What trans oil, Diff oils, transfer case oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is completely false. Not only have I never seen a failure while using synthetic gear oil ( oil related failure) I have never had or seen an issue with detroit lockers and synthetic oils. This is blatant misinformation.

A couple of "experiences" proves nothing. You can't go off recommending people not use synthetic gear oils just because you "think" they caused a failure. Do some research before you post something like this in the future.

Last edited:
Rich,my father's friend has a 1983 Monte Carlo with a 9 inch Ford rear end w/a detroit locker.The place he got his rear end told him not to use synthetic gear lube because synthetic gear lube screws up detroit lockers.The place must of seen failure with synthetic gear lube.It is true,my father's friend Rich did replace ring and pinion sets in racing rear ends due to synthetic gear lube.The racing rear ends were fine before the switch to synthetic gear lube

It was pointed out earlier that not all "synthetic" gear oils are created equal. You cant make a balnket statement like "synthetic gear oil is bad because it wrecked a few rear ends". Where is the proof dude? I have a turbocharged camaro that is prob running with more ponies than the race cars you described and I have had zero rear end issues running synthetic gear oil!

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
I thought the Autotrac fluid was only required for "automatic" transfer cases. For instance my Envoy has 2wd,AUTO,4HI, and 4LO, thus requiring the autotrac fluid. My truck has push button 4wd(electronic) but only has 2wd,4HI, and 4lo (no auto). So just plain ol' DEX in the t/c. Is this correct?

No, all electronic transfer cases in trucks prior to 2007 up use AutoTrak II. Only the version with the manual floor shift does not, so if you got a shift lever on the floor for the transfer case, you don't use AT II.

My 2008 GMC says to use Dexron VI fluid.

My 2009 CTS4 says to use Automatic Transfer Case Fluid (Dex III by another name).

So its important you pay attention to your specific year and model and not assume other years spec apply to yours. G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back