What oil for older engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an old rebuilt Ford 302 flat tappet engine in a 1947 Ford truck. Question is, what oil to use?
Today's oils are down on zddp and don't protect the old flat tappet camshafts very well.
So what oils have what it takes to protect the camshafts?
I don't really want to buy it on-line, would prefer to get it at a store?

DELO 15W-40 is a good stout oil, with a decent ad-pack of Zinc....

Other than that....you could look into "supplementing" with say, "break in lube" at every OCI.......

But may be easier just to use real oil and let it be
wink.gif

Has anyone ever read the history of using ZDDP in flat tappet cam engines? I think if you do non-performance flat tappets (stock spring pressures) will be protected with SN oils of today.

Lucas Break-In is all you need.

It's at 50,000 PPM Zinc. 2oz. in a 5 sump will zinc 500ppm!! Just that' two ounces or 60 mls. Good stuff. Fairly cheap. I think a 10oz. bottle was like $15. So for $3 an oil change, you can raise your Zinc 500ppm. For $6 an oil change, about $1 per quart, you can raise your zinc level in you favoite oil a 1000ppm!! For just $6.

The sky is falling, no ZDDP is blown all out of proportion, most(if not all) 10W-40 still meet API SL which was the spec prior to reduction in the CAFE oils...

Originally Posted By: old farmer
I have an old rebuilt Ford 302 flat tappet engine in a 1947 Ford truck. Question is, what oil to use?
Today's oils are down on zddp and don't protect the old flat tappet camshafts very well.
So what oils have what it takes to protect the camshafts?
I don't really want to buy it on-line, would prefer to get it at a store?

Any diesel oil will do. What cam is in it? Heads? rockers? They are pretty cheap to convert to roller if you are up to the task......
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ted s
any 10w 40 i have seen is SN rated

Only SN rated or did it have multiple ratings??? Even if it was only SN rated, AFAIK the ZDDP reduction doesn't apply to 10W-40 or 20W-50 oils...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back