what's up with gas prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
$3.59 was the cheapest I could find here in my area. I fill up twice a week to the tune of around $80-$100 a week. Not looking good. It was $2.99 a week ago.

Price here was/still is $C 0.91/litre, which works out to 0.91x3.7 = USGal x .90 = $USdollar or $3.03/gallon.

The price has not moved much in the last 3 months here. However some stations have already increased prices 0.08/l and I'm told they all will rise by that amount within a few days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Plan on over $3 by end of summer, unless the Saudis increase production again....blame corporate greed.

We hope...rumors have been flying on how to get that cash flow going again.

I expect major issues in the middle east by summer....

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Price here was/still is $C 0.91/litre, which works out to 0.91x3.7 = USGal x .90 = $USdollar or $3.03/gallon.

As of this morning, "gas" (we call it petrol) was $AUD 1:35/litre, which if I've done the conversions to US gallons and US dollars correctly works out at around $US 4:05/gallon.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
Its going up here in South FL. Its a game to which the likes of us will NEVER know all of the rules.

You got that right! Powerful people that don't want to be known, pull the strings.

I can't believe we're complaining about gas prices. Gas was well over $3 a gallon for quite a few years, it got relatively dirt cheap for a brief moment and we're complaining about a little raise? It is still $1 cheaper than what we were paying last year. How soon we forget.

blame corporate greed.

Do you expect them to give it away? Are you saying that for the past few months they decided to take a break from making money, and now all of a sudden someone on the board said 'enough losing money on gas!' Thus the price increase?

Originally Posted By: bvance554
blame corporate greed.

Do you expect them to give it away? Are you saying that for the past few months they decided to take a break from making money, and now all of a sudden someone on the board said 'enough losing money on gas!' Thus the price increase?

Just shows who's been drinking the kool aid. Corps exist to make money, and making money is NOT a bad thing...

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: hpb
The good news is you're still paying far less than pretty much everyone else around the world!

This is true, I was in the Netherlands in August 2013. Petrol was 1,79 Euro per liter. That equated to $9.15 usd a gallon at the time.

Of course it's flat there and you can ride your bike and/or the train everywhere...which we did.

I wouldn't mind cities in the US being a bit more friendly to that. I live within biking distance to work. And I probably would bike if ...

1) I wouldn't pass through two parts of the city where I would certainly be shot

2) I wouldn't get runover

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Price of wholesale oil eventually gets down to the level of consumer. Also may well be changing from winter blends to summer blends has an effect. Profit margin for the refineries is between 8% and 12%. Truth is we pay more in taxes than the refiners make in profit margin. How much profit in a 20 oz Pepsi at a convenience store selling at $1.79? How about the profit margin on frozen foods at a grocery store?? Try 40 to 50%. Meats and produce run 25 to 40%. Regular grocery items are barely 1%.. That's where grocery stores make their money in the speciality departments.
So 8 to 12% margin is not excessive at the end of the day compared to other products we buy everyday.

I've been hearing this profit margin garbage for years. All I can say is that SOMEBODY was making some huge profit margins when crude was $100+ a barrel, and gas was $3.50-$4 a gallon, so the industry gets no sympathy from me now that profit margins are down to a more reasonable level...

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I never understood why a refinery problem raises the price? If we don't run out why does it matter?

Refinery shutdowns are used as an excuse to pad profits. There are no shortages during these shoutdowns as production is bumped up slightly at other refineries to make up for the lost production...

Last edited:
I can't believe we're complaining about gas prices. Gas was well over $3 a gallon for quite a few years, it got relatively dirt cheap for a brief moment and we're complaining about a little raise? It is still $1 cheaper than what we were paying last year. How soon we forget.

Gas prices have been $1 to $1.50 a gallon higher than they've needed to be for years, then they finally went down to where they SHOULD be...now they're trying to creep prices back up again and for what? The industry apparently can't be satisfied with making reasonable profits, they think they need record profits every quarter...well, consumers are sick of being raped by the oil industry and have every right to complain...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
blame corporate greed.

Just shows who's been drinking the kool aid. Corps exist to make money, and making money is NOT a bad thing...

There's nothing wrong with businesses making money (and nobody can tell me the industry isn't still making decent profits even at these prices), but being in a position to where you have the market cornered and can basically name your price for the product you sell, raking in record profits on the backs of consumers is unnecessary and morally wrong...

Does anyone's home electricity prices vary by the day like gas?

I know electricity prices vary atleast by the hour between the producers and the distributors, but we never see that on our home bill. Gas production and distribution costs change at a glacial pace compared to electricity, so why is the final consumers price so variable?
Demand for both is pretty inelastic, and I'm sure consumption of gasoline is far more predictable than electricity consumption(which is as variable by the weather).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back