turbos
CVT transmissions
hybrids
touch screens that operate important systems
Electronic safety systems that cripple the car if they malfunction
AWD
Korean vehicles
drum brakes

I also probably wouldn’t buy a 2WD truck but that’s not because I have anything against them. I just find myself frequently needing 4WD for a lot of the things I use a truck for.

This tics one of my biases. Inherent is a perfectly acceptable synonym for implicit and vice-versa.
Probably should have said Intrinsic......I think people will understand regardless. I can also become a little of a spelling/grammar/punctuation police. I am moving away from this as my language/writing skills are eroding with age.

For:
  • Direct-injected turbo engines. (Fite me, bruvs)
  • Cold, snowy winters.
Against:
  • Cars commonly found left-lane camping: Prius, white minivan with no lights on in the rain, mid-90s Subaru emitting mosquito-slaughtering clouds of burnt oil smoke with a rear bumper covered in pro-environmental bumper stickers, redneck yeeyee truck on bald tires with no muffler who aggressively cuts over any time anyone tries to pass, mid-2000s Nissan Altima with particolour panels and no rear bumper.
  • "The engineers know best!" I work with a very wide variety of engineers; they do not know best and most of the time can be found wandering in a confused circle between the coffee pot and the bathroom.

Anti : 1. People that feel a need to correct your grammar when they know exactly what you were trying to say , and the correction changes nothing . ;)
2. " Top tier "

Not against any one car manufacturer. If they can exist and sell a product in a niche, or across a spectrum then fine. Owners will be smart to know the weaknesses.

I am biased against closed minded, pro-death, anti-something people who don't even know or can't articulate in logical patterns with supporting data why they are against something.

I am for the individual and against groupthink.

Biased against:
5W-30 motor oil - IMHO, it is the jack of all trades, master of none, in the motor oil world.
Amsoil - mostly because of the over-the-top fan boys, and their marketing model.
GM - I had to deal with GM as a customer years ago. They left me with some negative opinions. That and Ignition Switch Gate.
Seafoam - all smoke and mirrors, sans the mirrors.
U.S. standard measurement system. I am so ready for metric. Come on USA, get it in gear.
Toyota - For customers that say "Give me a double dose of reliability, but hold the excitement."

Biased towards:
Mobil 1 - I just am. There, how is that for an inherent bias?
Browning - I just think they make a finer finished firearm than most all others.
H&K - Again, I just am.
Western USA - I love the mountains and wide open country.
Merrell shoes - They support my high arches, so I don't even bother looking at other shoe brands

Bias against: consumer brands

Bias for: store brands...Kirkland, Trader Joe's, Great Value, Target, etc (most of the time)

After having seen how much HQ bloat and production outsourcing is at many mega, brand name, consumer products companies.

wife gets annoyed by it.....then I point out that the money saved went to her handbag, lol.

Bias against: consumer brands

Bias for: store brand, particularly Kirkland at Costco (most of the time)

After having seen how much bloat and production outsourcing is at the HQs of many mega, brand name, consumer products companies.

wife gets annoyed by it.....then I point out that the money saved went to her handbag, lol.
I am kinda sorta with you - BUT definitely there are some inferior store brands. Some items you get what you pay for.

I don’t really have a bias towards vehicles anymore. Used to, but not anymore. If it works and fits my needs and budget then I’m cool with it.

I will say I don’t like all the truck machismo (even from women) and never have…. Real men drive trucks… Girls can drive trucks too… Man, I just “gotta” have a truck, you know… even though they have nothing to tow our hall with it. All that garbage. If you like them and just wanna have one, that’s fine, but say it. Don’t turn it into a personality conflict.

We should not hold manhood so cheaply as to suggest it could be purchased on a dealership parking lot.

Against:
Threads that are closed for no apparent reason other than the staff member is bored by the subject. Not talking about my threads, just a trend in general.
The influencers
The never ending negativity, it's why I quit BITOG years ago and about to leave again.

For:
Renaming the Forum
"Bob is The Oil Guy"
Where Old Codgers
Gather to Gripe

Last edited:
Anti : 1. People that feel a need to correct your grammar when they know exactly what you were trying to say , and the correction changes nothing . ;)
2. " Top tier "
The use of lean for lien doesn't bug you at all?

I have become desensitized to the use of apostrophe's for plural's. Certainly not going to cite example's.

"Everyone has them, even scientist's"

I have become desensitized to the use of apostrophe's for plural's. Certainly not going to cite example's.

Weary improperly used for leery always annoyed me.

"Derd biyke 4 sell" was an actual craigslist posting I saw, so I guess it can get worse. "Cow zone" instead of calzone came from an engineer with multiple PhDs..."It has cheese in it and cows make cheese so it made sense to me!"

Well , spelling does get my attention but I try not to correct it unless asked .

Back