When did your CVT Transmission break? Or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, CVT's are the 8 track cassette of transmissions. A novel idea for the time in which we live now, but better things will come out of conventional automatics in time. I've driven several vehicles with a CVT, and I find them annoying to drive. They don't seem to get off the line well and they just rev strangely. It's just not comfortable for me. To each their own though. At least the CVT's of today are significantly more reliable than the early attempts of the 1990's!!

I drove a Patriot in 2010 new on a test drive, and the CVT was unnerving.

The noise was a bit grating and hard to get used to, but it was subtle.

It felt sluggish off the line, and the second you took your foot off the gas the car slowed like a mining cart going through a patch of sand covering the tracks.

I mentioned that, and the salesman was quick to say that it is part of the technology to "conserve the brakes". I then told him how I like to coast to red lights when nobody was behind me or roll to stops.

I said to him, "I like to conserve gas."

I felt like you always had to be on the gas, it was just weird.

Comet made a heckofa CVT ("Torque a verter") for go carts and mini bikes...

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
"Everything" is CVT now? I disagree. Conventional automatics are still in the overwhelming majority, and as they continue to add more speeds and smarter torque convertors, it may well be that CVTs never make deep inroads.

Seriously? Honda just added it to their midsize top seller and Toyota is about to add it to their compact top seller. So in the midsize segment, 2 of the top 3 sellers will have CVTs and in the compact segment 2 of the top 4 have a CVT or a DCT (Focus). And if the Sentra makes it back into the top 5, that'll be 3 in the top 5 without a conventional auto.

I'd say those are pretty deep inroads.

My sentra has 90k, runs like new. My Prius had 109k on it before some twit totaled it from behind. I keep the fluid changed every 35k.

Last edited:
My sister 02 murano about 101k miles running good so far,did
drain and fill at 70k,about 7 quart cvt fluid from nissan dealership at 21 dollars a quart..

64,000+ miles on my 2011 Prius and no issues at all with the "CVT." My mother's 2010 Altima V6 has 20k+ with no issues either - and this car is an absolute blast to drive with the CVT.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

And while I do not own one, I heard that they require changing the special fluid more often than a regular transmission, and that the special fluid is very expensive.

Per Nissan, the fluid should be lifetime fill under most operating conditions. You can check the fluid deterioration value using CONSULT-III, but based on the posts I've seen, it rarely exceeds the threshold that would prompt for a fluid change.

All that is offered ?
Then why are Ford / GM cooperating on the development of a new mutispeed conventional automatic ?

My dad's 2004 Civic Hybrid has a CVT...the first one committed seppuku at 38K miles with great shame. Very gently driven, about 70% highway 30% city driving. Honda replaced it under warranty, so I am unsure of the cost. The main symptom was severe shudder on acceleration from a stop.

The second one is still hanging in there, but did need the "start clutch burnished."

It's a known problem with these cars...some eat 3 CVTs before 100K miles.

CVT's have one BIG problem... Lack of torque capacity.

Huge software intervention is used to protect them via torque management. They will never be offered on any seriously powerful car due to these limitations.

With the proliferation of 8, 9, and even 10 speed slushboxes and all the great new DCT's out there I seriously doubt they will be around for long. But if for some reason (cost?) they do hang on they will be for smaller vehicles only.

BTW, a new Accord 4 banger with CVT was driven here recently (shopping for Wifey) and it was vastly improved, actually tolerable to me. So with proper programming they can at least be a reasonable choice.

Last edited:
Call me old fashioned, but, its another technology I'd prefer to avoid if at all possible. Opinions vary.

A friend of mine has a 2005 Ford Freestyle (same thing as Taurus X) with 105,000 miles and still running the way it's supposed to. No problems yet, but that trans would make me nervous because it's so expensive to replace.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I don't trust them - way too many problems.

But I don't understand why. It's two variable pulleys, connected with a belt/band/chain connected to the engine with a torque converter.

A lot less parts than a traditional automatic transmission. If someone could make one that would last, I think they would be an EXCELLENT idea.

Until then, I'll stick with 3 pedals on the floor OR automatics that have been proven to be VERY good.
+1 to all of that.

More CVT problems arose when they were used in automobiles with V6 engines and high torque I4's. I dont think belt or chain CVT's like higher torque applications, at least in non industrial applications.
Also CVT's are not new, I had a late 90's civic with a CVT, ran perfectly for over 200,000kms. I think it was a civic HX?
My cousins Murano CVT completely failed at 70,000kms - the whole unit needed to be replaced not a rebuild, he never towed with it just commuted to work.
Anyway - 2cents

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

BTW, a new Accord 4 banger with CVT was driven here recently (shopping for Wifey) and it was vastly improved, actually tolerable to me. So with proper programming they can at least be a reasonable choice.

My experience has been Jeep CVT, Calibder CVT which are both garbage.

However the Subaru CVT(outback &legacy) was okay but the Honda CVT is really good for a thoughtless driving experience.

Currently have one on my hubrid. Actually like it, so much smoother than a 6 speed. Will it last, will see. I recently drove a small car with a 4 speed (yes 4 speed auto) and the same model with a CVT, no comparison, the 4 speed was horrendous at acceleration, constantly downshifting and no feeling of power at all. The CVT was a no brainer in that comparison. Would a 6 speed have made a difference, maybe.

Last edited:
Last weekend I test drove three Subaru models with CVT: 2013 Outback, 2014 Forester, and 2013 Impreza. All had similar annoying programming that let the engine RPM change at steady throttle. I felt that Nissan did it better - steady throttle input gets you steady RPM once the TCC is engaged. After all, that pedal is only a GO pedal anymore, so the amount I push it is a request for that much power. And I am referring to moderate acceleration and vehicle speeds where the CVT would not be at its tallest ratio with nowhere to go.

And add to that, the 2014 Forester seriously overreacted to a light touch on the go pedal at low speeds. Almost dangerous to drive that one in close creeping traffic.

61,xxx on my Sentra without so much as a hiccup. They are a strange bird and take some getting used to,but i like the seamless shifting after the adjustment period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back