Which Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you had your choice between a 2003 F350 7.3l, 03 dodge ram3500, or a 03 3500 duramax. For reliabilty and longevity. Which and why?

If it were 2003 I would take the Dodge with the Cummins, they have proven very dependable in horrible conditions. Ivw known people with tremendous milelage on them and they love them, transmissions are the weakest link in that chain.I worked for a company and we used 2002 Ford F350s, got them brand new, I had one and although they will really pull a load, we had alot of oil related problems such as leaks and for as new as they were and all the miles they had, I wasnt impressed. No experience with the 2003 Duramax, but my friend bought a new 2006 at work and loves it , plus he's getting great fuel milelage around town, in the 20s, I kick the Hemi when I come home, its in the 10s, and does no work but pull my fat A around.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
If you had your choice between a 2003 F350 7.3l, 03 dodge ram3500, or a 03 3500 duramax. For reliabilty and longevity. Which and why?

I'd take the F-350 easily. The 7.3s were solid and so were the auto trannies. Early Duramaxes had bugs that were not resolved until about 05. Dodge has nothing to offer except the Cummins engine;the rest of the truck leaves much to be desired.

the cummins gets my vote. they just seem to be built better and are very popular around here. the dodge transmission has made great strides since the early/mid 90's. those were some bad transmissions back then.

I agree with John-R on this one.

Salesrep: Contact Dave up at the Schaeffer's warehouse in Merrill, WI. I believe his Duramax is either a 2003 or 2004. It's a very nice truck.

Not a bad choice. All good trucks.

Ford had to be an early 03 if it really had the 7.3l. I have an Excursion and would say the engine is [censored] near perfect except for PMR rods which are only good up to about 400hp.

Dodge - the cummins is awesome but you unfortunatley have to deal with the rest of the truck such as the automatic and steering.

Chevy - duramax and allison are sweet but the 01-03 have injector problems.

Jared

The West Texas Oil Patch as long since decided the Cummin's is the choice over the PowerStroke* from ford.
We have a sister company in Calgary Alb. that works much of the North Slope,Ak etc and pretty much the same holds true there as well.
When its -50 to -65*F(thats minus Fahrenheit) the girls shake out from the boys pretty easily.
With all things equal.....
Treated fuel
Block heaters
In Cab heaters
Extended Idle hours
Exceeded GVW's
The Cummin's earns its keep,day in day out !
Would idling for 3-5 around the clock (24/7)months scare you?
They have 19 units that have done this since new in 2005.

FWIW
The new 5.7 Tundra is also catching on pretty quick for the gas engine crowd.More and more Hemi owners are trading up to them.

Way
32.gif

SSLoneStar, I'm setting here smiling at your location, "UNITED STATE OF TEXAS". I was raised in Texas and lived there for 40 years before moving up to the frozen tundra. Not long after I moved here, my best friend in Ft. Worth called me and wanted to know how I liked the winters up here in "WAUSAU, WI - TEXAS". He thinks everything is just part of Texas.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Way
32.gif

SSLoneStar, I'm setting here smiling at your location, "UNITED STATE OF TEXAS". I was raised in Texas and lived there for 40 years before moving up to the frozen tundra. Not long after I moved here, my best friend in Ft. Worth called me and wanted to know how I liked the winters up here in "WAUSAU, WI - TEXAS". He thinks everything is just part of Texas.

Sorry to interrupt the thread.

The only state with an Embassy in another country
http://www.texasembassy.com/
34.gif

Really too bad you can't spec a work pickup like a class 7 or 8 truck. The Cummins with a Allison tranny would be a great combo.

Of course having a hood that opens like a semi hood would be a plus to. But we can't have everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back