which fuel additive for faulty fuel sender

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a faulty fuel sender, but I also need a complete fuel system cleaning. Which product TECHRON® Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner, or something else?

I also plan on doing a RX treatment and I am overdue for a oil change. Is it OK to clean the fuel system with the old filter then change oil when I start the RX treatment.

This is on a truck I am buying from a Friend and I know he is past due on the oil change, but I don't know how bad. He used to maintain the truck but has had money problems for some time now and has neglected the truck. It's a 00 silverado 5.3L

Any opinions?

Gumout Regane. Techron has the same chemicals but it is weaker IMO.

Regane has never failed at giving my engine and fuel system a thorough cleanout. And they dont get much dirtier than my 92 Daytona I bought in Nov.

I dont worry TOO much about the whole,"you need to change your oil after running a fuel cleaner". The only case where it might have merit I think is if you have a fuel dilution problem. If not, then the stuff in the gas will never even contact the oil so no reason to change it.

I would, run the fuel cleaner with the old oil. Change the oil and filter, begin your AutoRX run and follow it through. That way if by chance any fuel cleaner gets into the oil its not there very long and has no chance to interfere with AutoRX.

Will the Gumout Regane work as well on the fuel sending unit as the Techron claims it will? I am complete newbie to this stuff. Maybe they all clean the sending unit and they just don't use it as a selling point.

I am not sure what chemical acts to stop the sulfur, so I cant say really. But it uses the exact same chemical(PEA) as the cleaner, but in a higher amount it seems.

I had to laugh at the title of this topic. If someone can actually produce a chemical that I can pour in my gas tank that will fix a defective fuel level sender, I'll buy as much as you can produce.

The only fix for a defective sender is to replace it.

i was in advance auto today and saw a fuel additive that suposedly cleans sulphur damaged senders.
not sure of brand but it shows before and after pics.
the real funny one is the fuel sytem cleaning for dummies on the same shelf!think dummy books.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
I had to laugh at the title of this topic. If someone can actually produce a chemical that I can pour in my gas tank that will fix a defective fuel level sender, I'll buy as much as you can produce.

The only fix for a defective sender is to replace it.

I'm glad you think it is funny.... My fuel sender works with over a half of tank. Techron claims it will clean the Fuel sender allowing it to work properly. It's not like the fuel sender is completely broke and I am hoping it is just dirty.

the fuel guage in my roommate's 05 Sport Trac started acting up....not moving to "F" when you fill the tank, and taking about 1/2 an hour to show actual quantity.

We added 2 bottles of Techron concentrate and filled the tank all the way to the filler neck.

Ran it to "E", filled back up and the guage works perfectly.

quote:

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:
the fuel guage in my roommate's 05 Sport Trac started acting up....not moving to "F" when you fill the tank, and taking about 1/2 an hour to show actual quantity.

We added 2 bottles of Techron concentrate and filled the tank all the way to the filler neck.

Ran it to "E", filled back up and the guage works perfectly.

Thank You, That is what I wanted to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back