When did auto batteries become so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
Oh gee, that's terrible. I suppose I want them to poison the earth because they're here in the USA.
And I can blame it on "Obama". It's never President Obama with some people.

Huh? I don't see the President mentioned in this thread at all... until you brought him up.

An 1892 vintage factory likely needs refitting. If it's so important, make it a strategic necessity and keep it here like hemp farms for rope.

If the Chinese or anyone else creates unacceptable lead related emissions, forbid their importation.

Oh yeah, the Chinese buy our debt (float our money) so they control the flow of the economy...I forgot for a moment. Kira

Kira, are you picking up a discussion from another thread? I only brought up some economic realities. Lead is heavy, importing and exporting it means serious transportation costs. Less suppliers mean less competition and higher prices. That sort of thing.

BTW Forbidding importation would probably mean no batteries for us, at least until domestic mining got restarted... both would mean REALLY higher prices.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
While batteries are more expensive, they are also better than they have ever been. And the warranties reflect that. Some store brand batteries have 5 year warranties now. And many aren't even prorated. For me at least, battery replacement has become very infrequent, and I can't recall the last time I've had to replace a battery while it was still in warranty.

news to me about the better quality and warranty.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Oh gee, that's terrible. I suppose I want them to poison the earth because they're here in the USA.
And I can blame it on "Obama". It's never President Obama with some people.

Huh? I don't see the President mentioned in this thread at all... until you brought him up.

An 1892 vintage factory likely needs refitting. If it's so important, make it a strategic necessity and keep it here like hemp farms for rope.

If the Chinese or anyone else creates unacceptable lead related emissions, forbid their importation.

Oh yeah, the Chinese buy our debt (float our money) so they control the flow of the economy...I forgot for a moment. Kira

Kira, are you picking up a discussion from another thread? I only brought up some economic realities. Lead is heavy, importing and exporting it means serious transportation costs. Less suppliers mean less competition and higher prices. That sort of thing.

BTW Forbidding importation would probably mean no batteries for us, at least until domestic mining got restarted... both would mean REALLY higher prices.

There was a lead smelting factory that closed recently. I believe it was the last one in the US that could process lead directly from the mine. I think the issue was EPA and all the other agencies would not grant whatever licenses need to upgrade it so it was closed. The Obama angle is that he probably could have pushed for it to be upgraded than closed.

The US still has lead recycling plants though where batteries and other lead products are recycled to be put in other products. Hence the import/export reference.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve

There was a lead smelting factory that closed recently. I believe it was the last one in the US that could process lead directly from the mine. I think the issue was EPA and all the other agencies would not grant whatever licenses need to upgrade it so it was closed. The Obama angle is that he probably could have pushed for it to be upgraded than closed.

The US still has lead recycling plants though where batteries and other lead products are recycled to be put in other products. Hence the import/export reference.

Good riddance if you live in the area.

20 years ago working at the lead acid battery company we made cadmium alloy batteries. All that lead came from Canada and all that we scrapped went back to Canada.

Doe Run in MO was the base pure lead supplier.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/10/20/remaining-lead-smelter-usa-closing/

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
If you live in a large city, there is usually some battery dealers that service the battery needs of electric tow motors. They often sell generic car batteries. Sometimes called blems or rebuilt. I've had excellent results with them and they only cost $60 out the door. Look for a battery "rebuilder" in your town.

I set up my Gremlin for a huge group 31 bus battery because of that. When I put it together, a local place sold "reconditioned" transit bus 31's cheap. If a battery didn't pass a load test (and I think that <95% rated capacity was a fail), it was replaced--and sold for about $40. (Boy, do I wish I could still get THAT deal...)

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Use the AAP 40% off discount code online.

only if you like 1-2 year old battery that is already sulfated.

My battery charger has a "desulfate" setting.
smile.gif
It managed to save the batteries in my Genesis.

When did they get expensive? When the EPA piled on the regulations and the dollar lost half its value. But always remember.... your government cares for you.

While batteries are more expensive, they are also better than they have ever been. And the warranties reflect that. Some store brand batteries have 5 year warranties now. And many aren't even prorated. For me at least, battery replacement has become very infrequent, and I can't recall the last time I've had to replace a battery while it was still in warranty.

Really? Are you not old enough to remember battery warranties that were no more than 36 months, and prorated for 24 of that? If you bought a premium battery, you may get a 42 or 48 month warranty, but still prorated for all but perhaps 16 or 18 months. And no one expected a battery to last much longer than the warranty period, with 3-4 years being about all one would last.

The last few batteries I have replaced have lasted over 6 years. Warranties are better too. I've had batteries with 5 year warranties. And that's full replacement for the entire warranty.

Really? Are you not old enough to remember battery warranties that were no more than 36 months, and prorated for 24 of that? If you bought a premium battery, you may get a 42 or 48 month warranty, but still prorated for all but perhaps 16 or 18 months. And no one expected a battery to last much longer than the warranty period, with 3-4 years being about all one would last.

well, i'm old enough to remember walmart's everstart maxx batteries had 5 years warranty (I used it a few time too). now it's only 3 years and show borderline load test results even when new.

Simply the cost of doing business is up for the makers. Raw materials, safety and environmental costs, and transportation costs are all higher now. Some of this is because of the EPA, and some of this is because of our energy and monetary policies.

Plain and simple though...this is just one little example on how life in America these days is squeezing every last cent from the pockets of the average working joe/jane.

Inflation is what, 2-3% per year? Price of everything goes up. No surprise here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back