What oil do you suggest for a 9 second turbo car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're going to take the faster of the GNs for a few tuning passes soon. Car pushed upwards of 600rwhp on the dynojet a year ago but ran into tuning issues that limited timing to 10 degrees and boost to 14lbs. With those issues hopefully worked out, it "should" be in the neighborhood of 800hp.

Car will mostly be driven on weekends and street raced. Don't plan on spinning it past 7,000rpm. Oil capacity is 8 quarts, wet sump, and it has a big cooler. Full throttle time will probably be limited to a few seconds on the street. Motor is a 4.5L V6 with a fairly aggressive solid roller cam so cam wiping is not a concern.

I'm thinking a thick straight weight. Only problem is the oil pressure tends to be very high when cold. If the motor is revved at all when cold it will hit upwards of 120psi which seems to be where the filter O-rings blow out. Anyone think the Amsoil ACD 10-30/30 that I'm running in the TL would work?

Amsoil AMO 10w40, in a recent article one has read about Corvette ZR-1 owners(remember this car from the early nineties) have had exceptional luck running this oil in drag and race venues. This is a complex engine with flat-tappets. Some of these motors are pushing close to 600hp, not as much as your GN but of all the oils I know of I can recommend this one from UOA's I have seen here and articles I have read. I never used this oil, as the Prizm's meager 125hp does not really call for it. If I had the Amsoil 30w that you speak of I might give that a run considering it may be already availble to you. Nevertheless I would recommend the motor being warmed up before excessive rpms. Contact one of the site sponsors as I know Amsoil makes race specific oils. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Amsoil AMO 10w40, in a recent article one has read about Corvette ZR-1 owners(remember this car from the early nineties) have had exceptional luck running this oil in drag and race venues.

I read that article and wasn't impressed. The guy needed an oil with high levels of ZDP and said he was glad some companies are making quality products and not hyping their product.
smirk2.gif
It had nothing to do with that at all. Guy was off base. I'm sure it worked well though.

Lot of options to chose from. Amsoil ACD would work well, RL 10w30 or M1 HM 10w-40 or 10w-30. Mobil 1 high mileage has a very strong additive package.

This was much simpler before I found this site. I just used the cheapest thick oil I could find.

How much will the HTHS matter? The car is always fully warm before giving it throttle but cold idle is 2,000rpm and hot idle is 1,300rpm and it's still a little lumpy.

I'm wondering about the HTHS because torque is in diesel territory with over 700lbs on a small journal crank and the load is only spread over 6 cylinders instead of the usual 8. Would the Amsoil 30wt of 3.4 be enough? Redline's oils are looking very tempting. I wonder why Amsoil doesn't make more straight weight oils...

The car is driven so little that it would be possible to try and preheat the oil before starting to allow us to run something a little thicker. I was even thinking of running the preluber with a small propane flame on/near the cooler.

I know I'm probably putting way too much thought into this but I blame this site for my issues. :) Thanks for all the replies so far. This is my dad's car and he's getting back from Baghdad in a couple months and is pretty excited about taking the car out for a spin for the first time in over a year. I just want to have everything ready to go when he gets back.....and I stole his stash and used it for flushing the TL...trying not the get beat up.

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
Amsoil AMO 10w40, in a recent article one has read about Corvette ZR-1 owners(remember this car from the early nineties) have had exceptional luck running this oil in drag and race venues. This is a complex engine with flat-tappets. Some of these motors are pushing close to 600hp, not as much as your GN but of all the oils I know of I can recommend this one from UOA's I have seen here and articles I have read. I never used this oil, as the Prizm's meager 125hp does not really call for it. If I had the Amsoil 30w that you speak of I might give that a run considering it may be already availble to you. Nevertheless I would recommend the motor being warmed up before excessive rpms. Contact one of the site sponsors as I know Amsoil makes race specific oils. Good Luck!

I didn't think ZR1's had flat tappets. Learn something everyday.

The extra ZDP talked about in that article is especially important in many of the new stroker engingines with forged pistons. Though the catalytic converters might not like it too much.

Originally Posted By: hannaco
If preheating the oil is an option, consider using the stick on heating elements that stick onto the bottom of the oil sump.

Yes, HTHS in that motor might be a concern.

I agree with hannaco, but the stick on preheaters are a pain. I assume you have a racing oil pan, if so you should be able to weld a bung in it and use a screw in heating element, these work very good,as me and a guy that race together have used them in the past, they do a very good job of preheating the oil......

Oh and btw IMO the 20-50 racing oil that amsoil makes is a great oil, but for a 600hp turbochared car i dont know, there could be quite a chance for blowby with the kinda boost numbers you are running,I know the 60W formula they make is for super/turbo charged applications, but if your oil presssure is an issue when cold just use a heater, they work great in the sprint car world.

Thanks for the help. Redline 30wt looks like it will fit the bill. HTHS is very high for a 30. Might try the 40 in the summer time. For what it's worth, I've had great luck with cheap Superflo 20-50 in my GN but my dad's should make an extra 200hp and spin an extra 2,000rpm.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
We're going to take the faster of the GNs for a few tuning passes soon. Car pushed upwards of 600rwhp on the dynojet a year ago but ran into tuning issues that limited timing to 10 degrees and boost to 14lbs. With those issues hopefully worked out, it "should" be in the neighborhood of 800hp.

Car will mostly be driven on weekends and street raced. Don't plan on spinning it past 7,000rpm. Oil capacity is 8 quarts, wet sump, and it has a big cooler. Full throttle time will probably be limited to a few seconds on the street. Motor is a 4.5L V6 with a fairly aggressive solid roller cam so cam wiping is not a concern.

I'm thinking a thick straight weight. Only problem is the oil pressure tends to be very high when cold. If the motor is revved at all when cold it will hit upwards of 120psi which seems to be where the filter O-rings blow out. Anyone think the Amsoil ACD 10-30/30 that I'm running in the TL would work?

Nice very nice! Nothing like a 9 sec V6!!!! Got any pics?

Originally Posted By: vacuum_6
Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Nice very nice! Nothing like a 9 sec V6!!!! Got any pics?

Of course. I've posted a couple here before. The combo is actually nearly a copy of Cotton's old pumpkin motor.

4.5L stageII

Thanks! It's not quite finished yet. Drive train is done and has been done for over a year. It's lots of fun on the street but not legal for the track yet. Still needs a cage. Frame is not notched and the QuickTimes you see on there are the widest that will fit. My dad went to Iraq a year ago so the car has been on hold but he's coming back soon. It was a 10.70 car back when it had the production motor and we got to run one night with no one giving us [censored] on the cage. No times on the new one but it feels about the same at 15psi on the new motor vs 29psi on the old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back