What Automotive Battery does everyone like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I go with Sears Diehard, never had a problem with them

Last time I checked Diehard did not have a proper battery for my 95 BMW 525i. The battery is under the rear seat and vented. That is why Autozone Duralast which is vented is quite popiular with many BMW people.

BTW, being under the seat in a relativly climate controled situation, batteries seem to last a long time. That is if there is no battery drain due to electronics like there is on many newer BMWs.

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
walmart brand, best warranty, best price, and if it ever die, no matter where you are, I bet their a walmart down the street lol.

X2 well over 5yrs with a WM EverStart Maxx battery
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
walmart brand, best warranty, best price, and if it ever die, no matter where you are, I bet their a walmart down the street lol.

the best battery I had was an ACdelco which lasted almost 6 yrs....then i put a diehard which died in 2 or 3....now I use the walmart ones for the exact reasons Camarot56 said....and they hold up just as well here in this TX heat...

Originally Posted By: Russell

Last time I checked Diehard did not have a proper battery for my 95 BMW 525i. The battery is under the rear seat and vented. That is why Autozone Duralast which is vented is quite popiular with many BMW people.

Your BMW takes a group 49 battery. Johnson Controls makes the Autozone Duralast group 49 battery, and Sears does sell that same battery, also made by Johnson Controls.

I didn't find out how much Sears wants for a group 49 battery, but they want $150 for a group 48, which is the next smaller size down from the group 49. That's about $100 more than it should actually cost.

BTW, I have never seen a group 48 or 49 battery from any manufacturer that didn't have provisions for remote mounting.

Originally Posted By: brianl703

Your BMW takes a group 49 battery. Johnson Controls makes the Autozone Duralast group 49 battery, and Sears does sell that same battery, also made by Johnson Controls.

I didn't find out how much Sears wants for a group 49 battery, but they want $150 for a group 48, which is the next smaller size down from the group 49. That's about $100 more than it should actually cost.

BTW, I have never seen a group 48 or 49 battery from any manufacturer that didn't have provisions for remote mounting.

Learn something new every day. I think I paid about $75 for my Duralsst about 3-4 years ago. I think they about $90 now.

Ooops, meant to say that I've never seen a group 49 or 48 battery that didn't have a provision for remote VENTING. My Saab takes a group 48 battery and I have roughly 4 choices:

The Exide one.
The Johnson Controls one.
The East Penn one.
The AC Delco one. (I am not sure who makes the group 48 battery for AC Delco; it's none of the above as far as I can determine).

I have a 48 VRLA in my saab and a 49 VRLA in my BMW, neither have a provision for venting.

That said, they are valve regulated.

Ive found the white case MB group 49 batteries to be quite good.

No VRLA batteries have a provision for remote venting. Under normal circumstances, they do not vent.

Of course, when they do, the battery is usually damaged. I had about $150 worth of VRLA batteries fail due to a shorted cell in just one of them. All they did was sit on float charge.

I had another UPS I got where the same thing happened, so I replaced those VRLAs with two wet-cell deep-cycle marine batteries. That has been working fine and for longer now than I'd probably have gotten VRLAs to last.

Lots of good choices here...still kinda says that a battery is pretty much a battery, though. I've had pretty good luck with most of them....

can't say bad about Excide yet, as the wife's NAPA 65 is still going strong...

My next battery will prob end up being a EPD battery (superstart or Duracell)

I too have had good luck with batteries. I buy em, and they last as long if not longer than their rating, period. That's my experience.

yeah, who cares about brand. Buy one with a good warranty, some are total [censored].

And ALL batteries have some sort of vent. They have to.

I sure as heck don't want one without!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
yeah, who cares about brand. Buy one with a good warranty, some are total [censored].

Guess you don't understand what it means to vent a battery when under the rear seat. There is a vent tube that goes to the outside of the car to remove fumes. Not all batteries are made this way. Required on my BMW.

Last edited:
Under normal operation Lead Acid automotive batteries produce Hydrogen. They should have provisions for an external vent tube when mounted inside the passenger compartment.

Except for one Interstate battery that died about one year from the purchase date, I have had good luck with Johnson Controls batteries. I can't say the same for Exide or the apparently obsolete AC Delco batteries. I have never tried an East Penn battery.

Guess you don't understand what it means to vent a battery when under the rear seat. There is a vent tube that goes to the outside of the car to remove fumes. Not all batteries are made this way. Required on my BMW.

Hello?

Did you read my post? Or just pen a comment 'from the hip'?

My car also has a remote battery location (in the trunk) which requires a vent. VASTLY superior to mounting it anywhere inside the car!

As I stated before, I don't want one without it.

Last edited:

Hello?

Did you read my post? Or just pen a comment 'from the hip'?

My car also has a remote battery location (in the trunk) which requires a vent. VASTLY superior to mounting it anywhere inside the car!

As I stated before, I don't want one without it.

IMO, your post was worded unclearly so I could not determine that you meant an outside the vehicle vent. Your post seemed to imply that the battery venting directly into the vehicle was an acceptable vent. Ok?

I have had good luck with Interstate,Deka,Walmart Maxx.
I use Bosch battery grease or just toss an old copper penny near the poles on top pole batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back