Water heater is leaking....

It lasted its 6 year warranty. Richmond natural gas 50 gallon 38,000 btu. The prior tank lasted 10 years, AO Smith of similar size. Menards sold me this first and last Richmond. Home Depot has Rheem which looks fishily like the Richmond I have now, hmmm. I can mail order AO Smith or Bradford-White. I could also spend the coin and go tankless. Looking for recommendations. 4 bedroom, 3 1/2 baths for three people, jacuzzi whirlpool tub in master.

No Lowes within 150 miles or so. Maybe mail order as I have used Lowes online a couple times.

if you are on well water tankless can be pain. requires alot of maintence.. Hard to beat a gas tank water heater for $$$.

City water which is pretty crappy for hard water build up. I don't want the headache of a softener or the extra sodium in my diet. The wife and daughter drink filtered or bottled water. I chug the filthy stuff straight out of the faucet.

I have a Lochinvar 50 gallon that's on year 13 and been completely happy with it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think Lochinvar's residential units are made by Bradford-White.

For 3 people and on natural gas … a 40 will keep up … with the money saved buy a high temperature water hose and flush it spring and fall …

Lochinvar is part of A.O. Smith and Richmond is made by Rheem.

These days it's tough to know if these units are the same with a different decal (Rheem/Richmond) or if the original company kept it's same components and quality when they were bought out (Lochinvar/A.O. Smith) vs. merging their products into one.

City water which is pretty crappy for hard water build up. I don't want the headache of a softener or the extra sodium in my diet. The wife and daughter drink filtered or bottled water. I chug the filthy stuff straight out of the faucet.

I don't think water softeners work the way you think? The salt is not added to the water, but is instead used to flush out the membrane resin tank thing that does the actual softening.

I don’t have any experience with gas water heaters. However, I had a Bradford White electric that was 13 years old when I sold our former home. I would flush it at least once a year and sometimes twice. We had hard water and lime buildup was horrible. When my Rheem goes out, I will replace with a Bradford White.

I don't think water softeners work the way you think? The salt is not added to the water, but is instead used to flush out the membrane resin tank thing that does the actual softening.
OMG … had a membrane fail and that resin got everywhere … without a good air compressor and long hoses I would have never cleared the plumbing …
Was very hard to get it all from the water heater too …

Reactions: JC1
Company I worked for a couple years ago was installing Bradford White water heaters. We had a pile of them out behind the shop that were taken out under warranty because they were leaking.

Reactions: JC1
Years ago one method to get longevity out of water heaters was to pipe up two tanks in series. The first would be set at around 100 deg and the second at 130 or whatever was desired. The objective was to split the temp rise.

Tankless costs more especially installation.
I got a Noritz designed to easily replace a tank style water heater.
I know a retired plumber that is busier than ever. Great guy. He helped me install it.
I love my tankless. Cost effective? Bring a lunch, I guess.

We have commercial softeners at work, resin beads and brine, pumped to an RO after treatment for boiler makeup. Maybe 15-20 thousand gallons a day. I know how the regeneration process works. Softening water does introduce sodium to the finished water, not a lot, but enough if you are trying to limit dietary intake.

Another concern , can you run it on a generator during a power outage? With natural gas, its almost always there. Tankless pulls like what 30-50 amps at 240v?

Back