When you see a UOA on any vehicle…

That starts out 0-40 for 4500 miles or less, do you even open it or look at it?? I don’t. There’s nothing to see. Now if it says 10k miles or more, I might open it. It’s very boring to look at a UOA with 5k miles or less.
I used to look at Harley UOA for 5k miles on syn 20-50 oils. There never is anything to see. Those oils will go much longer than the factory OCI but Harley owners won’t push it.

What about the ones that pay for the testing that tells them how long or how much longer they could run the oil, but throw it out and decide to "play it safe" and keep changing it at 1/2 the mileage the analysis says it could go.

I usually look at UOAs that are done on OCI's of over 7K. I expect oils to perform well below that mileage.

Yeah, I don't get doing a UOA at 3k miles on a full synthetic. But you do you. Anything interesting like an EcoBoost over 8k or any 10k+ UOA I'll check out. Most of them are perfectly fine. Then I'll check out a post about the dangers of running over 5k. It's a hoot.

That starts out 0-40 for 4500 miles or less, do you even open it or look at it?? I don’t. There’s nothing to see. Now if it says 10k miles or more, I might open it. It’s very boring to look at a UOA with 5k miles or less.
I used to look at Harley UOA for 5k miles on syn 20-50 oils. There never is anything to see. Those oils will go much longer than the factory OCI but Harley owners won’t push it.

If someone bothers do it I'll look- I wouldn't do it.

Is there ever anything to see? Rarely,

Occasionally you'll find a coolant or head leak.

Although I will look at practically all the UOA data that is shared here on BITOG, I totally understand what you are saying. I want to see how well engines have been protected when oil change intervals are pushed. And when I say pushed, I mean beyond the comfort zone of 3,000 - 6,000 mile oil change intervals that so many choose.

There are exceptions, though. There have been times when someone has shared a less than idea UOA, and have changed oil at a very short interval, in hopes to learn something. I get that.

Last edited:
What about the ones that pay for the testing that tells them how long or how much longer they could run the oil, but throw it out and decide to "play it safe" and keep changing it at 1/2 the mileage the analysis says it could go.
Guilty, Your Honor

I like to peak at the add packs and I’m always interested in viscosity retention as well. You can definitely find some shear in shorter OCIs.

I look at every UOA posted here. There’s always something interesting if you keep an open mind. I’m least interested in exotic oils and additives beyond the oil. Most interested in off the shelf oils. But I’ll read them all regardless.

Agreed - whoop-di-doo! I like to see the viscosity/fuel numbers. Also, single UOAs are nearly worthless for anything else b/c the baseline isn't established. $30 better spent for many on an additional oil change. Also, saying "oil is working great" in these is also funny....how exactly? You could post 10 UOAs on the same engine with varying oil types each change and nobody would know the difference looking at the wear metals etc.

I look at the 2.7 ecoboost ones regardless. All 1 of them

Oil is oil up until about 7k in any gas powered street application. Ain't enough difference to make a difference between Supertech Syn 0-20 and AMSOIL or one of it's cousins 10-40 at 5-7k miles unless you are towing heavy for 5 of those 5-7k

Post something at 12k and up miles and I'll peek at it. I'd run about any oil for 12k - but I wouldn't make a habit of it. I'm one of the 7k range guys even though DATA shows I can go more (on about any oil). I look at it like this: I can run a new chainsaw chain for about 40 hours and replace it when it starts getting dull, but will still cut - or I can run the darn thing until it starts to struggle. Sure, it still works at 'struggle sharp levels' - but it works better at 'man - this thing is getting a little dull'

Spoiler alert - most of them say something along the lines of "this oil is great and perfectly applicable for your application" at anything under 10k

Back