What trans oil, Diff oils, transfer case oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 1996 GMC 2500 4X4 7.4/454 motor 4L80E transmission, I am wondering what to put in the various places, and does the limited slip/locking diff need additives?

I am brand new to GMC trucks and four wheel drives having owned Ford 2 wheel drives all my life.

Should have said it has 219.000Km or 137.000Miles on her.

Originally Posted By: partsman
I bought a 1996 GMC 2500 4X4 7.4/454 motor 4L80E transmission, I am wondering what to put in the various places, and does the limited slip/locking diff need additives?

I am brand new to GMC trucks and four wheel drives having owned Ford 2 wheel drives all my life.

For the transmission use DEXRON-VI with nothing added. I your diff is a locker don't use extra additives there either.

Do you have the owners manual? Its best to know what is called for prior to picking a suitable replacement or substitute.

And, if you have Transynd, you can use it.

No it did not come with a manual, salesman when I phoned and asked the questions just said they use standard fluids, so I would be okay, of course he did not seem to know what standard fluids were that they used.

Originally Posted By: partsman

Couple of 1996 GMC Sierra owner's manuals on E-Bay right now. Cheap money( $7 and $9 ). I would get one of them as they have valuable info for you including the fluids needed for your question. Probably a good idea to contact one of the sellers and make sure they cover the 2500/3500's as well as 1500's just to be sure. One book usually covers all but soemtimes there is a seperate heavy duty book.

Any quality name brand will be fine as long as it is the correct weight/fluid type as called for. The exception to that, IMO, would be the gear oil. Anywhere it calls for 80W-90 conventional I would substitute a 75W-90 synthetic. I would run synthetic fluids regardless of weight in your axles vs conventional fluid as well. Royal Purple MaxGear is an EXCELLENT choice to consider. RP Maxgear also already contains the limited slip additive in it so if your rear axle calls for it you should be good to go with just the RP( will not hurt anything is you have a regular axle ).

For the trans and t-case I am going to say the manual calls for Dex III as it came out in 95. There is NO need to run Dex VI. Your truck never called for that fluid so there is no need to run it. You "can" as it is backwards compatible but there is no need to. Any of the aftermarket universal fluids that spec Dex III will work just fine. Do not be scared off. Millions of people running these fluids in place of Dex III with no issues for YEARS! Some places still carry Dex III( a local AAP actually has Dex III )but it is dwindling in availability as the universal fluids are covering it.

I would be leery however on such a high mileage vehicle of doing a tranny service. That can lead to problems. Check the fluid and as long as it is clean and doesn't smell burnt, IMO, leave it alone. If you have proof it was serviced regularly than that is different but if you are unsure and it shifts fine and the fluid seems ok leave well enough alone. If you are set on a tranny service then just drop the pan and replace the filter and top off fluid. DO NOT FLUSH IT( w/ a machine )!

Last edited:
GM trucks do not use Limited Slip Differentials with the exception of the 4-wheel steer models that do. If is lists G80 on the option label then its a Eaton Locking differential and Do use any additives in the G80 Eaton Locking rear differential.

Limited slip differentials are normally installed in cars (talking GM only) and all trucks use a locker.

This is part of the build sheet on it, telling me what diff it has.
I don't know what the front diff would be, would it be a locking one also?
Build.jpg

Last edited:
If you use a dino gear oil, the GM dealership sells a bottle of additive for the G80 diff. Amsoil Severe Gear has the additive already. For transmission, I have been liking RedLine D4 or D6. Yours would spec for a D4, but D6 is backwards compatible.

I would run a good syn 5w30 or 10w30 motor oil with a Napa gold filter. DexVI in the trans and Mobil1 75w90LS in the rear diff. Mobil1 75w90 in the front diff and contact your dealer on the tcase fluid as it probably takes the GM Tcase fluid. If that is the case DO NOT substitute tcase fluids.

Last edited:
FYI

Quote:
This bulletin is being issued to inform dealers about the compatibility and usage of the new Fuel Efficient SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant, GM P/N 12378261 (In Canada use P/N 10953455), with current axles, and with the non-synthetic axle lubricant, GM P/N 1052271 (In Canada use P/N 10950849), for the rear axles on the above light-duty trucks.

Testing has shown that the new synthetic lubricant will chemically attack the Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) sealant. Use only the non-synthetic lubricant, P/N 1052271, in axles using RTV sealant (See 9.5 and 10.5 information below).

American Axle and Manufacturing (A.A.M.) has approved the use of the new Fuel Efficient SAE 75W-90 synthetic axle lubricant for rear axles with the following restrictions:

All 8.6 inch axles are compatible as originally built.
9.5 inch axles on vehicles built prior to mid-February 1998 are NOT compatible because RTV sealant is used on the cover pans. On vehicles built after mid-February 1998 and equipped with 9.5 inch rear axles, synthetic lubricant, P/N 12378261, can be used because the RTV was replaced with a gasket. Other mid-February changes to the 9.5 inch rear axles include a new cover pan and cover pan fasteners common to other axles.

Important
The new cover pan is not retro-fittable to the housing of 9.5 inch axles on vehicles built prior to mid-February 1998. A new retrofit kit is available that will enable the use of synthetic lubricant for vehicles built after mid-February, 1998.

All 10.5 inch axles prior to March 3, 1999 are compatible if the axle shaft hub seal (RTV) is replaced with P/N 327739 gasket when changing to synthetic lubricant.
As a product improvement, this new lubricant has been released into 1999 current production C/K vehicles built after the above VIN breakpoints (Except HD3500 models which use 75W-140 synthetic lubricant, P/N 12346140).

It is recommended that synthetic lubricant be used when changing rear axle lubricant for the following reasons:

Potential fuel economy
Lower operating temperature under severe usage conditions

Important
You do not need to wash/rinse any non-synthetic lubricant from the axle cavity when changing over to a synthetic lubricant. However, you should remove debris from the magnet and the bottom of the axle cavity whenever the axle fluid is changed.
On light-duty trucks equipped with locking differentials, do NOT use a limited-slip additive.

Quote:
SUBJECT: LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL (G80) LUBRICANT - (SERVICE INFORMATION)
VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL LIGHT TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH G80 REAR AXLE ALL YEARS
Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles (G80) may exhibit rear axle chatter, especially when turning a corner from a stop.
This condition of alternate engagement and disengagement of clutches in differential assembly is usually caused by contaminated axle lubricant.
To correct this condition, drain and refill the rear axle. The use of any additive in locking rear axles (G80) is not recommended. Rear axle additives are designed for use in limited slip differentials which are normally installed in cars. All light duty trucks equipped with RPO G80 make use of a locking differential and the use of additives will delay the engagement of the locking mechanism and may decrease axle life.
VEHICLES/COMPONENTS INVOLVED: ----------------------------- Some light duty trucks equipped with locking rear axles, RPO G80.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I would run a good syn 5w30 or 10w30 motor oil with a Napa gold filter. DexVI in the trans and Mobil1 75w90LS in the rear diff. Mobil1 75w90 in the front diff and contact your dealer on the tcase fluid as it probably takes the GM Tcase fluid. If that is the case DO NOT substitute tcase fluids.

I am going to say his 2500 has a manual t-case. Don't believe you get the push button one on a HD? IF so yes, you are right, it may call for Autotrak II fluid and that is GM only stuff.

I thought the Autotrac fluid was only required for "automatic" transfer cases. For instance my Envoy has 2wd,AUTO,4HI, and 4LO, thus requiring the autotrac fluid. My truck has push button 4wd(electronic) but only has 2wd,4HI, and 4lo (no auto). So just plain ol' DEX in the t/c. Is this correct?

Originally Posted By: gmctodd
I thought the Autotrac fluid was only required for "automatic" transfer cases. For instance my Envoy has 2wd,AUTO,4HI, and 4LO, thus requiring the autotrac fluid. My truck has push button 4wd(electronic) but only has 2wd,4HI, and 4lo (no auto). So just plain ol' DEX in the t/c. Is this correct?

I would call your dealer and give them your vin number to be sure. Using DEX in a TC that requires auto-trac fluid will Fubar it in short order. You also want to check and see if you need the GM 75w90 synthetic because Mobil1 does NOT meet the GM spec there if you have the grape scented gear oil from the factory.

Last edited:
Use the fluid in the 1999 and up GM transfer cases only,Auto Trak II and you can get it at the dealer only.I would avoid using synthetic gear lube in older rear ends,does damage to ring and pinions since it too hard on the ring and pinions.I have heard of 3 rear ends going out due to synthetic gear lube

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
I would avoid using synthetic gear lube in older rear ends,does damage to ring and pinions since it too hard on the ring and pinions.

Huh?? How could it be "hard on the ring and pinion"?

I do know someone that has seen this happen,my father's friend Rich replacing ring and pinions due to synthetic gear lube even in racing rear ends.The rear ends were fine before the switch to synthetic gear lube.The racing rear ends are a differant story,singing and howling.The teeth were down to a tip of a pencil.Another thing,do not put in synthetic gear lube in with a detroit locker,screws detroit lockers up

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
I do know someone that has seen this happen,my father's friend Rich replacing ring and pinions due to synthetic gear lube even in racing rear ends.The rear ends were fine before the switch to synthetic gear lube.The racing rear ends are a differant story,singing and howling.The teeth were down to a tip of a pencil.Another thing,do not put in synthetic gear lube in with a detroit locker,screws detroit lockers up
This is a first I have heard of this. Synthetic lubricants protect and lubricate far better than dino lubes, especially at high temps, they also flow far better than dino at very low temps. I use nothing but synthetic lubricants in my vehicles and have never experienced a failure, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back