What is an "assault rifle"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish a responsible media outlet would run a video like this, but that will never happen. This video does an exemplary job of explaining various types of firearms. The term "assault rifle" as the media and the gun control advocates use, is pure myth and an outright lie in most cases. A scary looking gun like a Bushmaster M4 semi auto has the same firing mechanism as a .223 hunting rifle. Banning plastic collapsible stocks will do nothing but put plastic mold manufacturers out of business. The good part is at 5:55.

Last edited:
Don't ever mistakenly think that the gun-grabbers (media, social elites, and government officials alike) have ANY desire to understand ANYTHING about guns. Their goal is to completely ban firearms, thus disarming the LAW-ABIDING population. Many LAW-ABIDING citizens would become "criminals" rather than surrendering their firearms. What do you think keeps the federal government or any other body from harassing the U.S. population? It's the very REAL threat of an ARMED population.

Originally Posted By: nra1ifer
Don't ever mistakenly think that the gun-grabbers (media, social elites, and government officials alike) have ANY desire to understand ANYTHING about guns. Their goal is to completely ban firearms, thus disarming the LAW-ABIDING population. Many LAW-ABIDING citizens would become "criminals" rather than surrendering their firearms. What do you think keeps the federal government or any other body from harassing the U.S. population? It's the very REAL threat of an ARMED population.

That nail there, you hit it on the head.

The scary part is, there are people who really believe that the government wants to ban firearms to protect the people ...

Last edited:
What do you think keeps the federal government or any other body from harassing the U.S. population? It's the very REAL threat of an ARMED population.

Do you really believe that??

He is 100% correct, ask some other countries what happens when the citizen population is disarmed?

Originally Posted By: Gabe
What do you think keeps the federal government or any other body from harassing the U.S. population? It's the very REAL threat of an ARMED population.

Read your history. Do you think Hitler would have tried to exterminate the Jewish population (or any others, for that matter) if they had been armed?

I love you, man!

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Read your history. Do you think Hitler would have tried to exterminate the Jewish population (or any others, for that matter) if they had been armed?

First off, Hitler was elected into office. Second, gun ownership didn't stop Germany from invading France, Greece, UK, Norway, ect. I doubt Jewish gun laws even weighed much into it.

Your example is pretty bad argument...

It's so sad but totally predictable that every time some tragedy happens we are subjected to the same knee jerk reactions... BAN GUNS!

There were a lot of drownings last year... BAN WATER! Makes about as much sense.

First off, Hitler was elected into office. Second, gun ownership didn't stop Germany from invading France, Greece, UK, Norway, ect. I doubt Jewish gun laws even weighed much into it.

Your example is pretty bad argument...

That's what I love about this country. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. I'll stick to mine, thanks!

Originally Posted By: VNTS
He is 100% correct, ask some other countries what happens when the citizen population is disarmed?

Countries like France, UK, Ireland, Japan, Romania, or Israel?? I don't understand what you are afraid of....

Originally Posted By: VNTS

Countries like France, UK, Ireland, Japan, Romania, or Israel?? I don't understand what you are afraid of....

If you don't get it, you never will. Have fun!!

Its okay, they're going to poison us with chemtrails instead. Your guns won't protect you.

Vehicle accidents have caused many tens of thousands of deaths over the years. The gov't has increased safety standards and deaths have been reduced significantly. Any type of gun reform always gets shot down though. Slippery slope...cold dead hands...etc...arguements.

I couldn't care less if you feel the need to be armed. Some changes could be warranted to the current policy, though. Will it happen? Who knows. By the time they act, the 24 hour news cycle will have moved on and people who were not direcly affected will forget. Sweeping changes are highly unlikely to happen.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Some changes could be warranted to the current policy, though.

Changes to our current policies regarding violent video games, mental health care, phoning/texting while driving, and Hollywood's glamorization of violence would have a much greater effect, if the real objective is to save lives.

My "arsenal" must be defective. It hasn't killed anyone!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

It's so sad but totally predictable that every time some tragedy happens we are subjected to the same knee jerk reactions... BAN GUNS!

There were a lot of drownings last year... BAN WATER! Makes about as much sense.

We need to deal with gun violence. That means putting restrictions on the amount of ammo sold, maybe purchase of one gun/month, ban rapid fire assault rifles, background checks for private and gun shows.

The arguments listed by others here are the ones the NRA has been using for the past twenty years and all they have gotten us is more guns everywhere and one or two massacres a month.

Maybe you can poke holes in all my suggestions and say they will not work. But if they cut it to one massacre every other month it would be better than what we have now.

Last edited:

Strong username to topic to post count ratio.

I love guns and I love the second amendment. Doesn't mean I can't simultaneously support stronger gun laws and stronger regulation of gun ownership.

That's the point. Guns ARE everywhere. And they are not going away.

A massacre is not a 'guns only' event. The whackos are going to get more creative and continue to hurt and even kill innocent folks.

The school was a "gun free" zone. So is Rwanda. So is Detroit!!!

Might want to check, someone was probably just shot in Detroit by an illegal gun. A ban is simply a knee jerk reaction without any thought.

Society's degradation in general has more to do with that than anything. The lack of basic respect for human life is at the root. Let's hear you argue for the pro-abortion crowd. Killing unborn babies probably makes perfect sense to you. It only matters if they are killed AFTER they are born, huh? Dead is dead.

It is very hard to justify the sale of a 100 rd drum.

I have spent a fair amount of time hunting and a second shot is rare. My Dad always said that if I wasn't 110% sure where the bullet was going to end up and how it was getting there, then don't shoot. A fair amount of coyotes got away because I couldn't be 110% sure of my shot placement. If you missed 3 times in a row, you don't need a bigger magazine; you need to rethink your shots. It is that simple.

Same goes for self defense. Shooting blindly in the direction of a threat isn't helping anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back