Which is the best High Mileage Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best HM oil. Any oil which is the correct weight for your engine. There is no mechanic in a bottle. As Cooper sai, fix any leaks, then use the correct weight of syn, conventional or HM and all will make your engine outlast the frame.

Stombony and Cooper, I think I started on HMs in my 88 323 (215k miles) around 1999 or 2000. They have essentially fixed a smoke at start-up problem for all these many years. It would probably cost more than this car is worth to do the needed gasket work. So HMs have their place in certain situations (imo).

This is just My Opinion and I have then separated between FULL SYN and BLEND and there are some High Mileage Oils that are PURE DINO.

Full Synthetics

#1 Valvoline Max Life ( FULL SYNTHETIC )

#2 Mobil 1 High Mileage ( FULL SYNTHETIC )

Blends

1# Valvoline Max Life Syn Blend
or Valvoline Max Life Next Gen Syn Blend

2# Quaker Start ** DEFEY ** High Mileage Syn Blend ** W boosted ZINC

3# Castol High Mileage ( Part Synthetic )

4# Pennzoil High Mileage ( PURE DINO / Not even a BLEND )

5# Texaco High Mileage ( PURE DINO / Not even a BLEND )

5# Super-tech High Mileage ( Pure Dino / Not even a Blend )

Last edited:
I have had the most success with Pennzoil High Mileage and QS Defy.

Maxlife did fine but didn't do as good a job at reducing consumption.

Our Toyota echos 1.5 quart consumption was completely fixed with Pennzoil High Mileage and my Dakotas 0.5 quart consumption was fixed with QS Defy.

My fathers VUE is on it's third dose of Maxlife but if the consumption doesn't stop I will switch to Pennzoil High Mileage.

Last edited:
everyone forget about mobil super hm. i been using all kinds of oils, synth, dino, high mileage and all kind of brands too. i have honda civic lx 5 speed with 295k currently on odometer. i been using mostly 10w-30 and 10w-40. i stay on side of hm oils because they are made for the vehicle with high milege. i been using mobil super hm and very good results. the thickest of hm oil is castrol gtx hm 10w-30 have viscosity at 100 celsius 12'0, and also mobil 1 10w-30 hm also 12'0. they are the thickest 10w-30 hm oils, only castrol gtx hm 10w-30 have lover flashing point 399f, vs mobil 1 10w-30hm 449f

Last edited:
Castrol is now "thin" although they have not bothered to update their spec sheets for close to a year now.
spankme2.gif

Mobil Super HM is very interesting to me it's on my short "must try" list no doubt. Have heard nothing but positives about it.

Wow - this is an old thread.

To me, it isn't about which oil is better so much as which oil is a better fit. VML synthetic would be a better choice for a newer budget car wanting to protect the seals. Defy would be the better choice for a beater burning a qt every thousand miles. M1 HM would be a better choice for an old pick up that sees heavy duty use. Pennzoil HM would be a better choice for a car with an unknown maintenance history.

I have over 3000 miles (and a techron treatment) on my current Mobil Super HM (syn blend) oil and it is surprisingly still very golden, not even brown.

I am very surprised at the color of it having checked it this afternoon. I might run it to 5000 miles.

I think the previous fills of Mobil 1 (full syn) and Pennzoild Yellow Bottle helped clean the engine quite a bit leading to this current clean oil.

JC

Originally Posted By: Jameson
I have over 3000 miles (and a techron treatment) on my current Mobil Super HM (syn blend) oil and it is surprisingly still very golden, not even brown.

I am very surprised at the color of it having checked it this afternoon. I might run it to 5000 miles.

I think the previous fills of Mobil 1 (full syn) and Pennzoild Yellow Bottle helped clean the engine quite a bit leading to this current clean oil.

JC
Same/Same result with Mobil Super HM in my Accord after running EP then M1. Makes me wonder if the HM does not clean as well. The Super HM,immediately,stopped my burning/blowby.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Valvoline Maxlife is the finest high mileage oil available. Most people are not worthy of having it though.

Agreed, love the stuff use it exclusively in two of our vehicles both with about 170k on them. Does that make me worthy?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
This Saturn has no leaks. It consumes the oil like in many other Saturn's.

I picked up a nice 2001 SC2 as a commuter car to save some gas money. 131k miles but loaded and very clean. It smoked a little after idling so I just changed the oil to MAXLIFE Syn blend and after about 600 miles on the oil I cannot believe the smoking has almost all gone away.

Valvoline Maxlife is our "go to" oil for any higher mileage vehicle. It seems to work very well, they run quieter and use less oil. Many stop leaking, too.

I also love their trans fluid...

I used to run PHM in my Ranger and liked it a lot. I have a sump full of Maxlife right now and all is good except it is noisy. Going back to PHM next OCI.

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
Quote:
Please list 10 reason why manual is better than auto in a 4-door family sedan.

I was asked this elsewhere and I'm asked the same question on photography forums when I say that I prefer manual focus lenses and manually adjusting exposure in the cameras, and my answer there is this...

85rlccu43b.jpg

...because I can...and because the process and results are much more satisfying knowing that I shot it with my own hands and eyes without automatic anything...and because, in this shot at least, it is unlikely that an AT would have gotten the shot as it is off center (this is a crop of the original), and the AT box might very well not have locked on the feet (as opposed to the wings or tail) as I had...

As for MT vs AT...I'm still young enough and able, thankfully @ 67, to shift with my left leg and appreciate the good fortune to be able to...

I've never felt inconvenienced when driving an MT in traffic...I do have a light foot and don't have to shift and shift and shift and...I've been in ATs that do just that and it drives me crazy...I'm not saying that MTs are better, but I have experienced ATs that aren't as good as me in controlling RPMs for specific needs, whether for cruising or changing lanes, or passing...

I don't argue or begrudge anyone driving an AT....and don't seek to convince anyone to drive an MT...it's just how I prefer to drive...

I'm not sure how a 4-door sedan is any different than a 2-door coupe...I've had both (BMW 2002, Fiat Spider, Mitsu/Plymouth Galant/Sapporo, Audi 5000, Subaru wagon, Nissan Altima) as well as trucks and vans and motorcycles, and would not have had any of them with an AT....

BTW, I DO own and use AF lenses, and DO use cameras in AE mode, it's just not a preference.
???

Mobil1 high mileage is a full synthetic oil.
Mobil Super 2000 is a blend high mileage oil.
Different enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back