UOA sample medium - can I use my ethanol test tube

I'm just doing my oil change and I would like to get a UOA but once again I neglected to order a sample kit to drain into. I had a briggs and Stratton branded glass test tube for checking ethanol levels (snowblower, 4 lawnmowers and a generator all need to be stored with non ethanol unless I want to clean a bunch of carburetors) so I sprayed out the test tube with brake cleaner several days ago to get rid of residual gasoline. I assume the brake cleaner should leave the bottle as close as possible to not being contaminated for my oil analysis so I filled it with oil straight from the pan to send somewhere soon for analysis. Mainly I'm checking for coolant leaking internally or other issues but I would like to see a reasonable fuel dilution number also, so likely won't be using Blackstone.
Current oil was 4600 miles and exactly 3 months, 13% oil life remaining. 2005 Silverado with 254k miles.
Thanks in advance.

I'm just doing my oil change and I would like to get a UOA but once again I neglected to order a sample kit to drain into. I had a briggs and Stratton branded glass test tube for checking ethanol levels (snowblower, 4 lawnmowers and a generator all need to be stored with non ethanol unless I want to clean a bunch of carburetors) so I sprayed out the test tube with brake cleaner several days ago to get rid of residual gasoline. I assume the brake cleaner should leave the bottle as close as possible to not being contaminated for my oil analysis so I filled it with oil straight from the pan to send somewhere soon for analysis. Mainly I'm checking for coolant leaking internally or other issues but I would like to see a reasonable fuel dilution number also, so likely won't be using Blackstone.
Current oil was 4600 miles and exactly 3 months, 13% oil life remaining. 2005 Silverado with 254k miles.
Thanks in advance.
So you'd like to use some fuel test tubes that you've sprayed w/carb cleaner to send off a UOA in? I'd not do it out of the unknown results from the test or the lab rejecting it but you could call your lab to ask. Give them a call.

So you'd like to use some fuel test tubes that you've sprayed w/carb cleaner to send off a UOA in? I'd not do it out of the unknown results from the test or the lab rejecting it but you could call your lab to ask. Give them a call.
To be clear it was brake cleaner, so it's not really supposed to leave any kind of residue but I don't know for sure that it wouldn't leave something behind. It has dried out for days and looked clean before I put the used oil in it. But if there is any question as to whether it's contaminated I will just leave it to the next oil change.
Next oil change will probably have more fuel dilution because we'll be getting into the colder weather for January and February, next oil change will be in April when it starts to warm up a bit.

To be clear it was brake cleaner, so it's not really supposed to leave any kind of residue but I don't know for sure that it wouldn't leave something behind. It has dried out for days and looked clean before I put the used oil in it. But if there is any question as to whether it's contaminated I will just leave it to the next oil change.
Next oil change will probably have more fuel dilution because we'll be getting into the colder weather for January and February, next oil change will be in April when it starts to warm up a bit.
Yeah, I just don't know what the outcome would be for you. If it's worth the gamble then go for it but I don't know what if any brake cleaner would do. I treat my UOA with kid gloves to make sure everything is perfect LOL. At least I know I've eliminated any issues on my end you know. On to the next one...

Back