Change diesel oil based on emission factors?

19 Duramax and currently running Chevron Delo 600 ADF. If you no longer had concerns over dpf longevity or other such factors would you keep using the 600 or switch to a more conventional additive package oil? I think I have enough for 2 or 3 more oil changes though. If I changed maybe Kendall dxa 15w40 or Redline possibly though the price is ridiculous.

That Delo solves a potential issue but if you're mostly highway and have longer drives that warm up the diesel then it may not cause issue anytime soon. If you're truck is short tripped city dweller miles then I'd stick with the 600. It's good oil. That being said I'd normally pick a regular oil but I have no DPF so I'm kind of bias on that front.

That Delo solves a potential issue but if you're mostly highway and have longer drives that warm up the diesel then it may not cause issue anytime soon. If you're truck is short tripped city dweller miles then I'd stick with the 600. It's good oil. That being said I'd normally pick a regular oil but I have no DPF so I'm kind of bias on that front.

It's not short tripped at all and is similarly biased. Just wondering if it's worth changing based on the unique additive package it has to a conventional one.

19 Duramax and currently running Chevron Delo 600 ADF. If you no longer had concerns over dpf longevity or other such factors would you keep using the 600 or switch to a more conventional additive package oil? I think I have enough for 2 or 3 more oil changes though. If I changed maybe Kendall dxa 15w40 or Redline possibly though the price is ridiculous.

I kept my emiisions equipment intact but started running A3/B4 oils from the second oci. and even redline hp 20W50. No oil consumption, and no issues of any kind. 1000 miles between regens at times: more in summer, less in winter and less with lots of short tripping, but never less than 300 miles.

The problem is if it burns as burning oil means burning its additives which are higher count in hdeo which damages the equipment, what's your oil consumption then.

The problem is if it burns as burning oil means burning its additives which are higher count in hdeo which damages the equipment, what's your oil consumption then.

No noticeable oil consumption currently. Pcv run to atmosphere also.

If you want to run a 15w-40 then grab either of the two CK-4/SP rated oils on this list. That will keep the emissions happy w/o going all out low like the Delo 600 you're using. There are probably updated CK-4/SP rated oils I've not updated yet on this list but just look at the back of the bottle you're buying to see. Even the Delo 400 SDE is emissions friendly too.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-diesel-oil-database.362789/

Last edited:
If you want to run a 15w-40 then grab either of the two CK-4/SP rated oils on this list. That will keep the emissions happy w/o going all out low like the Delo 600 you're using. There are probably updated CK-4/SP rated oils I've not updated yet on this list but just look at the back of the bottle you're buying to see. Even the Delo 400 SDE is emissions friendly too.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/voa-diesel-oil-database.362789/

I think SDe is being phased out on their new no more conventional push. Can't remember what the replacement blend name is. Emissions aren't an issue anymore. Priority would be engine life.

Here's the article about Chevrons conventional phaseout and replacement.

I think SDe is being phased out on their new no more conventional push. Can't remember what the replacement blend name is. Emissions aren't an issue anymore. Priority would be engine life.

Here's the article about Chevrons conventional phaseout and replacement.
Understood, Then you have many options available. And thanks for that information about Chevron that is very helpful.

Understood, Then you have many options available. And thanks for that information about Chevron that is very helpful.

Yes. I'm primarily just wondering if continuing to use a oil thats primarily emissions based is the best thing or not. Really not enough data on it to say long term since there are only a few UOAs out there.

Moly and boron are the primary additives. Basically limited or no metallic additives. It's kind of a deal of going with something that has years of data or stick with one with basically no long term data.

If oil consumption looks normal, I would switch to a more conventional additive package . I would pick Delvax Extreme 15W-40, personally.. or as others have suggested: CK-4 formulated oils.

Run any CK-4 15w40 you like, if it gets cold where you’re at maybe a full synthetic Rotella T6, Delvac Extreme, and Delo XSP would help with cold starts. Many options are readily available on the shelf at Walmart usually at better price points then typical auto part stores.

Yeah about any CK4 single rated might be a better idea than a SN/SP and CK4 dual rating. Ford for example seems intent that you only use single rated not dual rated, and their motorcraft is straight CK4.

Yeah about any CK4 single rated might be a better idea than a SN/SP and CK4 dual rating. Ford for example seems intent that you only use single rated not dual rated, and their motorcraft is straight CK4.
The newest data is Ford has a specification for it's diesel trucks for example that ends with F1. What I'm seeing now is that there are oils being sold as CK-4/SN dual rated that are on Fords approved list of oils.

The newest data is Ford has a specification for it's diesel trucks for example that ends with F1. What I'm seeing now is that there are oils being sold as CK-4/SN dual rated that are on Fords approved list of oils.
WSS-M2C171-F1 is what you're referring to.

Quite a few engine oils that meet that spec, including CK4 rated ones. They apparently had an issue with low phosphorus in some CK4/SN formulations, and said CJ4 was ok till then. They seem to have updated that advice given the number of CK4 oils listed here.

Back