What is the favorite 2 cycle motorcycle oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys! I have seen many opinions here, some of them are quite strong! As my thread is titled "what is your favorite" the results fit!

However, do any of you have real world scientific testing results?

It took me 30 years to somewhat figure out what oils to use in my 2 strokes. There is no question that the Redline Racing oil was not the right oil for me. But from there it gets a little fuzzy. I have been unable to determine what kind of difference in engine life a two stroke oil makes. Is it better to have a clean combustion chamber or dirty oil such as GS and good protection?

I have had good luck with GS. I also had good luck with BelRay products. My SeaDoo's have lasted about 250 Hours on dino SeaDoo oil. I switched to synthetic SeaDoo oil and life seemed to suffer. Was this a coincidence?

Mobil 1 MX2t seems to keep the bikes running well. However both bikes and all lawn equipment are low time right now.

I do notice that the powervalve linkage chamber in the Husky is not filling up with oil residue, that is a good thing. If they fill with oil residue, upon cold startup, the dirty oil works it's way down the powervalves and on to the exhaust side of the piston.

Thanks

Chris

Cujet, In regards to your question about cleanliness vs. lubrication. I would say both are very important. A high quality oil will burn very clean yet protect supperbly. This of course is with the caveat that the carb is tuned properly and the engine is under enough load. MX2T Burns extremely clean yet provides for very little wear. I have put over 100 hours on my cr 500 AF's top end and at change out time it looked spotless with the least amount of wear I have seen from any oil I have used. I also know of a guy that has over 200 hours on a mod chainsaw motor using MX2T. Most of the oils that are on the market now use high temp ressitance base oils that do not combust completly. I disagree with this type of lube because the majority of users never need the high temp resistance and too the contary the incomplete combustion that results from there use is detrimental to engine life and function.These oils actually increase wear IMO because they coat the piston and cylinder walls with carbon deposits that limit ring mobility and cause blow by to occur. Once this happens the downward spiral begins as combustion gasses leak past the ring and partially burn off the oil that lubricates the piston/cylinder interface which causes the piston to run at higher temps and leads to metal on metal contact. GS BTW is a prime example of this school of thought as is Amsoil. Stick with MX2T.

BTW I am testing Mx2T as we speak in some outboard motors at my fishing lodge. They will have around 200 hours after the season is over. I will be pulling the head and inspecting the cylinder and piston for deposits and wear in September some time. In general its a no-no to use a low ash oil like MX2T in a application that calls for ashless oils like outboards do, but I am curious as the the outcome of the test when compared to the standard phillips 66 injex that we usually use. I suspect the motor will be fine as they are not used to troll with and the Merc motors we use are thermostat controlled so they do not run real cool like some other OB's do. Trolling and engine temp are the main reason outboard MFG's spec ashless oils.

Very Interesting! Been doing some reading on oil ratios lately. I use 32:1 in the bike most of the time. What do you guys think of running 50:1 on dirt bikes that seem to be getting more popular all the time. I came across this thought it was intresting reading also. (Posting links to other forums not allowed) The guy Spanks has some interesting things to say.
Anyone know if PIB is an Ester? Or where I might be able to read up on it?
wink.gif

[ May 31, 2003, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I would never think of running a ratio over 32:1 in any two stroke. Especially one that is air cooled. I know the amsoil zealots will be all over this, spouting off about there 100:1 magic oil, but I am not buyinh it.
PIB is short for Poly iso butene, and its not a ester. PIB are usually blended with mineral oil to bring them up to iso egd specs. I also noticed in a earlier post that some one mentioned that Mx@T is a PAO based oil. Its not. It is a carboxyl ester.

Blano, Thanks for the information. After my supply of 2R is gone in 2 or 3 months I will give MX2T a try at 32 to 1. By the way I like thoes CR500 AFs. I've only seen one. Honda should put them into productin. But they don't seem to want to spend much money R & D on 2 strokes any more.
cheers.gif

pao oils for 2 cycle for some reason leave alot of deposits due to not burning up in the combustion process. Is this true ?

I dont know steve, but blanket statements like that are not usually valid. Besides I have never heqard of a pao based 2t oil. That said many ester based oil burn dirty for the same reason. You must combust the oil completely to get a clean burning oil. Many times this doesnt happen because people do not know how to tune the carb on a two cycle properly. Overly rich engines are what gives two cycles a bad name.

My favorite 2-stroke engine oil is Shell's Advance ultra synthetic snow and their ultra synthetic PWC engine oil which is the same product.
I just look for the ISO EG-D, API TC, and JASO FC ratings, then the lowest price for that quality.
The oil seemed to work best at 42:1 with 91 octane in 01+02 CR125s, 03 RM250 and YZ125 and the old 85cc Husky chainsaw.

I have been running Torco GP-7 in my 82' atc 250R. 2-stroke and air cooled plus it has a big fat wheel blocking much of the air to the fins.

Mix @ 40-1

I had the cyl bored and put a new piston and rings in it when I bought it 9 years ago.I rode it every sunday usually 50 miles or more for 7 years. Sometimes spending a whole weekend at a zillion rpm at the sand dunes.

I have not touched it in the 9 years since I rebuilt it. Even the sparkplug is 9 yrs old.

Bike still has compression and no piston slap.

I bought a new 4 stroke quad but haul the 3-wheeler with us as a spare bike.

I'm sold on Torco.

Hey Chris, I got your three wheeler beat. My fishing lodge has a polaris 400 six wheeler. The thing has 8,000 iles on the odo, but it hasnt been working in a couple of years. It smokes like **** , but still runs great and this is under the most punishing conditions possible as it is operated by 18 year olds over very rough terrain carrying heavy loads. The oil used is motot master boat oil from Canadian Tire.

I think there is a newer specification for 2 stroke oils. EG-D+ is supposed to be the latest and greatest.

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by mcmech:

quote:

Originally posted by Lightman:
Nothing like the smell of cam 2 and 927 in the morning!!
grin.gif

If you ever come across a bottle of the old Castrol R, mix it up with some Cam 2.
I used to run that mixture @ 24:1 in a Yamaha TZ250.
Now, that is one sweet smelling exhaust.
fruit.gif

My wife says someone should bottle that smell as a cologne and sell it to motorcyclists.....I wish.
grin.gif

Yup, that smell is better than sex!
gr_eek2.gif

I use Motul 800 2T Road Racing full synthetic in my TZ250 and it works fantasticly. Mix that with some VP racing gas and the smell coming out the pipe is...uhhh...strong. YUMMY!
grin.gif
I'm going to be running mine at CA Speedway tomorrow in fact. Wish me luck!

The only thing I use is BelRay MC-1. We started using it in road racing bikes many years ago and since then I've ended up using it everywhere I need premix. It works just as well in chainsaws and weedeaters as it does in my dirt bike.
smile.gif

If I was racing now though, I'd look at H1R...

As previoously mentioned, the Mobil 1 MX2T is excellent. A little history on the oil. MX2T was developed for the 2 cycle European Grand Prix Circuit and continually evolved from the experience gained there. So as a result of that work, we now have a superb 2 cycle full synthetic. In talking with one of the engineers who was associated with the project, it *was* a very difficult process of development in that a high performance 2 cycle oil for an ultra-high performance 2 cycle engine was an incredibly fine balancing act of lube additives..
In other words, the Mobil 1 MX2T formulation was not developed for Lawn Boy mowers but from a pretty grueling, damanding environment..
George

Hello George. MX2T may have not been designed for "lawboy" motorts, but never the less works great in all the applications I have thrown at it. This includes- snowmobiles, dirtbikes, street bakes, chainsaws, leaf blowers lawnboy mowers, brush cutters, water pumps, and matis tillers. Add to that it even cost less than many mineral based oils and you have a winner.

How bout putting some dye in the mx2t like red.This would go well with the motocross industry.

Keith.
"LET JUST RIDE"

George CLS I can,t help it and this is some what off the subject as I have a 4 cycle lawn mower so here goes I adjust the govenor ,so my lawn mower is like a gran prix motorcycle ,in its own way!
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
fruit.gif
it screams.

[ August 09, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

On a motorcycle forum there is a guy that says Mobil MX2T is 25% Kerosene and that Kerosene reduces octane.

Now I know most 2 stroke oils use dispersants.
Does anyone know if MX2T uses 25% Kerosene?
Do most 2 stroke oils use Kerosene as dispersants?
Does Kerosene lower octane?
I have found over the years different 2 stroke oils can change jetting a little is the reason for this the dispersants?

FWIW I have been using MX2T lately and the power valve and its parts seems to be cleaner. Thanks for the replies.

Anybody use Castrol A747? I've been racing a Honda RS125 for the last 2 years and it's worked very well. Actually, it's one of the two oils recommended by HRC in the manuals for the last 10 years or more....

Just curious if anybody else is using this and what they think. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back