Wheel Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a heck of a time cleaning my Odyssey's wheels. I've used the Mother's brand wheel cleaner and tried microfiber towels, brushes, sponges, etc. But I cannot get the brake dust-y crud out of the little corners. Anyone have a wonder cleaner or tool I'm missing?

I use one of these Griot's Garage wash mitts:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+...er+wash+pads.do

(I highly doubt the brand matters)

Having the thing on your hand combined with those strands seem to make it slightly easier to get into the nooks and crannies. It's still a bit of work though.

I just use it with my regular car wash (Meguiar's Gold Class), after I'm done with the rest of the car. The mitt is only used on the wheels (I have another that I use for the rest of the car).

I've also seen Iron-X recommended. I've not used it though.

http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I am having a heck of a time cleaning my Odyssey's wheels. I've used the Mother's brand wheel cleaner and tried microfiber towels, brushes, sponges, etc. But I cannot get the brake dust-y crud out of the little corners. Anyone have a wonder cleaner or tool I'm missing?

What worked for me (wife's C300 wheels are a real PITA to clean) was spraying the rims with Sonax Wheel Cleaner Full Effect followed by some scrubbing with Daytona Speed Master JR Wheel Brush.

Yeah I mean, that's the thing, I can access the crud. I just can't get it off. I'm scared to try anything too harsh.

From what I can tell, there was no negative side effects of using the Sonax stuff, even though it appears extremely potent. I wouldn't advise using it every week, but once in a while it shouldn't do harm.

Oh this wouldn't be an every week thing. THis would be to get the stuff that's baked on and won't come off after repeated attempts. I also never thought to wax my wheels...

No wheel cleaner is going to remove baked-on brake dust, at least with one or two applications.

A good wheel cleaner, various brushes, and lots of elbow grease is the only solution I know of.

It might be easier to take the wheel off the car, lay it flat, and spend some quality time working on it. There is no magic trick; believe me, I wish there were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back