wheel spacers how bad are they on wheel bearings or other suspension components

I have a 2014 911 which runs a 305 tire on an 11 1/2 rim with a 68mm offset. My winter set is 295 tire 70mm offset. I really dont like how the winter set looks as it is about 1/2 further in the body of vehicle. I was considering a 15mm spacer and just wondering about the ill effect bearings etc. Car probably would get driven about 2k on this setup so it shouldnt be a problem. Also what if this became my all year round setup if I put all seasons on it and drove about 7k a year

I'd be most worried about getting salt and chemicals on the body and frame of that car.

But stepping back I'm getting the feeling this is supposed to be one of those humble brag posts where everyone has to guess what car you've put into storage while your poor 911 gets beater duty on marginally mismatched winter tires? The pity the rest of us must feel for your 3% loss of exit ramp speed all while you ignore the real problem of treating your fine car as a mundane example of disposable A to B transportation... Preposterous.

I have a 2014 911 which runs a 305 tire on an 11 1/2 rim with a 68mm offset. My winter set is 295 tire 70mm offset. I really dont like how the winter set looks as it is about 1/2 further in the body of vehicle. I was considering a 15mm spacer and just wondering about the ill effect bearings etc. Car probably would get driven about 2k on this setup so it shouldnt be a problem. Also what if this became my all year round setup if I put all seasons on it and drove about 7k a year
Are the spacers a bolt-on style or just a slip-on? Bolt-on will be fine. With slip-on, you need to make sure you have enough stud length left to properly secure the wheel, usually at least 1/4" or 8 full turns of the nut on the stud.

Are the spacers a bolt-on style or just a slip-on? Bolt-on will be fine. With slip-on, you need to make sure you have enough stud length left to properly secure the wheel, usually at least 1/4" or 8 full turns of the nut on the stud.
I will be getting longer bolts

Rand

Winter wheels are 11 inches 1/2 inch narrower

I will be getting longer bolts

Rand

Winter wheels are 11 inches 1/2 inch narrower
You should be fine, I wouldn't worry to much about it. I ran 1.25" spacers on a 4runner for over 100k with zero issues. Currently have 20mm bolt-on spacers on a corvette for over a year with zero issues as well.

208vette,

Thanks for the response. Nice vette by the way C6 right? They are great cars, 2 of ny neighbors have C6's the torque down low is unbelievable

I thought Porsche and winter were words never used together. Get a Subaru with AWD for winter and Porsche for summer.

Spacers on the rear wheels will have minimal effect in bearing life, if any at all. The wheels will still be occupying a similar footprint to OEM.

I'd be most worried about getting salt and chemicals on the body and frame of that car.

But stepping back I'm getting the feeling this is supposed to be one of those humble brag posts where everyone has to guess what car you've put into storage while your poor 911 gets beater duty on marginally mismatched winter tires? The pity the rest of us must feel for your 3% loss of exit ramp speed all while you ignore the real problem of treating your fine car as a mundane example of disposable A to B transportation... Preposterous.
What a miserable person.

I could write a book at this place, but I'm gonna make it somewhat short:

I would pass on spacers generally. I'm aware Porsche used to use spacers
on some applications from factory. That said spacers affect geometry and
load on the bushings, not on the bearings only. Current Porsches (991/992
in particular) use complex multi-link rear suspensions. These cars are ****
fast. Guess you'd likely want spacers sitting on the front also. These WILL
affect steering geometry and straightline stability. Don't let fool you by the
majority of people who don't know how a well set-up Porsche feels. Some
wouldn't even notice the differences (even though you and I might have a
hard time why they don't). IF you actually still need advice ask experienced
dudes on Porsche forums.

I thought Porsche and winter were words never used together. Get a Subaru
with AWD for winter and Porsche for summer.

Suba...what? Plenty of choice within the Porsche-owned VAG family including
Porsche's own Macan. Does he even need AWD?

I could write a book at this place, but I'm gonna make it somewhat short:

I would pass on spacers generally. I'm aware Porsche used to use spacers
on some applications from factory. That said spacers affect geometry and
load on the bushings, not on the bearings only. Current Porsches (991/992
in particular) use complex multi-link rear suspensions. These cars are ****
fast. Guess you'd likely want spacers sitting on the front also. These WILL
affect steering geometry and straightline stability. Don't let fool you by the
majority of people who don't know how a well set-up Porsche feels. Some
wouldn't even notice the differences (even though you and I might have a
hard time why they don't). IF you actually still need advice ask experienced
dudes on Porsche forums.

Suba...what? Plenty of choice within the Porsche-owned VAG family including
Porsche's own Macan. Does he even need AWD?

If he needs winter tires I assume AWD could come in handy.

I thought Porsche and winter were words never used together. Get a Subaru with AWD for winter and Porsche for summer.
I have a another car for winter. I picked up a winter tire/wheel set for a great price. I use the 911 when roads are clear but with temp in teens or 20's I was a little concerned with damaging the summer compound tires

I ran 1.25" Spidertrax spacers on my Jeep TJ on all 4 corners with both 32 and 33" tires for over 5yrs without issues. I didn't do any crazy offroading mind you, but trails and streets and lotsa highway.

I'm also running 20mm spacers on the rear of my 2014 300 5.7L AWD as the stock wheels are inset way to much. I've had them for the past 1.4yrs without issue so far, though I did need to modify the stock studs ~3mm to get them to fit correctly. I want to space the fronts out about 10-15mm, but haven't got around to getting longer studs yet...

Take them off once in a while and check them and torque your wheels/lugs right. Get decent quality spacers too...

Back