What brand tire was this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pirelli. I (Dave Clark on youtube) posted a detailed analysis of this tire failure. You can clearly see what happened if you step through the last 20 frames of video. It wasn't really the tire's fault.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Pirelli. I (Dave Clark on youtube) posted a detailed analysis of this tire failure. You can clearly see what happened if you step through the last 20 frames of video. It wasn't really the tire's fault.
So what happened. I couldn't find your channel on youtube.

Not sure where it went, it's in the comments somewhere. I found a spelling error and edited it a few minutes ago. Here is my analysis:
This was a top vehicle speed run, not a horsepower run (somewhat uncommon). They were gauging the vehicle's max speed, that's why he was in such a high gear. If you pause the video a few frames before the explosion you can see the sidewall deform and the tire (looks like a Pirelli?) become unbalanced then explode. What happened: as soon as he lifted off the gas the rear suspension and tire were released from compression, centrifugal forces on the tire changed and standard vehicle weight was restored to the front suspension. Because of this the sidewall of the tire was elongated (flexed outward) slightly. It became unbalanced and lost geometry (deformed outside of its allowed operational shape). This tire was not rated for those speeds and could not take the pressure. That broke the sidewall completely. There was no recovery once the sidewall deformed at 150MPH+. This tire probably wasn't new. The tire may have also been underinflated or overinflated (hard to tell from the quality of this video) both of which would cause additional force on the sidewall in this scenario. If the operator had lifted off the gas slowly this probably would not have happened. What's really kinda cool is that the deformed sidewall was facing the camera, not the inner sidewall which we would not have been able to see.

That makes sense. Dyno runs are real hard on tires as it is let alone a high speed run on tires not rated for it. Thanks!

tinmanSC,
great pickup.

It looks like during the "bounce" that a standing wave exists in the tread and sidewall...at the 41 second mark (ish), the reversal in drive from the dyno back to the tyre leads to a bunch of tread on the back side that's clearly way off centre.

concentrate on the video between 0:35 sec and 0:40 seconds, seems he hasnt let off the gas and the tire is already deforming. To me it seems like he didnt air it enough before the dyno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back