Wheeler Dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch it whenever I stumble accross it while channel surfing, which is often. I usually will watch episodes that I've already seen, just to see if I missed anything the first time.

The detail (as compared to other car shows) that Edd goes into with the actual repairs makes it enjoyable for me to watch. The gravy is all of the neat English phrases they use. Who knew that a "punter" was more than just a position player on a football team.

+1 on the "oily bits".

I love this show, because of Ed and the cars they pick to rehab and sell. It recently inspired me to do some deferred maintenance on my car...

It would be awesome to have a mechanic like Ed in my town--or on retainer!

Two thumbs up for this show!

It's hands down better than most of the [censored] that is shown on a TV nowadays.

I have seen only the one he did from India. Ironically, I saw it while going to India. It was an interesting show.

Digging up an old thread here.

I have been watching this show on Youtube and really enjoying it.
OK some parts are staged and each car only seems to have a few issues (my experience tells me there is always a short list, even on the best old cars)
I like the Hands on approach by Ed and the insight you get to the 'Greasy bits' of an eclectic range of cars.

Mike, It seems he is the 'Real Deal' he did earn a living as a Car Trader before moving to TV (but I'm not sure I'd like to be stuck in an elevator with a guy like that!)

I bet working on TV has put some 'dosh' in his 'Sky rocket'.

Good show, i saw one recently where they picked up a twin turbo RX7 from a guy who put thousands into it, including a rebuild. They pimped it out with snake skin graphics, a upgraded intercooler and ended up selling it back to the guy they bought it from!

I don't see how they even get close to profitability when Mike comes over here and buys American cars, like the truck, mustang and that corvette, ships it to England, fixes it up and then sells it in England.

I like the show, kind of witty and Ed gets dirty wrenching the cars, and they never include labor hours of Ed in the equation, but at least they do show how much cash they dumped into some of the cars.

It shows in general why no one makes a living buying and fixing old cars. labor just kills you.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I don't see how they even get close to profitability when Mike comes over here and buys American cars, like the truck, mustang and that corvette, ships it to England, fixes it up and then sells it in England.

I like watching Ed try and fit in a lot of those tiny cars he works on.

He's a really tall guy and British cars seem to be made for midgets.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe

Strange coincidence: In the show where they flip a Citroen 2CV Mike goes to SW France to find a local example.
2 months ago I was sitting at the very restaurant where Mike is searching on his Laptop talking to a man that had imported a Citroen Traction Avant out of the U.S. back to France, He claimed the prices/condition were better in the U.S. than local cars.
Shipping, it seems, was not TOO big a deal.

I have met with people that Deal cars for a living the UK, mostly they tend to stay with one Marque, and may Mix and Match cars (use parts cars) to keep costs down.
Not mentioned in the show is the tendency for the dealer to 'Overlook' a problem in order to Hopefully improve his Bottom line.
Unless things have changed, there is no sales tax on used cars sold privately in the UK.
So Dealers, especially if they deal in cash, can very easily manage a Tax Free income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back