What happened to Arco graphite motor oil?

Do you want unfiltered oil going through the bypass lubricating your engine?

No. but we wouldn't know.... I'd prefer it a lot over no oil circulating though...

The plugging of oil filters makes no sense when the (non-stick) graphite particles are an order of magnitude smaller than what the filter can catch. Add to that the bypass valves.

I worked in a quick lube in the 70's and people would bring that graphite oil in and want it put in their car for their first oil change. It was almost painful to dump that stuff into a new clean engine and turn it black instantly.

and why? didn't work? or didn't sell? I know it was black....
Thanks Alex
I used it a couple of times. The problem was- when you poured it out of the bottle it was black and looked like used oil. I used to use Duckhams Q in high school because it poured out green.

I used it a couple of times. The problem was- when you poured it out of the bottle it was black and looked like used oil. I used to use Duckhams Q in high school because it poured out green.
Castrol used to be dyed green? Or was that Silkoline?

I used it in the 1980 Bonneville 301 my Dad bought me to drive to college; never had any problems and passed it to my brother, who drove it for years, until he got rear-ended in Ft. Worth so many times the body shops couldn't straighten the rear frame again.
Something about it appealed to the engineering student I was. Never hurt anything as far as I know.

Back