What is the affect of Run Flats / suspension etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recall reading etc etc about how run flat tires should not be used in cars not designed for run flats due to suspension, etc, etc.

It looks like the entire industry is moving towards the run flat side of things.

What would be the effects of vice versa - snow tires on a car /suspension that is designed for Run Flat Tires.

Run flats do provide a harsher ride, but I think the most common reason not to use run-flats on most cars is that you need a TPMS so you know if you have a flat. Ride quality could be adjusted with tire pressure.

Quote:

Run flats do provide a harsher ride, but I think the most common reason not to use run-flats on most cars is that you need a TPMS so you know if you have a flat. Ride quality could be adjusted with tire pressure.

I've read some comments about Mini Cooper owners who decided against runflats (higher cost and poor selection were noted) and went with standard tires and maybe a couple of Fix-A-Flat cans. Most noted that handling seemed to go down. The stiff sidewalls of the runflats seem to make for "go kart" handling.

BTW - there are a lot of winter tires now that are runflats. Makes a lot of sense. I don't particularly like changing flat tires, and really don't want to do so in the snow. I'm also not sure how well Fix-A-Flat works in cold temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back