What one oil would you pick if only one could be had?

Even though I am now using M1 0W-40 in my van and M1 0W-20 in my Prius, I think M1 0W-30 would be a good compromise for both vehicles. Even my Honda lawnmower could use it.

My first would be an HPL 5W-40. However, going with what I could afford it would be Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 C3 with its other stringent specifications although I don't need all of them for my cars.

In my 2006 Silverado ext cab 4x4 5.3 Vortec I have to go with whatever high mileage full synthetic 5w30, usually Supertech, I get Quaker State or Pennzoil or Havoline or Valvoline or Mobil, whatever has the best deal or a good rebate!

For my motorcycles, I like Castrol Actevo synthetic blend 10w40.

I was deliberately vague in my requirements, as I didn't want to influence the answers. Enough time has passed, so I'll now be more specific.

I was hoping people would give me specific approvals, as opposed to brands, or even viscosity grades. That didn't really happen, but that's ok.

I have personally settled on Shell Euro LX 0W-30 (Packaged as Canadian Tire, Motomaster OEPLUS European), as it "meets" MB 229.52, VW 504.00/507.00/Porsche C30 and ACEA C2/C3 requirements.

It will soon be in all of the car listed below. Cheers

Motomaster 0W-30_1276.jpg

Last edited:
I was deliberately vague in my requirements, as I didn't want to influence the answers. Enough time has passed, so I'll now be more specific.

I was hoping people would give me specific approvals, as opposed to brands, or even viscosity grades. That didn't really happen, but that's ok.

I have personally settled on Shell Euro LX 0W-30 (Packaged as Canadian Tire, Motomaster OEPLUS European), as it "meets" MB 229.52, VW 504.00/507.00/Porsche C30 and ACEA C2/C3 requirements.

View attachment 201950
I've got Pennzoil Euro LX in my 6.0 gas Chevy right now. Same oil and great for cold starts but yet has a bit more kinematic viscosity than the non-Euro Pennzoil Platinum. If there are no more Pennzoil rebates in Canada, I may go to the Motomaster product.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuk

View attachment 201950
Haha, posting #57 from me talks about approvals and only at the end did I mention Pennzoil because of the available rebates. It is Dexos 1 Gen 3 which is also an API SP. I used 5w30 in SM, SN, SN plus and now SP keeping up with the latest API spec, as well as GM Dexos 1, Gen 1, Gen 2 and now Gen 3 as they became available, in my 2008 Suburban. It now has 250,000 miles and doesn’t burn oil. I fairly recently switched to Euro oils just in case the clearances are larger after 250,000 miles. Power on!

Last edited:
Back