Way lube for guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried or had experience with useing way lube as a gun lubricant? It seems to me that it would work well in anything except revolvers. I think Mobil Vactra 2 would be about right.

Bob

It doesn't matter what weight they are, it is the Tackifier

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000030#000000

that gets sticky and highly viscous when cold. I have seen firing pins lose a lot of energy and not stike the primer with sufficinet force to ignite the primer when cold.

As far as concentrated or high levels of S-P, please read the Question of the Day Articles, etc.

What you really want in a gun cleaner/lubricant is a very light weight oil that has lubricity, surfacts to spread the lube (creep/crawl), cleanliness, rust inhibition, and one that carries special AW/EP additives that are non-corrosive and non-hygroscopic.

quote:

Way lubes are WAY too thick and do not have the proper additive package for firearms. There is too much sulfur and phosphorus in way lubes for firearms.

Should have read:

quote:

Way lubes are WAY too sticky and do not have the proper additive package for firearms. There is too much sulfur and phosphorus in way lubes for firearms.

In addition, some way lubes contain chlorinated compounds.

I was never really a fan of gun greases per se. Greases seem to attract too much crud, especially field grass and small seeds. The cleaner/lube should have sufficient lubricity and AW capabilities that grease should be unnecessary.

One myth among many (and not only in automotive or gun lubrication), is that a thicker substance is always better. Any gun lube that contains a thickening agent is going to cause cold weather problems, and thicker does not infer better metal (AW or surface) protection.

I prefer a thin fluid that sufficiently spreads it AW agents and cleans in the process.

[ June 14, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back