Transfer case & diff fluids

Getting ready to change the oils in my new used 2011 Tahoe the the 4x4. Transfer case NQH
Gonna use BG Ultra Guard full synthetic gear oils in the front and rear diffs.
The transfer case calls for Dex 6, but the local Chevy dealer uses BG Syncro Shift II full synthetic tranfer case lube.
Dealer says whenever they do a 4x4 service this is what they use.
What do you guys think ? THANKS !

Some members poo poo various BG products, but the only real consensus is that they are overpriced. I say just go for it. You can use the BG home page to verify what suits your truck.

Who are those members?

To be clear, my comment was nothing more than a statement of fact.

His dealer using BG fluids will help keep BG in business. Nothing more, nothing less.

If the OP wanted something specific, he should have stated that.

IMO, using BG fluid will be fine.

Car makers have gotten goofy with specific fluid types in transmission and transfer cases. For my customers cars I stick to OE specified oils for safe measures.
The only OE fluid I will not use is the Toyota LV transfer case fluid @ almost 100.00 usd per liter. I buy a Ravenol MTF 75w (about 25 per liter) and it’s specified as Toyota 75w LV compatible. I think it’s GL-3 because of the yellow metals in there.
Some GM 8 speed transmissions are using Mobil LV ATF to combat TCC shudder.

[QUOTE="I There are people who put 5W-30 in GM transfer cases instead of ATF
[/QUOTE]
That doesn't make it a good decision.

That trend was started probably 15+ years ago because of an article written by RSG surrounding some ATF misinformation issues in some GM t-cases. At the time, GM was putting normal DexIII(h) in the t-cases, and because of people's propensity to ignore t-cases and diffs, the ATF could evap to a dangerously low level. Further, those 261/263 cases had an issue called "pump rub" where the alum pump body tabs would eat into the softer magnesium case and eventually cause a pinhole leak. RSGs solution? Put thick oil in it. That didn't solve either problem, but it met with good acceptance from the "thicker is always better" crowd.

That doesn't make it a good decision.

That trend was started probably 15+ years ago because of an article written by RSG surrounding some ATF misinformation issues in some GM t-cases. At the time, GM was putting normal DexIII(h) in the t-cases, and because of people's propensity to ignore t-cases and diffs, the ATF could evap to a dangerously low level. Further, those 261/263 cases had an issue called "pump rub" where the alum pump body tabs would eat into the softer magnesium case and eventually cause a pinhole leak. RSGs solution? Put thick oil in it. That didn't solve either problem, but it met with good acceptance from the "thicker is always better" crowd.
Oh I concur. Just pointing out that them using that specific fluid isn’t necessarily unusual or devastating.

BG Syncro Shift II is API GL-4 gear oil.

0014DFD5-B873-48D0-9A65-DB36150FF722.png
AA3EC663-9E19-4543-B376-E6D4F9638D2B.png

Around 2008 GM went to Magna Powertrain (MP) products for their full sized truck transfer cases. At that point all the transfer cases were specced for Dex VI and have been for the past 16 years. The fluid used prior to the transition to MP transfer cases, and the issues they had such as “ pump rub” is old man coffee shop stuff and not applicable at all to MP transfer cases.

Last edited:
I would use a dex v1 if the transfer case calls for it.
My GM calls for auto trek fluid. It's not as easy to get but still cheap.
Valvoline 75w 90 front and rear for me. Good stuff available everywhere

I would use a dex v1 if the transfer case calls for it.
My GM calls for auto trek fluid. It's not as easy to get but still cheap.
Valvoline 75w 90 front and rear for me. Good stuff available everywhere
I believe you are referring to Auto Trak II, which used on certain auto transfer cases prior to 2008. During the transition to the MP transfer cases, the dealers in my area preferred to use Auto-Trac II in the first auto transfer cases made by MP. It was registered in their computers and recommended to me. I used it in my 2008 3/4 ton and continued to use it for 16 years. The transfer case has over 250,000 miles on it with plenty of use during the winters. It’s more expensive than Dex 6 but I have no plans to change now.

The premise back then was that the fluid needed a friction modifier because auto transfer cases apparently contained clutches that were subject to slip stick in low speed turning maneuvers. I don’t think the MP transfer cases had the issue but the mechanics were skeptical about it at first and I just went with it. I try avoid using it in the auto mode anyway

Last edited:
Around 2008 GM went to Magna Powertrain (MP) products for their full sized truck transfer cases. At that point all the transfer cases were specced for Dex VI and have been for the past 16 years. The fluid used prior to the transition to MP transfer cases, and the issues they had such as “ pump rub” is old man coffee shop stuff and not applicable at all to MP transfer cases.
Have always just used D6 and never thought of options. Amazing how the perfect fluid happens to be common in that brand’s world - like my Jeep’s awesome Rock-Trac takes ATF4 - albeit that’s slightly thicker than the Dex

Redline makes great products. The transmission and the transfer case use D6. The differentials use 75W90 GL5.

Back