What automotive 'trends' do you remember clearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a youngin born in 88, it seems like cars, trucks in particular have gotten a lot bigger. The 'compact' truck of today was the full size of the 90s.
There's also screens everywhere! I remember moving across the country when I was 11 in our astro van and my parents put in a crt tv to hook up the Nintendo to keep us kids from killing each other. Now I'll be driving behind a newer suv or minivan and see a screen playing something.
It also seems to be impossible to find a new car without some sort of in-dash screen for radio/bluetooth/whatever.

My parents had 3 K-cars (82,85,87). Each one became a bit better in quality. The 82 was a joke. CV shaft went out at 30k, and the price in those days was unbelievable.

I had a friend with an 85 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. It had the digital dash, which at the time, was cool.

Then there was the 76 Ford Maverick we had before the K-cars. Not a great vehicle. My dad always had old farm trucks, as we lived on a hobby farm. Mostly Fords, if I remember correctly.
He would buy them for 500.00, and get a few years out of them.

I remember the original Taurus SHO, and especially the Buick Grand National when it came out.

Oh yeah, a friend in high school was given his parent's Chevy custom van (with the Chevy window). It became our 'party' vehicle in the later high school years.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Vacuum operated "economy gauges" were common in the 70's and 80's. Thankfully, they're gone!

Umm, no, they're not gone. My mom's 2005 BMW has one, and my wife's 2014 Subaru has one.

I remember car phones, dual gas tanks on pickup trucks, power radio antennas, and those tacky graphics on the side of pickups in the 90s. I remember my dad saying they looked so stupid. I was a little kid at the time and I thought they looked cool. Now that I'm older, I agree with my dad.

Landau tops - glad they went away.

Fake convertible roofs - WISH they'd go away.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

YES, I couldn't agree with you more. Nothing screams "grandpa car" more than a landau top or fake convertible top.

I remember the long gas lines and thinking that the incoming Japanese cars were a joke. Along the lines of the stamped metal toys that had sharp seams and would rust. Had no idea they were going to change the world, and rust. The metal flake painted vans with moon windows in the back. Shag carpeting and a recliner in said van.

The 8-track carry cases - I had one that held 8 tapes and one that held 16, depending on the length of the trip. You could tell a lot about a person based on what was in their case.

I remember driving an early '80's Celica Supra w/ the inline 6 and 5 speed and realizing that they were going to change the world.

At the same time a friend had a new Iroc with the HO V8 that made, I think, 120hp?

Not exactly a fad, but new cars that wouldn't idle correctly months after delivery.

I remember when comming to North America in the 70's seeing cars with little plastic Coats of arms on the tail lights and 'C' pillars.
Also bits of plastic chrome filigree on the fake wood panels on the dashboard.

The brake pedals (cars were all automatic) were about 6" wide and had "Power Brakes" printed in the rubber. Like the steering, the brakes were Over assisted.

Cars had Bumper, Jacks that hooked under the massive chrome bumpers and you could crank the car off it's wheels a notch at a time.

Automatic chokes, when cold you would Floor the gas pedal once of twice before starting to Set the Choke.

Side exit tail pipes on Trucks and Station Wagons.

Originally Posted By: exranger06

YES, I couldn't agree with you more. Nothing screams "grandpa car" more than a landau top or fake convertible top.

You're kidding around, correct? Please pardon all the pics!
51gPkBe-wtL.jpg

You realize, don't you, that 30 years from now the kids here are going to laughing that you guys were driving things like this:
007-13TDI_JUKb044-large.jpg

2014-honda-odyssey-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-607070-s-original.jpg

honda-ricer.jpg

2015-honda-accord-hybrid.jpg

Windows with cranks disappeared, now most is electric windows. Young people probably have to stare at a window crank before figuring it out.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

The 8-track carry cases - I had one that held 8 tapes and one that held 16, depending on the length of the trip. You could tell a lot about a person based on what was in their case.

I remember the CD binders. As soon as you'd hop in a friends car, everyone would go flipping through 100 CDs to see what they had.

That horrid teal color of the 90's.

Contact/shelf paper that looked like wood on my parents AMC Eagle and other wagons/SUV's.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: exranger06

You're kidding around, correct? Please pardon all the pics!
51gPkBe-wtL.jpg

You realize, don't you, that 30 years from now the kids here are going to laughing that you guys were driving things like this:
007-13TDI_JUKb044-large.jpg

2014-honda-odyssey-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-607070-s-original.jpg

honda-ricer.jpg

2015-honda-accord-hybrid.jpg

That Camaro would look way better without the vinyl top...

Pushbutton door handles:
18n9j4tf72l7ejpg.jpg

I love the ones on my Cruiser, sometimes they flummox my kid's friends.

Fender mounted turn signal indicators (that doohicky near the headlight). Facing the driver was an amber lens with a bulb wired to the turn signals. I think Chrysler favored them in the '60s and '70s. If you put something like this on a car today the driver wouldn't even be able to see it.
Red-Dodge--24300_7.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CBR.worm

I bought an 8 track player and CB/AM/FM combo off ebay to restore the Trans Am.

Firebirds with Knight Rider "woo woo" strips on the front.

Full-size vans with airbrushed art (usually of the Grim Reaper) on the sides.

Cars shrinking in size, then growing again.

The rise of the minivan, and then the SUV.

Turn signals, 12 volt electrical system, replaceable air filter element, pvc wiring insulation, alternators, disc brakes,radial tires,fuel injection, electronic ignition, ABS, tubeless tires, *******************

Originally Posted By: expat
I remember when comming to North America in the 70's seeing cars with little plastic Coats of arms on the tail lights and 'C' pillars.
Also bits of plastic chrome filigree on the fake wood panels on the dashboard.

My dad's fairmont had this!

Also he had a rare stick shift so on the dash where PRNDL would normally be displayed was a filler panel with another heradlic thingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back