What is an "assault rifle"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Japanese...they did not invade the U.S. mainland in part because of our population being well armed.

I can honestly say that I did not know that...

Yes, that is true... IIRC, the quote, loosely translated, said that they could not successfuly invade the US because 'there would be a yankee with a gun behind every tree'.

Hmmmmm, let's see.... Pot is illegal..... meth is illegal..... cocaine is illegal..... on, and on..... We ALL know it's impossible to get any of that stuff, right???

Originally Posted By: nra1ifer
Hmmmmm, let's see.... Pot is illegal..... meth is illegal..... cocaine is illegal..... on, and on..... We ALL know it's impossible to get any of that stuff, right???

So now your solution to America's drug problem is to legalize drugs.

Nobody is saying eliminate guns! (At least I am not) What the vast majority of individuals say is that stronger regulation is needed. Limiting the number of rounds that can be purchased at any one time and in any given month, limiting the amount of firearms that can be purchased in a certain amount of time, limiting gun capacities (i.e. 100 rd clip), initiating a more in depth background check, making gun safety and handling training mandatory (Don't pass the course, don't get a gun), having yearly inspections done for any signs of illegal modification. Most importantly of all, for individuals who are not allowed to have firearms make the punishments greater.

No, I'd rather every household be required to have an AR-15-type rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol, know how to use them, and take responsibility for their own family's protection. Arm each school's administration, too. Heavy penalties (that are enforced)for misuse. Crime rate would take a nose dive.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Donald -

1. Restricting ammo will do nothing...a criminal will steal from the law abiding or just stock up thru time until he has enough.

2. Purchase of 1 gun a month is already law in some areas and wow, just like restricting ammo - criminals will just steal or collect over time.

3. Ban rapid fire assault rifles? Yeah - they already are banned. You cannot just buy a full auto rifle. Well, if you want to go thru the process and pay thousands of dollars for a permit and then $10-15,000 for the weapon. Leave out assault because they is such a media coined term that means nothing. Any tool to commit a crime can be an assault weapon.

4. Background checks on gun show private person sales I have no issue with. Just go to a gun vender, pay his fee and make the sale. Sure, I can see that as a reasonable request.

Lastly - people need to stop blaming the NRA. The NRA is made up of MILLIONS of gun owners - they are OUR voice and we need them to STOP gun grabbing no idea having libturds who act on emotions from these school shootings to ban guns because there are NO facts to support their case.

PERIOD.

So your plan would be to ?? Do nothing? Arm the teachers and principals?

What exactly is your plan to cut down on gun violence since you do not like any of the suggestions I listed?

I only showed where your ideas were flawed. I also would love to end all violence but banning stuff isn't the way and with hundreds of gun laws already on the books what more as far as legislation can be done? Really - none of the current laws can stop these crazy people which is more reason to not infringe on law abiding people and thier rights.

As for you comment on arming teachers? Heck yeah - one good guy or gal with a gun could have prevented or atleast minized the deaths at the school by eliminating the attacker. THAT is so easy to see.

Respectively so, we probably won't agree on the issue but I know we can agree on the person that did bad not the gun.

DONALD - read this as it's so true and guns would be just like drugs.

DONALD - read this as it's so true and guns would be just like drugs.

Hmm... now apply that logic to the "A" debate.

Originally Posted By: Donald

So your plan would be to ?? Do nothing? Arm the teachers and principals?

That's exactly what needs to be allowed. And expand concealed carry. The Oklahoma shooter seems to have selected a theater where he knew law abiding citizens would not be armed( he picked the theater where concealed carry was not allowed.)

Also require law enforcement to conceal carry when off duty.

Last edited:

Access to drugs is not guaranteed by the Constitution of this country.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Access to drugs is not guaranteed by the Constitution of this country.

Darn it!!! There's that pesky Constitution again!!!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Some changes could be warranted to the current policy, though.

Changes to our current policies regarding violent video games, mental health care, phoning/texting while driving, and Hollywood's glamorization of violence would have a much greater effect, if the real objective is to save lives.

Exactly ... look at the common thread in all these latest shootings. Younger people who all had major mental problems, and almost all of them smoked themselves. The real issue here is trying to prevent mentally ill people from obtaining and using guns in mass shootings.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Changes to our current policies regarding violent video games, mental health care, phoning/texting while driving, and Hollywood's glamorization of violence would have a much greater effect, if the real objective is to save lives.

Exactly ... look at the common thread in all these latest shootings. Younger people who all had major mental problems, and almost all of them smoked themselves. The real issue here is trying to prevent mentally ill people from obtaining and using guns in mass shootings.

Not to sound callous, but the responsibility for the Conn. shootings lay squarely on the shooter's mother. Her son had known problems, yet somehow had access to her weapons. That's irresponsible to say the least.

Originally Posted By: Boatowner

You can't stop nut cases from being nut cases.

This is where the debate should/will head.
You can't fix crazy.
You can't legislate against crazy.

Sadly these events will occur again and its not likely we'll have found a way to prevent them - no matter how much 'debate' takes place.

Every law abiding citizen that legally carries concealed should be deputized to mow down crazy mass shooters in the act with no questions asked. That's how you stop them if you can't prevent it from occurring in the first place.

Not to sound callous, but the responsibility for the Conn. shootings lay squarely on the shooter's mother. Her son had known problems, yet somehow had access to her weapons. That's irresponsible to say the least.

True ... and look where it got her. But just like you can't control mental crazy, you also can't control "irresponsible" with laws. Some people do whatever they want in the end, regardless of laws.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I can agree with that - violent criminals should be prohibited from purchasing and owning guns (by the way, they already are). And gun stores should not be allowed to sell guns to violent criminals (by the way, that law is already in place as well). However, I do believe that firearm owners need to be responsible and limit access to their firearms. Kids and mentally ill or unstable individuals should not be able to access firearms in the home.

I can see that someday it may be that everyone who owns guns will have to register and be responsible to control access of every gun they own. If their guns are obtained by somebody else without their direct permission (and caught with that gun in their possession), then the owner and the person in possession could be heavily fined and/or put in jail.

The only way anything will change is if laws are made almost ridiculously tough. You may hear one day: "May I see your papers for that gun?"

As for you comment on arming teachers? Heck yeah - one good guy or gal with a gun could have prevented or atleast minized the deaths at the school by eliminating the attacker. THAT is so easy to see.

Teachers in TX can (and do) pack heat while teaching.

That doesn't mean we need to make it easy for a criminal to get a gun... I want a criminal to have a very difficult time getting a gun.

How ? By passing a LAW? Can you see the fallacy ? Criminals don't obey laws by definition.

Look at the facts. The highest violent crime rate areas also happen to have the strictest gun laws. It simply does not work. What does work is concealed carry rights for law abiding citizens.

Teachers in TX can (and do) pack heat while teaching.

I live in Texas and this, to the best of my knowledge, that is not true. Schools are gun free zones. I know there was talk of this but I have not heard anymore of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back