When is it time to go up a grade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go up whenever you feel like it. The 2.4 in my Element was noisy with 5W-20. My valve adjustment is right within specs. I switched to M1 0W-40 a long time ago and saw zero change in fuel consumption and decreased wear numbers over several UOAs. You won't hurt a thing.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
OP, does your Accord has mechanical valves? Since you've got 120,000 mi., it may be time for a valve adjustment. Perhaps one or two of them have a little too much lash.

They were adjusted at 100K at the dealer.

That's not to say that they may be out of spec now. Honda owner's manuals state that valve clearance should be checked at 100k mile intervals or when excessive valvetrain noise is noted.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
This also made me wonder who here on BITOG still posts that`s been here the longest,maybe since day one of the forum? That`d be interesting to know.

RtexasF has been on here the longest that I know of and still checks in. Plus he's located down your way.

Give 5w30 a try, I liked it much better than 5w20. As the engine seemed quieter and smoother to me.

Both Fords are doing fine with 0-20, and I have no plans to use something like 0-30. Thousands, perhaps millions of Fords and other makes have use 0-5-20 wt oils for hundreds of thousands of miles with success.

I was a little curious as well. I have two vehicles (both were previously 5w30 back in their day. One is a 2007 Ford Taurus and one is a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (3.3L)

I've been running 5w20 as that is what they are spec'd at. The Taurus seems OK right now but the van is going through a 1/2 qt to 3/4 qt every couple thousand miles. Nothing too bad. I saw they had the Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 in the 5 qt jug so I grabbed two of those fairly inexpensive. I'd like to run them - since it seemed, looking at the specs, the ultra looked to me like a thinner 5w30.....

Originally Posted By: tig1
Both Fords are doing fine with 0-20, and I have no plans to use something like 0-30. Thousands, perhaps millions of Fords and other makes have use 0-5-20 wt oils for hundreds of thousands of miles with success.

Takeaway message is that Ford designed the Subaru engine ?

If they didn't then the design nuances and corporate philosophy the the Subaru engineers work with might lead to different oil requirements and statements in owner's manuals, for different cleint outcomes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back