Water heater is leaking....

if your electrical panel is sufficient go tankless electric, think of it as a REALLY big Keurig machine

Wow it pulls 150amps at 240v!

Would be a shame to have to take cold showers during a power outage, while running a generator.

What I don't like about my Bradford White is that the anode rod is part of the plumbing inlet/outlet, so it is much more difficult to replace.

For 3 people and on natural gas … a 40 will keep up … with the money saved buy a high temperature water hose and flush it spring and fall …

save 2/3 on a cheaper hose. from amazon

Wow it pulls 150amps at 240v!

Would be a shame to have to take cold showers during a power outage, while running a generator.
and it costs more to heat water than gas. Tankless doesnt change physics.. or cost. for me its 3-4x as expensive to heat with electric vs natural gas.
of course you dont have the tank losses but that is a much smaller amount than what you use to actually heat the water.

Longevity of a water heater is increased if you check/change the anode every two or three years.
if its removeable

I Install a lot of AO Smith and Rheem because they seem to be a good product. Stay away from Bradford White, too many problems. I recommend a 50 gallon since your water can be pretty cold coming in where you live. And consider stepping up a notch to an eight or ten year warranted unit. BTW, AO Smith is American made, some of Rheem comes out of Mexico.

if its removeable
The rods are always removable. Some are easier than others. I'd only buy one that's easily replaceable and not under the inlet tube. Rheems and other brands are like that. My suggestion would be to get a Milwaukee 2767, 1400 foot pounds of torque. Replaced several anode rods last year. That impact gun had no problem with any of them, a few seconds and they were loose, it was a struggle to replace them years ago with a breaker bar and a 3 foot pipe. That impact is so worth it, it'd probably just pay for itself on just one job and then you can just sell it afterwards.

For the sodium concern, the proper way to do things is to send unsoftened cold water to the kitchen tap. Everything else softened.

Done correctly and upfront it isn't a big deal and gives the rest of the house including the water heater conditioned water.

That's how we have our house setup (and we have a miele dishwasher that has its own softener for the dishes. )

.900 thick by 44 3/8 long anode rod. Super thick...

Yeah, those are the ones I get. Got 8 at a time so free shipping. Cut with Sawzall to fit. Thicker than factory anode rod.

Tankless makes no sense at all unless space is an issue and there is no place to put a regular water heater in if you are thinking about your budget. Its just a water heater and both types of water heaters will have issues yet you pay way more for a tankless which at times includes many more headaches.
Spend a few extra dollars for a Rheem 12 year standard water heater instead of the 6 that you bought.

There are tankless gas water heaters. Ill be going with that soon enough.

I have no space in my house for a water heater. The current one is in the kitchen. I did make a spot for a tankless in the remodeled bathroom

Gas is the only way to go tankless, I had one installed 3 years ago as it was about the same price as a direct vent water heater. If you have a regular vented heater now a tankless will be much more expensive. Don't believe the hype on the gas savings on the tankless as any savings on these is eaten up if you pay to have it cleaned every year. I purchased the sump pump and clean it myself but any savings over a tank is minimal. I do like the endless hot water though and much more compact than a tank. Warranties on tankless are 10+ years I believe.

I don't think it matters for you. Your water quality is poor if your tank only lasted 6 years. You should fix that problem.

Gas is the only way to go tankless, I had one installed 3 years ago as it was about the same price as a direct vent water heater. If you have a regular vented heater now a tankless will be much more expensive. Don't believe the hype on the gas savings on the tankless as any savings on these is eaten up if you pay to have it cleaned every year. I purchased the sump pump and clean it myself but any savings over a tank is minimal. I do like the endless hot water though and much more compact than a tank. Warranties on tankless are 10+ years I believe.
Warranties are worthless if you can't get the parts or find people who know how to fix them. People also seem to pay top dollar to install a tank so maybe that's why the tankless seem low in price. Typically I just pick up a water heater at Home Depot in the $450-$600 range depending if I want to splurge on a 9 year warranty or 6. Install for me is in the $150-$250 range depending on what parts it needs. I see people paying $1k to 2k for a basic tank water heater installed from a plumbing company. Tank water heaters are pretty basic, your control unit, burner assembly, thermocouple are basic parts and if you have the warranty, they'll just send you the new parts. Tankless might have higher install costs due to having to increase gas line to 3/4, direct venting needs and all that extra plumbing. Gas tank swap is pretty quick if you get the same height water heater. I don't clean my water heaters, just change the anode rod.

Gas tank life also seems to depend on how much hot water goes through it. I replaced two tanks once at the same time. One was just a couple and the other unit had 6 people. The 6 people heater wore out after 6 years, the couple is still going after 10 years.

Our new build has tankless water heaters (gas, Rinnai brand). It vents directly outside the garage wall and works well.

When the water is cold it takes quite a while for the water to get hot, that is the benefit of a tank water heater, you have water already heated.

But once the hot water starts flowing it is endless. We can take two showers at once, and run the dishwasher no problem.

They aren't too bad to clean yourself, takes about an hour and 3 gallons of vinegar. I have a little submersible pump, and some washer lines to pump vinegar through the system for about an hour.

Mine needs to be cleaned every year for sure with our hard water. I can always tell it needs to be done when I hear the burner making popping sounds, the deposits need to be removed.

For the OP, I think he needs to stick with a tank water heater. Converting to Tankless doesn't make financial sense, and if he is filling up big jacuzzi tubs during winter, tank would be the way to go.

I would not consider Electric tankless anywhere but Florida or Arizona. Even here in South Texas it still gets cold we have a gas furnace and gas water heater.

Company I worked for a couple years ago was installing Bradford White water heaters. We had a pile of them out behind the shop that were taken out under warranty because they were leaking.
I had one too. Bad welds at the top where the hot and cold inlet and outlet are. POS.

My Mom’s house is natural gas.
When I moved the laundry room upstairs,
I split the hot water,
due to a 70 foot run from the first floor, far left corner,
to second floor, far right... Major wait for hot water on the second floor....
Tankless heater replaced the existing tank hot water heater on the first,
second tankless heater on the second, in the new laundry room.

I reused the old hot water line as a crossover, just shut off the incoming flow to the malfunctioning unit, and open the crossfeed. The other tankless heater now serves the entire house...

I had "coal gas" tankless back in Asia, and electric resistant tank ones. They work well but they are mounted in the bathroom right above the shower, the electric tanked one need like 30 mins preheating before shower and will run out.

Between tank and tankless if you are on natural gas I would personally use the tank natural gas version. They are much more convenient and cost effective. Last I check for the same heat electric is 5x more expensive than natural gas where I'm at, so even with a 60% efficiency of natural gas it will still be 3x more expensive to go electric.

Back