Which oil filter for 94 civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, i am wondering which oil filter i should go with next oil change. i usually use mobil1 530 syn and a mobil1 oil filter, but am thinking of switching to amsoil 530 syn, should i use an amsoil filter? keep using mobil 1 filters? k and n filter?

OEM filters are pretty good. If you want an above-average store-bought filter, the Royal Purple and K&N ones are decent.

If your going for long OCI's then sure. Or else just get something like a Purolator. Cheap and work well. If your not running it for a longer OCI's save your money.

Despite the fact they look and feel nice (to the touch), I would not use a Mobil 1 filter in anything but a very gently driven car/application. Very restrictive. If you are running a lot of RPMs in, say, parking lot racing, this can pose a problem (oil starvation).

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Despite the fact they look and feel nice (to the touch), I would not use a Mobil 1 filter in anything but a very gently driven car/application. Very restrictive. If you are running a lot of RPMs in, say, parking lot racing, this can pose a problem (oil starvation).

Do you have any actual proof of this?

Sounds like a racer that prefers K&N. Okay, so how close am I?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: FMC
How important is the Total Inlet Opening Area (sq mm) ?
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/filterconstruction.htm

I don't see any data in that summary table showing what the area of the main center hole the filter mounts to. Most likely, the total area of the inlet holes on the base plate will be more than the area of the hole in the fitting that the filter mounts to. IMO, not a concern. I'd look more at the total media area and the filtering efficiency.

well i usually run mobil1 5w30 and mobil1 filter and change every 5k, i was hoping to run amsoil 530 (or 0w30?) syn and change it every 10k (if safe, i run my car hard) and a GOOD filter. i have never heard or read anything bad about mobil1 oil filters, or k&N.

but what do you think about amsoil oil filters?

amsoil 5w30 and ea oil filter should be great for more than 10k miles, right? i'd never go past 10k on oil/filter regardless how long they last, but i'd be safe running my engine hard with amsoil oil/filter for 10k right?

Amsoil filter are really good. They use Synthetic media instead of the Cellulose paper. RP also use the same material. If you can afford it, I'll give it a chance.

Don't use K&N is a Mobil1 for more money!

so i'd be safe with 10k intervals using amsoil 530 syn and amsoil ae filter? even tho i drive my car hard?

The only way to truly tell is through a UOA. I run $2.80 Quaker State filters for 9k miles and they are just fine... but I believe they are close to the end of a useful life at that point.

The Amsoil filter will have no problems going 10k.

The only time you might have issue is if it takes you more than a year or two to gain that milage.

Originally Posted By: R2d2
For a 94? The cheapest filter (and oil) I could find that meets specs, probably supertech.

sorry, never ran anything other than mobil1 5w30 with mobil1 filter, except for royal purple/kn filter 2 changes, then back to mobil1...

will def try amsoil syn oil/filter and see how 10k goes. im tired of changed my mobil1 every 5k :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back