what oil mix in a 'rebuilt' tecumseh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have good memories as a kid using a Toro S200 snowblower on my parent's driveway...so I thought I'd pick one up. I bought 2 off Craigslist ($20 and $35) to combine the best parts of both into a useable machine.

On the one with the better motor I'm going to rebuild the carb, replace piston, rings, gaskets, etc. Does it need all this? I don't know...but I'll have fun doing it!

My question is about the oil mix...a 1980 era tecumseh called for a 32:1 mix. My mid 90's single stage, cheap, Murray blower with a very similar 2 stroke 3 hp tecumseh called for a 50:1 mix. What is the suggestion for running one of these today? 32:1 seems heavy on the oil....I'm planning on running synthetic...or maybe even pre mix since we dont get all that much snow anymore.

Was the 32:1 recommendation based on the oil quality back in 1980? Can I get away with a modern synthetic at 50:1? Wondering what you guys think..

If the 2 cycle oil is for a 50:1 mix that will be fine . I've used that mix in older Lawn Boys that required 25:1 and they burn nice and clean . 2 cycle oils have come a long way !

thanks for the info...I have a can of 40:1 pre mix that I bought recently thinking it would be a good compromise between 32:1 and 50:1. I suppose I'll use that up and then move to 50:1 so all my OPE can run on the same mix.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
If the 2 cycle oil is for a 50:1 mix that will be fine . I've used that mix in older Lawn Boys that required 25:1 and they burn nice and clean . 2 cycle oils have come a long way !

+1

A 50:1 mix will work great, it might even run a bit smoother compared to 32:1. Those 2-stroke Toros are great machines. I have a Powerlite with the 3HP 2-stroke Tecumseh and it runs great and goes through anything. I had an older 2-stroke Tecumseh powered Toro (S-620 maybe?) that had 32:1 stamped on the cap. It ran better with 50:1 mix.
thumbsup2.gif

Oil reduces octane ratings of fuel, less oil equals higher octane, hint it runs smoother, cleaner, and more power. i have to toro single stage blowers . i have the one down for a carb and tune up. the otherone is a one pull runner, throws snow 30+ft. I have been using amsoil saber in the summer equipment. i am goona run it 100:1 like i do for the saws and other strokers i have.

ken

i have a friend running a tecumseh 2hp on a homemade minibike. he runs saber at a ounce. to the gallon. been almost two years of abuse still starts easy and runs super strong.

ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back