what is the best v6 ever made?

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: coolbird101
Chrysler slant 6 /
not a v though

I agree..My friend had a 72 Dart with the slant 6 and could not kill it.

The story behind how the Slant Six came to be is interesting.

Back on topic, when history finally answers this question, I believe the Chrysler Pentastar V6 will be on top.

Ford Vulcan 3.0.
We had one in our '97 Aerostar and it ran great with virtually no oil consumption for the 176K we put on it from new.
Fuel economy wasn't bad and power was adequate if uninspiring.
You might say that it couldn't make enough power to hurt itself.

Any Dino V-6 would have to rate really high on the desirability scale.
For that matter, the Dino 206 GT, or a 246 GT, would be gorgeous even if powered by a Tecuseh.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Buick GNX

As a Buick Grand National owner, I agree. I like that motor better than my Corvette with the LT1.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I have owned two 4.3 and 3 3800's all have been bullet proof. All but the current Buick have live well past 300,000 miles.
The Buick is head there, but only has 100,000 on it right now.

Plus if something does go wrong parts are cheaper than dirt and can be bought anywhere.

I think that's why the 4.3 hung around so long in fleet sales. Fleets tend to be very sensitive to cost per mile, and repairs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Chrysler slant 6 /
not a v though

Back on topic, when history finally answers this question, I believe the Chrysler Pentastar V6 will be on top.

No. Will always be the Buick 3800. Powerful, economical (30MPG highway in 2-ton cars!), smooth, silent, and clean (ULEV), not to mention bulletproof, it saw use in everything from luxury cars, to economy cars, to Jeeps (as the Dauntless 225), to a pair of absolute rocket-ship muscle cars (the GNX and Turbo Trans Am).

We all know the GNX, but I though that the turbo TA used a pretty weak 301 CID V-8.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We all know the GNX, but I though that the turbo TA used a pretty weak 301 CID V-8.

No. You are thinking 81ish 4.9 Trans Am Turbo.

Here is your GM lesson of the day, they you can back to your regular Ford stuff...
grin.gif
1989 Turbo Trans Am

seems like the answer over overwhelmingly is the 3800 and 4.3. i am a bit surprised given the intake issues and the 3800 goofy coolant elbows. lol but i will agree it is a good engine.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
seems like the answer over overwhelmingly is the 3800 and 4.3. i am a bit surprised given the intake issues and the 3800 goofy coolant elbows. lol but i will agree it is a good engine.

Except those are easy things to fix. In all three of mine I have never had a coolant elbow problem and you are talking a small sample of the millions made from the 60's until the last cars that used it in 08. Same with the 4.3. I do the gasket once and forget it. I don't even check the oil between changes in the Buick. Other V6 motors are not so lucky. Except for my CTS that owned, I will never own a V6 with a timing belt that requires me to take apart half the motor for "Scheduled Maintenance" Seems to me huge maintenance like that gets a pass as long as it is considered "Normal". I just compare the gasket to doing a timing belt, or headgasket on some Toyotas.

Thanks.
I didn't know that such a thing ever existed.
It was apparently as widely available as donkey milk cheese.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Chrysler slant 6 /
not a v though

No. Will always be the Buick 3800. Powerful, economical (30MPG highway in 2-ton cars!), smooth, silent, and clean (ULEV), not to mention bulletproof, it saw use in everything from luxury cars, to economy cars, to Jeeps (as the Dauntless 225), to a pair of absolute rocket-ship muscle cars (the GNX and Turbo Trans Am).

Powerful?
Certainly on the GNX. But the current Camry V6 falls right between the Omni GLHS and the GNX in the 1/4 mile. (stock of course)

Drive an early '80s Buick Electra with the 4.1 variant and a 4bbl and it feels at least as powerful as the Olds 307, but then drive a Maxima with a VG30 or Cressida with a 5M I6 and all the sudden the 4.1 4bbl V6 feels completely gutless. Even BMW's 528e feels stronger and it's out of steam around 4000 rpm. (to be fair, the eta gets a lot better fuel economy)

So we go to the 3800 series. If you are going after the smaller Chrysler 3.5, you had better have the supercharged 3800. Anything less and the 250 hp Chrysler will run away.

Compared to GM's own D/I 3.6? I doubt I would use the term "powerful" to describe the 3800.

I'll give the 3800 credit for it's longevity and overlook several years of car fires on 3800 equipped vehicles and gasket woes. Credit where credit is due to the GNX for it's power at that time in history. But overall I wouldn't class the 3800 as "powerful".

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
how good were the cars that they bolted the 3800 into? to make it easy just the gen 2 3800

They are all about the same electronics/tranny wise. S/C cars got a beefed up tranny. The Buicks had extra sound deading in certain parts of the chasis or so I am told. Otherwise it is really a toss up.
My Grand Prix and Bonneville felt very similar and I liked them just fine, everyone complains about the plastic, but they had the same amount as my ex wife's Accord and the 02 Jetta the current wife and I had. 97 and 98 cars had some steering rack issues associated with the bearing used in them. The balls would fall out and steering would not be smooth. It was fixed in 99 and up and any rack you buy to replace an original.
Other than that, I can't think of anything I have really replace on any of mine unless I blew up a tranny in one of my S/C ones. I have done an alternator, valve cover gaskets and a few water pumps. My Bonneville and Grand Prix never needed that gasket done. When I got the Buick it was the first thing I did. The pervious owner ran the coolant low, which killed the gasket then Jiffy Screw did not put Dex cool in to top it off.

The ford 3.8/3.9 has to get some honourable mention here. There is a guy with a new edge mustang with that sixxer with over 600000 miles on it with no engine work whatsoever. IIRC he uses quaker state 10W-30 at 3000 mile intervals. He is in michigan somewhere and its his commuter.

Last edited:
I'm going to be the first one to go with something new, and say the GM 3.6L High Feature V6.

If we want to count I-6 definitely the Jeep/AMC 4.0L Straight 6.

Which V6 is that? I'm only aware of the 3.4L being the "good". Timing belt, but non-interference.

I think some of this depends on application?

The GM v6s have seen marine duty, which is a much more strenuous application than a car. Same with the honda v6 which spends its time up on-end in honda 4cycle outboards.

To be truthful I'm not sure I've ever had a v6 I didn't like.

Nissan V6 out of our 97 pathfinder was a little quirky to work on but towed well and was a smooth performer. It always smelled of antifreeze and required top-off every 6 months, WP never failed.... porous aluminum? but day in-and-out reliable.

Honda v6 in our mdx is t-i-g-h-t and is a screamer and well more power than the vehicle needs.

I've lived with a 3.3 chrysler for 4 years and on year 2 with a 3.8. Neither have given me *any* problems. I towed several times over the limit, in the mountains, with the 3.3 and it was solid. The 3.8 is even better. If the 3.8 is thirsty, that's news to me. it outdoes the 3.3, and I can get 24-26 mpg in the town and country with it.

I would rate all of these above the chryco 3.7. It was tappity and had weird vibrations from it, though did decent on gas and put up with being flogged off-road and some trailer duty.

Honorable mention to a chryco 3.5 I lived with for 6 months. Dual intake manifolds, TBs and dual pipes and cats to the single muffler, that engine would absolutely scream and had a beautiful sound. The car around it, however, was falling apart.

If I had to choose from only my own experiences, it'd be the chryco 3.8, or the honda/acura. (that said, there's a 4.7 toyota 8 in the driveway that is in an entirely different league...)

LOTS of good offerings out there! I'm not partial to timing belt or chain now... both have pro's and con's, and TB maintenance is so infrequent it doesn't bother me... and I've seen enough chain guides go bad over the years... so they even out.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
no love for the crysler 3.3, 3.8 family? ive seen many of those engines in dodge caravans run a long time reliably. the transmissions they were mated to ruined their reputation, but they were/are reliable engines.

They were mediocre engines that guzzle fuel, have no power, and consume a lot of oil. They're better forgotten.

As far as the best V6s, the ones currently in production by all major manufacturers all seem to be pretty darn impressive. They all seem to get 260-280hp out of 3.5 liters and get close to 30mpg doing it, even with modern emissions controls. I think that's better than something made in the past.

most of those vans would get in the mid 20's mpg wise and had plenty of power. the ones that consumed oil consumed oil due to neglect, not design. the 3.3 and 3.8 crysler v6 engines were a good engine for their day. the caravan was the best selling van forever and i've never heard complaints of the engines, just transmissions.

Back