What is a good synthetic 5W-20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK Whatever, less expensive. Please tell us why Redline is so much better? No less wear. No better at cold starts. No longer engine or oil life. Just more expensive.

I take my own mobile one 10/30 to the dodge dealership, and I ask the service mgr what he used and he uses M 1 oil....So with that in mind, ask toyota service mgr, well its a thought

pablo why doesn't amsoil do a test against redline motor oil? I love the test and you look and you see the likes of Castrol GTX and PYB. If it's truely the best oil you would see Redline and Motul in the line up.....But we will never see it.

I just like giving amsoil reps a hard time.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
OK Whatever, less expensive. Please tell us why Redline is so much better? No less wear. No better at cold starts. No longer engine or oil life. Just more expensive.

Much like Amsoil I have no proof, but it's pretty well known Group V does it all better. Yes, yes, yes.

I need to become a redline sponsor on this site.....or wait another amsoil....I have a Dealer ZO

Oh maybe offer both or more schaeffers to...the list goes on. Lots of great products out there

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
pablo why doesn't amsoil do a test against redline motor oil? I love the test and you look and you see the likes of Castrol GTX and PYB. If it's truely the best oil you would see Redline and Motul in the line up.....But we will never see it.

I just like giving amsoil reps a hard time.

Why would any oil company bring to the forefront of their testing oils that JQP has never heard of?

Of course you do, and you totally waste bandwidth doing it. I post my single answer then I have to pop back in to deal with your falsehoods and misleading statements. At least you are reading what I'm writing, unlike the time you made up the stuff about sales tax.

That was funny and got you burnt up
35.gif

I'm sorry I'll give you a break...Amsoil is a good product. I feel the XL line is the best value of amsoil products....

LMAO I just realized i'm wearing an black Amsoil racing shirt
33.gif

Last edited:
Ive tried a couple of Synthetic 5w20 oils, Valvoline,Havoline, PP and Castrol along with the conventional 5w20s and the only one that seemed to show any improvement in gas milelage was the Synthetic Quaker State 5w20. I never tried Amsoil or Mobil 1. The quaker State surprised me by rising above the rest and giving consistantly better fuel milelage. It would not have been my guess.

Just one more thought before leaving for work. If the cost
of an oil is going to hurt you, don't buy it. Don't spend more than you can afford for anything (even oil!). If on a budget & you are determined to use syn, get on sale. AZ has sales on Castrol a couple times a year, and other auto parts stores do also, on different brands. I am using Red Line now, because I always wanted to, and it is just a hobby for me. I only have one vehicle, and use 9 quarts a year. Do I NEED syn?, no. I'm just having fun, & hope you are also....heading your way (Memphis), take care...........jr

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 truck and been trying out different brand oils in 20 wt. mostly synthetic and yet to find one that I am impressed with, maybe except Castrol Syntec 5W-20 which surprised me. But still not settled on one particular oil yet. Any suggestions?

Schaeffer's

No need for synthetic in a 5w-20 given the low viscosity basestock and inherently low required VII. That's for the OP not you ringo. Just listening to Beatles remastered with the beatles. Man those master tapes are trashed. Time to get out my old Capitols I bought in the early sixties and make my own MLP files.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 truck and been trying out different brand oils in 20 wt. mostly synthetic and yet to find one that I am impressed with, maybe except Castrol Syntec 5W-20 which surprised me. But still not settled on one particular oil yet. Any suggestions?
Yes. Pennzoil 5w-30 not 20w and a Wix filter. Smoothness will be regained.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Man those master tapes are trashed. Time to get out my old Capitols I bought in the early sixties and make my own MLP files.

^^Right Arco! Reissues ALWAYS sound horrible! It`s original vinyl or nothing at all the way I see it.
cheers3.gif

Take your pic. Not many bad 20 weights that I know of. Inexpensive syns like PP, synpower, and XLM are the best bang for the money imho for reasonable OCIs (7.5K'ish).

valvoline synpower gets my vote...smoothest oil ever used

over at uoa i see very nice and consistent wear results

i would pick valvoline over amsoil, castrol syntec, pp, mobil 1 anyday for an OCI of 7500

Last edited:
I have already tried Amsoil. 0W-20, and I tell you, was not impressed at all. seemed like my engine was noisier with it and I felt engine was not as smooth as when I had other synthetic oils in it. I drained it before 4,000 miles and put in Castrol Edge 5W-30 in there and that is what I have in now. I put in the Edge 5W-30 because it is a very low viscocity 30 grade oil, actually more like a thick 20 grade, in the hopes of quiting down the engine, but not much help, but at least engine seems to run better with it versus Amsoil.

I know now the Amsoil guy is going to jump all over me over these comments, but listen I don't care what you say, I know my own truck and I feel the small differences however small different oils make in its performance.

I would never "jump all over" you. Is that my reputation or something?

What you felt is what you felt. Our Honda feels best on Amsoil 0W-20 and is the quietest with it, but all engines and filter combinations are different. Some folks like 5W-20 XLM better than 0W-20 ASM, but most are quite happy with the ASM and are amazed by the extended drain capability. No sense using it, if you aren't going to go beyond 10K.

I have already tried Amsoil. 0W-20, and I tell you, was not impressed at all. seemed like my engine was noisier with it and I felt engine was not as smooth as when I had other synthetic oils in it. I drained it before 4,000 miles and put in Castrol Edge 5W-30 in there and that is what I have in now. I put in the Edge 5W-30 because it is a very low viscocity 30 grade oil, actually more like a thick 20 grade, in the hopes of quiting down the engine, but not much help, but at least engine seems to run better with it versus Amsoil.

I know now the Amsoil guy is going to jump all over me over these comments, but listen I don't care what you say, I know my own truck and I feel the small differences however small different oils make in its performance.

Keep using Castrol Edge if you are happy with its performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back