Where Can I Find Valvoline ATF+4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very easy to find. I doubt the 220k on the tranny had little to do with Valvoline and more to do with driving habits, maintenance and a little luck.I know you do not want to hear it but Supertech is just as good and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Carquest writes their name on the Valvoline ATF+4. I use their fluid sometimes because the price is lower than it is in other stores.

Crazyoildude - I hear this "it's all the same" talk all the time as well. I am definitely on your side on this. Here's a perfect example to back us up, let's put this in engine oil terminology:

All brands of engine oil are the exact same if they meet the GM Dexos 1 spec. WRONG! As we all know, anyone that believes ALL formulations of Dexos 1 are the EXACT same is a fool. So why should you or I believe this is true with ATF+4?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Crazyoildude - I hear this "it's all the same" talk all the time as well. I am definitely on your side on this. Here's a perfect example to back us up, let's put this in engine oil terminology:

All brands of engine oil are the exact same if they meet the GM Dexos 1 spec. WRONG! As we all know, anyone that believes ALL formulations of Dexos 1 are the EXACT same is a fool. So why should you or I believe this is true with ATF+4?
21.gif

Because their licensing programs and requirements are different. even though both are run by the same CQA, the requirements themselves are set by their customers, GM and Chrysler, which are two different companies.

Dexos is just a spec. Slightly lower NOACK and a few other things. GM allows CQA to license anything that meets their standards. GM even said they'd license a group II if it met dexos requirements.

Chrysler is a lot more childish with their ATF+4 licensing. It's not just a spec to them. Chrysler requires not only a group III, but it has to be from SK, Shell, or Petro-Canada, and they only allow a specific add pack from Lubrizol.

In other words, no matter how much better it is, Chrysler will NOT license your ATF+4 if it's not those EXACT base stock and add packs. For example, Redline C+ is the best ATF for Chrysler transmissions, but they cannot get a license because it's not the group III base stock from one of the three suppliers mentioned above (Redline C+ uses a group V base stock).

Given the above information, you can probably infer why all licensed ATF+4 is the same, and why all licensed dexos is not.

The specification limits the additive, viscosity modifier and the type of basestock that can be used. It is one specific additive and one specific VM both of which come from Lubrizol, the base oil type is specified but not limited to a single supplier. What more reassurance would one want?

If your local parts store doesn't have the Valvoline fluid, just ask them to order some! They should be able to get it the same day or next day at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back