What is this as it relates to BMW fuel consumption?

Before I ask, I read my owner's manual and searched Google and Youtube without finding an answer. In the red box in the picture below from my BMW 535d, this is one of the values that comes up when I repeatedly press and release the button on the end of my left turn signal. All of the other values are clearly related to MPG info. I'm not sure what this is supposed to tell me, since it is in MPH, and 29.6 is not at a speed I ever cruise at. Any BMW guys here know what this means?

2016 BMW 535d Speedometer - Copy.jpg

is that a setting for an Automatic Speed Limiter??? My Range Rover has a feature with the same icon that allows you to set a max speed. Useful for areas where the speed limit is low for a distance.

Avg usually has a different symbol, but I could be wrong.

is that a setting for an Automatic Speed Limiter??? My Range Rover has a feature with the same icon that allows you to set a max speed. Useful for areas where the speed limit is low for a distance.
Not that I'm aware of. I've driven this car mostly at 70-75mph on the highway for the couple weeks I've had it.

Before I ask, I read my owner's manual and searched Google and Youtube without finding an answer. In the red box in the picture below from my BMW 535d, this is one of the values that comes up when I repeatedly press and release the button on the end of my left turn signal. All of the other values are clearly related to MPG info. I'm not sure what this is supposed to tell me, since it is in MPH, and 29.6 is not at a speed I ever cruise at. Any BMW guys here know what this means?

View attachment 180722

Avg speed since last reset. I imagine the previous owner never reset it so what you're seeing is avg speed during the life of the car. I've never reset mine in 9 years of ownership.

Edit: Pg 84-85 of your user manual.

Last edited:
That little symbol to the left of the number looks like the cruise control indicator on my BMW. Maybe it is the cruise control speed setting.

I've driven cars with all-time average fuel consumption (resettable at any time) showing and with average fuel consumption showing since the engine was last started (automatic reset). Many cars only display all-time (resettable) and current fuel consumption (fluctuates widely).

I've driven cars with all-time average fuel consumption (resettable at any time) showing and with average fuel consumption showing since the engine was last started (automatic reset). Many cars only display all-time (resettable) and current fuel consumption (fluctuates widely).
But keep in mind, the value in question is in MPH which makes no sense to me in the context of fuel consumption. Probably just an avg speed as others have mentioned; I have no idea how the previous owner drove it. A glitch in BMW's software perhaps? Who knows. I'm going to reset it and see what happens.

I drive like wildfire, and even with my speeds, the vehicle average speed hovers in the 40mph range. Traffic, stop lights, and even the various drive throughs I frequent, all conspire to reduce the average.

I drive like wildfire, and even with my speeds, the vehicle average speed hovers in the 40mph range. Traffic, stop lights, and even the various drive throughs I frequent, all conspire to reduce the average.
Makes sense now. I do sit in stop and go traffic for a bit on each evening commute, so I guess that lowers it.

Back