What did your Autozone put in place of NextGen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does trace amounts of PCBs in motor oil have to do with your health?

LOL, we all know the Great(?) State of California has determined that used motor oil (and, apparently, almost every other element and compound), is a carcinogen.

I'm lost as to the relevance of your post.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
the Milwaukee journal

portland oil recycling co

midas

OK, you've proven that oil recycling companies can bungle up and get some PCBs mixed in with used motor oil.

So, what?

What's that got to do with the price of rice in India?

We've seen no data that PCBs can't be distilled out of oil, or that it even does anything to compromise the function if motor oil even if it does make it through re-refining.

In the first article-link you provided, people are only advised to return the oil if it's being used for something other than lubricating an engine (what that would be, I have no clue, lol).

The first article clearly states that if oil with PCB was used as engine lubricant, no worries. Not sure what the issue is either?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Whoa whoa whoa, why the hostility?

Yeah, I was probably a little heavy handed there. Regardless, my frustration with turtlevette and the ignorant statement is still stands.

How the conclusion is drawn because Valvoline does not disclose their used oil suppliers, is not good basis for his supposition of refined oil and Valvoline making junk. It is not uncommon for many industries regardless of product to name their suppliers to the general public. What matters is what the final product is and with much UOA and testing of the oil by persons here and professionally, it does not bear out turtlevette's supposition on the state of the refined oil industry.

Here is the best proof of the quality of Nextgen Maxlife:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2710907/BMW_318i,_4K_oil,_132K_car,_Ne#Post2710907

I've never seen any oil provide better results in any BMW UOA.

So NG is gone from Walmart and now from AZ? Around here, that just leaves AAP and I refuse to pay their ludicrous price for it.

Having said that, I am disappointed not only in its lack of availability and high cost, but throw in the PQIA advisory and that pretty much ensures I won't be trying it...and I was looking forward to doing so at my next OCI. Back to MC for me...

I guess I would be one of Nextgen's target population... educated environmentalist guy who does his own work... but I would rather have a better end product than a green bottle. I would say it failed not because of a lack of mass adoption... it could survive it is cheaper and yielded a larger profit margin. Rather, it failed because most environmentalist likely saw it as "green-washing" an already destructive practice. If they were smarter, they should have amped up the addpack/product quality to allow increase OCI, prestige value etc OR dropped it to the same price as VWB. It was caught in no-mans land. Too expensive and not a good enough product.

When I had the choice between $4 "sale" bottles and other options (say Havoline HM), there was no incentive for me to pick Nextgen even at the discounted price. I will only use syn on two of my cars and the beater gets the "cheap stuff". Again, Nextgen was stuck in my own middle-no-mans-land of consumer behavior.

What is "PQIA"?

To FutureDoc - it's the same price as VWB.

I agree, marketing failure.

Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Here at my local AZ, the Nextgen stuff is still there. It was not $1 quart there and there it still sits. judging by the amount there compared to other brands, it doesnt sell that well for them.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
What is "PQIA"?

Oh, that's right.

So, what, NextGen got a bad report?

Got a link?

I haven't checked to see if my local AZ has gotten rid of NextGen, but Pennzoil Ultra showed up in 4 different viscosities a couple of weeks ago.
If I was managing an AZ, I'd dump NextGen for Ultra in a hot second!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Here is the best proof of the quality of Nextgen Maxlife:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2710907/BMW_318i,_4K_oil,_132K_car,_Ne#Post2710907

I've never seen any oil provide better results in any BMW UOA.

I don't think a UOA proves anything quite frankly and many would agree with me.

That said, if somebody ran the product for a very long time and did a tear down that showed a clean engine with minimal wear, then that would speak volumes as to the quality of the product.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
What is "PQIA"?

Oh, that's right.

So, what, NextGen got a bad report?

Got a link?

Its right on their website on another thread on this forum is discussing it. 5w30 checked out, 5w20 sample failed SN noack.

I am disappointed to see these test results as I am guilty of banging the Valvoline drum on this forum more than a few times. (have had very good personal experience with there products). A question I have for the people "in the know" would be: What does a noack of 18 vs 15 or even lower like Sopus products mean to the engine? does this mean more wear? A dirty engine? Sooner top offs? It's been mentioned on here that the TEOST is more indicative of deposits left behind, with that being said, what does this all mean? other than a possible quality control issue.
I suspect this has nothing to do with the fact that it's recycled.

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
I am disappointed to see these test results as I am guilty of banging the Valvoline drum on this forum more than a few times. (have had very good personal experience with there products). A question I have for the people "in the know" would be: What does a noack of 18 vs 15 or even lower like Sopus products mean to the engine? does this mean more wear? A dirty engine? Sooner top offs? It's been mentioned on here that the TEOST is more indicative of deposits left behind, with that being said, what does this all mean? other than a possible quality control issue.

They measure vaporization loss under high-temperature. If they vaporize, they become thicker and heavier.

http://www.astm.org/Standards/D5800.htm

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
What does a noack of 18 vs 15 or even lower like Sopus products mean to the engine? does this mean more wear? A dirty engine? Sooner top offs? It's been mentioned on here that the TEOST is more indicative of deposits left behind, with that being said, what does this all mean? other than a possible quality control issue.

Noack measures volatility, and under the conditions of the test primarily the amount of light ends. Variations in Noack volatility may affect oil consumption and deposits, but not to a great degree. Your engine will not self destruct.

The Noack result is often a good indicator of the quality of the base oils used. In my opinion, ILSAC ratcheted down the Noack specification to force formulators to use more higher quality base oils, more so then to improve volatility related engine performance. It was an easy way to push oils into Group II and III, which increased demand for these better base oils, and therefore supply. The result is that virtually all conventional oils today are now using higher quality base oils, which makes engine builders happy.

Tom NJ

As a salesman, I also had a hard time selling this and other 100% (Eco Power) motor oils. People say they are used. Well people don't understand that used motor oil is a much better/cleaner starting point than crude. I'd tell them that it's re refined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back