What spark plugs for 2008 Cobalt 2.2L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother-in law has a 08 cobalt and it is just hitting 30k. We were thinking about swapping plugs but I thought these may have the 100k plugs. However, I cannot find that info on the net. Does anyone know what plugs come from the factory on the 08 cobalts?

He bought is used and doesn't have an owners manual. That would be the first place I would have looked but can't seem to find a free link to one on the net.

Originally Posted By: outshined
Delco's part no. is 41-103 for the iridium.

That's the one!

Originally Posted By: css9450
Originally Posted By: outshined
Delco's part no. is 41-103 for the iridium.

That's the one!

From my experience, these iridium plugs last even longer then platinum (especially double platinum plugs).

At 30K miles, they're going to be in perfect shape.

If you're itching to spin wrenches, you could pull them out and put anti-seize on them so when they really do need to be changes they'll be easy to get out!

They are already coated with a release agent. The 100k change interval is just a spec. They can actually last much longer.

Don't change them unless there are symptoms to warrant it.

I'll admit that when I replaced mine at 50,000 miles, the old ones looked to be 100% perfect. In fact, I saved them as spares. I was most interested in making sure they wouldn't be seized into the head at 100K. With just a tiny dab of anti-seize, I'm confident they'll last much longer next time.

Quote:
They are already coated with a release agent

I wonder about the replacements though. They looked to be bare metal, nothing on the threads.

Last edited:
Factory spark plug threads often have special coatings on them to prevent corrosion and seizing -cadmium plating and black type of surface treatments.
This is not what the guys were referring to. A SMALL amount of common silver anti-seize on the threads is applied manually.
Because of emissions, you can be assured that at 30k, your spark plugs are still in great shape. Long life it the benefit of precious metal tipped plugs.

Originally Posted By: css9450
I'll admit that when I replaced mine at 50,000 miles, the old ones looked to be 100% perfect. In fact, I saved them as spares. I was most interested in making sure they wouldn't be seized into the head at 100K. With just a tiny dab of anti-seize, I'm confident they'll last much longer next time.

Quote:
They are already coated with a release agent

I wonder about the replacements though. They looked to be bare metal, nothing on the threads.

Actually they aren't coated with a release agent. I pulled my friend's '07 G5's and they were as snug as any other car at 60k kms. It is an EASY job, but I did notice that the ecotec seems to be running on the 'hot' side of things.

I pulled, never-seized and re-installed the plugs on my 2007 Cobalt at ~32Kmi. They all released with the nerve wracking *SNAP*, but came out w/out issue. They were marked AC Delco, but looked like the facy Denso jobs. They didn't appear to have anything on the theads- not to say there wasn't any magic goo on there though. Yes the plugs looked new yet as I expected. Next owners hopefully appreciate my insane efforts.

Joel

Last edited:
My 03 ION 2.2 is on it's third set of plugs, seen too many towed in around the 70K kms mark with burnt coil packs because of worn out plugs. Pulled the factory plugs at 45K, they were 0.020" over spec, figured on changing them eery 2 years since. The 06 and ups are individual coil on plug, as to how whether plugs hold up better or not can't say.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
My 03 ION 2.2 is on it's third set of plugs, seen too many towed in around the 70K kms mark with burnt coil packs because of worn out plugs. Pulled the factory plugs at 45K, they were 0.020" over spec, figured on changing them eery 2 years since. The 06 and ups are individual coil on plug, as to how whether plugs hold up better or not can't say.

Thanks for that post. My girlfriends mom had a 06 cobalt, it had to be towed to the dealer with 40k miles due to a burned coil pack, and they had to replace plugs also.

I own a 03 ion, and a 03 sunfire, both the same motor. I replaced the factory plugs with NGK platniums in the saturn, it runs great.

Now I'm thinking I should do the sunfire, it had 39k miles on the originals from 2003.

I have never replaced a set of AC-delco platinum plugs. I have about over 100,000 miles on the ones in my car right now. Most people have problems with bosch platinums in modern DIS systems because the high voltage makes them wear prematurely. Leave the plugs if they are AC(or NGK) platinums or iridiums unless you are having problems.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I pulled, never-seized and re-installed the plugs on my 2007 Cobalt at ~32Kmi. They all released with the nerve wracking *SNAP*, but came out w/out issue. They were marked AC Delco, but looked like the facy Denso jobs. They didn't appear to have anything on the theads- not to say there wasn't any magic goo on there though. Yes the plugs looked new yet as I expected. Next owners hopefully appreciate my insane efforts.

Joel

Joel,

I have heard that the delco plugs in the ecotec motor are made by NGK for delco.

I may be wrong, this is what I heard and read on the internet.

I replaced mine with NGK platniums.

I'm sure that the denso plugs would work fine in this application also.

Mine also cracked when I pulled the plugs out. I have an electronic copy of the factory service manual, it says not to use any anti-seize on the plug threads, it may cause the torque spec to be incorrect.

After hearing them crack like that, I used a very little bit of anti seize on the new threads, and torqued them by hand like I have been doing all my life.

They've got to be platinum given the 100Kmi spec. Like Justin says, they're AC Delco badged NGK or possibly Denso plugs. They are super easy to do on the Ecotecs. They're just buried way down there so have some long needle-nose pliers handy to fish out your plug socket if/when it gets stuck in the plug well. Here's a side view of my 2007 Cobalt 2.2L with the plastic engine cover lifted off:

Picture1065.jpg

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back