own research. Especially their Eagle lineup.

My summer set on the G is Michelin PS3 All Seasons, and the only reason I bought those is because GY does not make the F1 Asym All Seasons in my staggered fitment.

Disclaimer : Yes I do work for Goodyear, but as proved in the above statement, I value quality and performance over a certain brand name. Like all manufacturers out there, GY makes a great tire and a [censored] one too.

Originally Posted By: bourne

Wayne

You yourself gave the reason why you didnt like them. They are factory OEM tires, ie made by Goodyear to meet requirements ( including treadlife ) specified by Chevy. Retail Goodyears are very different. Other than SR-As ( i hate these tires ), afaik, all my customers are getting good wear and treadlife very close to that stated by the manufacturer. We even have customers exceeding treadlife warranty on certain Wrangler tires ( Silent Armors in particular ). Give them a shot, you will be very surprised how much you like a tire that is actually designed and manufactured by GY from their own research. Especially their Eagle lineup.

My summer set on the G is Michelin PS3 All Seasons, and the only reason I bought those is because GY does not make the F1 Asym All Seasons in my staggered fitment.

Disclaimer : Yes I do work for Goodyear, but as proved in the above statement, I value quality and performance over a certain brand name. Like all manufacturers out there, GY makes a great tire and a [censored] one too.

The factory tires on my truck were Goodyear Wrangler RTS which was also sold retail at the time and may even be sold now. The car came with Goodyear Eagles of some sort which were also sold retail as I had to get a replacement a year or so later for one that got a spike in it. I bought it from tirerack.com. Goodyear tires may be better these days. Thanks for the info.

Wayne

The factory tires on my truck were Goodyear Wrangler RTS which was also sold retail at the time and may even be sold now. The car came with Goodyear Eagles of some sort which were also sold retail as I had to get a replacement a year or so later for one that got a spike in it. I bought it from tirerack.com. Goodyear tires may be better these days. Thanks for the info.

Wayne

Even sold retail they can be the oem spec rubber.
frequently some sizes are oem and some are "retail formulation"

so in this case you should blame ford for the terrible goodyear wrangler rts

I had those on my 2002 ranger and junked them at 14500 miles.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Gawd, my new Ram has Goodyear Wranglers on it. I sure hope they are worth a hoot. Time will tell...

Most of the new Rams have the Silent Armor tire as OEM equipment, which is an awesome tire and has a cult following at my store. Some of my customers are on their third set, they nearly always exceed tread life warranty period if taken care of.

If they are the SR-As, well you are SOL
frown.gif

Wayne

They are soon going to be discontinuing RTS, again hate that tire. Eagle is the family name, the OEM Goodyear tires are usually Eagle RS-As, LS and LS-2. Although, the new Impalas and Cadillac are coming OEM equipped with RS-A2 tires, which is completely in a different league in terms of performance vs the regular RS-A.

For your application I highly suggest you look into the Eagle F1 Asymmetric line, either Summer or All-Season. Only other tire I know that compares are the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back