Water color painting 100+ years old

Wife's grandfather found this in a building he was cleaning out back in 1920s. Can't make out the last name.
photostudio_1702223429885.jpg
photostudio_1702223605613.jpg

I’ve googled for 30 minutes with variations of the last name and got nothing! The spelling of Julien seems to me to be of French origin but just guessing. It’s a beautiful painting that again to me looks to be of French origin but IDK. I would try finding an art appraiser or maybe an art museum in Mo and send a photo to them. Looks like a painting one would see on Antiques Road Show and hopefully could be used to fund your retirement!

Looks like Julien Calay, a name that's reasonably common in France and Belgium based on my brief search, but I can't find any reference to an artist by that name, so perhaps an amateur that never gained notoriety?

The painting is similar to Julien Celos, a Belgian Painter. It looks like most of his paintings sell for $200-$600 and top out around $2000-$3000. I can't find a signature that looks similar, though.

Taking a second closer look, the taller white stucco like building with the arch entry looks like it might be Spanish architecture, think the Alamo. Also just above and to the right of the arch there appears to be an electric light mounted on the building. Maybe early 20th century Spain?

I’ve googled for 30 minutes with variations of the last name and got nothing! The spelling of Julien seems to me to be of French origin but just guessing. It’s a beautiful painting that again to me looks to be of French origin but IDK. I would try finding an art appraiser or maybe an art museum in Mo and send a photo to them. Looks like a painting one would see on Antiques Road Show and hopefully could be used to fund your retirement!
The painting does seem to be a European "Mediterranean" type setting.

I have a very cool old painting done by someone with no real notoriety. It has no value, other than to me. Like you, I spent time searching for the artist, and came up empty. The appraised value could vary depending on who performs the appraisal and as much as I'd like to think it has worth, it doesn't.

I collect antique watercolors, mostly British Victorian paintings, and have about 60 hanging in my house. As mccandish noted above, yours appears to be by Julien Celos, and a colored etching of this image came up at auction in September with an estimate of $100-$150.

See: Julien Celos.

You should examine your picture with a strong magnifying glass to see if it is an etching or an original painting. Most of his original paintings have sold for less than $1,000 but some more. Personally I am not particularly impressed with his technical quality. To see high quality watercolors, see my website here: Helen Allingham

That said, technical quality is not the most important factor in value, but rather the fame of the artist. I have seen paintings that could have been done by a five year old sell for millions simply because the artist was in high demand.

In art collecting, what matters is whether the painting brings you pleasure or stirs your emotions when you view it. Every painting I buy is intended to hang in my house for 20+ years. While I search auctions daily, I buy rarely.

Back