What is an "assault rifle"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is, lots of kids are "anti-social" and likely to never do anything. Granted, that's true in more ways than one--they're not apt to kill anyone, nor become meaningful members of society. Which by itself may justify intervention. But my point is, hindsight is always more clear than foresight--and we all know what good assumptions are ("oh, he's got one of those traits--let's medicate!").

Shannow, no, no full autos have been allowed to be sold since like 1984. Ones sold prior to that are around, but like $10k and up. The maligned AR-15 is semi-auto only.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

Countries like France, UK, Ireland, Japan, Romania, or Israel?? I don't understand what you are afraid of....

Are you aware that the police in this country are under NO legal obligation to protect you? They have no responsibility.

This was the first assault rifle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44

800px-MP44_-_Tyskland_-_8x33mm_Kurz_-_Arm%C3%A9museum.jpg

Originally Posted By: supton
Problem is, lots of kids are "anti-social" and likely to never do anything. Granted, that's true in more ways than one--they're not apt to kill anyone, nor become meaningful members of society. Which by itself may justify intervention. But my point is, hindsight is always more clear than foresight--and we all know what good assumptions are ("oh, he's got one of those traits--let's medicate!").

Gotta look at other behavior along with an anti-social type of person. Are they violent? Do they say strange things like they want to hurt or kill themselves, animals or other people? ... etc, etc. I don't really care if some kid wants to be a mushroom his whole life and live in his Mom's basement until he's 50, but when he starts acting and talking weird, and is a step away from going off on society then I get concerned.

No disagreement. I just don't want to fall down some slippery slope. It's hard enough to properly diagnose mental illness, let alone get proper help. Heck, I have to question if these other countries that we are being compared to really have mental help that somehow far exceeds our abilities to help people.

Obviously a major focus on mental health and how to identify people with valid issues and warning signs, and then what to do about them, is going to be all over the map. What will need to happen is people with any hint of mental issues that can result in violence like this will be quickly focused on and probably loose some human rights. Sorry, but that's what will need to happen or this problem will never really change.

But the bottom line is, if you can't do something about identifying mentally ill people who can be violent, then this problem will never cease. Seems like in today's world, the younger generation is always going down hill more than the previous generation. Why is that? I think it's contributed to many factors (a whole other issue). Those are the things/factors we should also be focused on. Raising a mentally healthy generation can't hurt matters here. Determine what's causing younger people to de-rail and try to rectify that too.

The NRA made an announcement that they have a solution to this whole "gun violence problem", and will divulge to the government & public what their idea is. Wonder what it could be? ... should be interesting.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The NRA made an announcement that they have a solution to this whole "gun violence problem", and will divulge to the government & public what their idea is. Wonder what it could be? ... should be interesting.

Wonder if its "more guns", i.e. concealed carry legal for everyone.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

Countries like France, UK, Ireland, Japan, Romania, or Israel?? I don't understand what you are afraid of....

Are you aware that the police in this country are under NO legal obligation to protect you? They have no responsibility.

You might be wrong on this...

He is referencing a case where it was ruled a lady could not sue her local police department simply because she had been the victim of a crime. Neither she nor the police had any knowledge the crime was going to occur beforehand, but she felt she was owed damages because the crime hadn't been prevented.

The NRA has been spewing this misinterpretation of that case for years and it is the reason I let my membership lapse.

In any event they cannot be there for you in your time of need. That is why your protection is your very own responsibility.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

In any event they cannot be there for you in your time of need. That is why your protection is your very own responsibility.

The antis don't understand this and never will.

in case younger guys dont know but england begged for guns from the hunters and shooters in the us when they thougth hitler was coming, the us shooters shipped thousands of rifles to england..

I'm not sure that captures the all the facts. The assailant had a restraining order against him, but the police were not held responsible for failure to respond in a timely fashion when he violated the RO.

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete

He is referencing a case where it was ruled a lady could not sue her local police department simply because she had been the victim of a crime. Neither she nor the police had any knowledge the crime was going to occur beforehand, but she felt she was owed damages because the crime hadn't been prevented.

The NRA has been spewing this misinterpretation of that case for years and it is the reason I let my membership lapse.

The point is, the police are under no legal obligation to protect you. They do their best to that, but if they don't or can't, then you have no legal grounds to sue them. The police do their best to clean up the mess and figure out who needs to be arrested, and I'm sure they feel a personal obligation to deter crime, but your protection starts first and foremost with yourself. If you're comfortable with merely locking a door and making a phone call to the police, you should set your expectations accordingly. I feel better knowing that I can at least TRY to protect myself and my family, call the police, and hopefully be able to tell them to send an ambulance or the morgue wagon to take care of the previous threat. I treasure human life, including babies that are not born yet. But I treasure MY life and those of my loved ones WAY more than someone intent on harming me or my loved ones. Like they say, "When seconds count, the police are minutes away." Not a Rambo or a Dirty Harry, but "just sayin'".

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
There are always plans in the military(I mean look at some of the U.S. Military Proposals over the years). Hitler was a man who planned lots of things just to plan them, with units and divisions that only existed on paper(his generals often commented on this). The fact they were never attempted was also because the Swiss were simply too stubborn of a target in Hitler's eyes.

The reasons as to why it was never done have been explained. I am well aware about Hitler and his phantom divisions. I am also aware that it was in 1945. In 1940, the divisions that overarn the Norway, Denmark, Holland, Belgium, and France were real.

Next you'll tell me that Spain and Sweden were not invaded for the same reason, this armed citizen myth.

Spain was allied to Germany albeit loosely, and Sweden had economic ties to Germany and German allies like Finland, especially in regards to arms and raw materials. And Hitler always had wild fantasies and plans all around, even before the desperate situation of 1945 when he really lived in la la land.

But enough arguing history and especially world war two. The fact that it only needs to have happened once in history to really have any merit, even only if it is a factor in deterrence and not the main reason itself. The founding fathers sure felt it did, and that fact can be seen by reading their collective writings on firearm ownership. So we need to focus more on factors not associated with the technology being used in these rampage shootings. Mental health, firearms education, better enforcement of laws all can lower gun crime and not restrict the rights of astronomically overwhelming majority of law abiding civilian gun owners.

Sure you can protect your house or person with a 5 snot snubbie, but why deny a person the same level of protection we give to lets say a police officer on the street? Sure they put themselves out there, but just because the danger may come to us in the middle of the night when we are in bed are we any less deserving? Lets face it, a 17rd Glock gives you a better chance of protecting yourself than a 5 shot 38 special...especially if there is more than once assailant. I know my mom has an AR15, and there are reasons for it. Her arthritis makes shooting a handgun difficult, and the recoil of a shotgun...well she is a very very small woman. So I took her old 357 she could no longer physically shoot and her old hunting rifle and traded it in on a gun that is easy to operate(she can pull the trigger and it wont knock her over or slip out of her hands), allows her a very efficient form of defense, and is reliable.

Last edited:
At least allow the ones who have carry permits or want to obtain one, to carry at school.

Think of the efffect it might have if these nut jobs know that there is a possibility someone is armed and can fight back!

Instead of wasting tax money on transgender training;) maybe they should reward teachers who want to take fire arm course and carry! This would be another good layer of security in the schools.

Quote:
So your plan would be to ?? Do nothing? Arm the teachers and principals?

Sounds good to me.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Exactly, and that's why when the government starts trying to take guns away from law abiding citizen is when a revolution starts. Upstanding, normal and sane citizens should have every right to protect themselves with deadly force if the police can't be with you 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back