What oil to use in my '68 Shelby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've contacted Mobils website (which never replied!) and I'm awaiting Amsoil's reply very shortly to this question. Let's see if we get any matches. I own a 1968 Shelby GT500KR which I bought from the original owner in July of 1972 for a whopping 1400.00. I've managed to hang on to this car through a divorce and two college educations for my sons. About ten yrs ago we did a ground up restoration which included the original 428 engine. (new pistons, cam, etc. but no boring) I've been using different synthetics in it over the years and I'm wondering whether or not I'm doing the right thing. The car is used mostly in warm weather and only travels about 500 to 750 miles a year. I change the oil yearly at the end of the season. What would you suggest?

I would suggest Amsoil AME 15W40. It works great at fighting internal rust from condinsation.

welcome.gif
to BITOG. Very nice old muscle car.

I agree with using the 10w-30 diesel rated product as it is better suited to a flat tappet engine. I'm using Redline 10w-30 in the original 351C4V in my 70 Mach 1.

I have an original 1962 Corvette. The consensus of the NCRS discussion forum is that a Rotella oil is very good for these old V-8's.

Bob:

Your 428 probably still has the hydraulic lifter flat tappet cam, so I would suggest the 10w30 or 10w40 weights for oil. I use Havoline 10w40 in my 68 Mustang. These older Fords were spec'ed for oils in this range. If you jump up to 15w40 or 20w50 oil you will likely get a bunch of lifter noise for a few blocks, and that means your valve train is hammering on itself until the tappets pump up. Rotella makes a nice 10w30 that I'm using in several of my everyday cars. If you changed over to a solid lifter cam, go for the Delo/Rotella 15w40. I tried the heavier oils in mine after rebuilding it (stock) but changed back to be rid of the lifter noise. I'd also use the Motorcraft FL-1A filter, so it looks correct under the hood.

That said, as was pointed out to me recently, with that little annual use it proably makes no difference what you select...the car will outlive you and your heirs. Just select something of high quality that befits the machine.

Cheers, and nice ride.

I'd use regular old Motorcraft 10w40 and change it every 6 months. Gotta keep your Ford 100% Ford
wink.gif

While i have no personal experience with auto storage, i have read that some suggest that synthetics are "too good" and drain off the internal engine too well, so when you do your infrequent start-ups it's really oil starved for a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back