Septic Tank Service

It’s similar here. We looked for all utilities when we bought this house. It is tough to find 3+ acres here that are not on septic and well but we managed. Now, if we could just get faster internet.

$300-500 every year or three is pretty cheap compared to our sewer service. I’d be curious what the electric costs are for a well pump but I imagine much less than I spend on water.

I originally was looking at a couple houses in the town I'm near, but the quarterly water and sewer bills were $300-$500. Some people are paying upwards of a grand. This house was in a perfect location, so well and septic it is. Ironically I have 1GB cable internet here.

Not sure what the well pump uses on electricity, but it's 5amp rated.

It’s similar here. We looked for all utilities when we bought this house. It is tough to find 3+ acres here that are not on septic and well but we managed. Now, if we could just get faster internet.

$300-500 every year or three is pretty cheap compared to our sewer service. I’d be curious what the electric costs are for a well pump but I imagine much less than I spend on water.
I doubt you'd notice the cost of a well pump with average cost electric. I've always been on a well and septic and that never was an issue.
Fingers crossed here but my well pump was new in 1999...still working. That is the cost. A well pump but you can do your homework first. I doubt any are as good as they were pre 2000

I doubt you'd notice the cost of a well pump with average cost electric. I've always been on a well and septic and that never was an issue.
Fingers crossed here but my well pump was new in 1999...still working. That is the cost. A well pump but you can do your homework first. I doubt any are as good as they were pre 2000

I have two pumps in my house. A 220v for the well and a 110v for the large cistern. In an emergency I could tie the cistern into the main house. A violation of health code, but I'll at least have water for the time being.

In October I sold one of my houses that had over a 700 ft deep well.
New in 2006. I got lucky and had no issues. I bet that pump and labor would have been expensive.
I'm sure @walterjay would have an idea.

Five years ago my mother paid $1800 for the pump replacement in an 80 foot well.

Going rate around here is $450 for a 1000 gallon tank. That's if you shop around, it is generally a bit higher than that.

Apparently there are only a couple places around here that will take the contents of their tanks, so they're having to drive further and pay more to get rid of the load.

In Florida especially Ocala I see public sewers with a private well.
I think that would be a decent option.

Townships down the road are like that. One requires you to have an ejector pump though, so that gets costly. Those houses are much more expensive though.

In October I sold one of my houses that had over a 700 ft deep well.
New in 2006. I got lucky and had no issues. I bet that pump and labor would have been expensive.
I'm sure @walterjay would have an idea.

Five years ago my mother paid $1800 for the pump replacement in an 80 foot well.
About 3.5K on the low end and quite possibly more. Some places would soak you for 5K.

Every 5-7 years. I use a box of Rid-X monthly…..the guy always comments at how little sludge is in there and to just keep doing what I’m doing.

Years ago we paid under 100$ for a yearly cleanout. It was just solids as we have a liquid pumpout. The old guy retired and the new owner upped it to 125 or so. Still very reasonable considering what you pay for sewer in town.

In the ground propane tanks are another serious issue you better deal with before you buy that older house or a new house where you didn't contract yourself.

I had a young buck nephew that didn't listen to me and it cost him dearly. Even Lawyers will not get involved in those old contracts..

I got out of one 12 years ago as then I had no experience with propane and of course the realtor wasn't upfront either.

Propane was cheap then.
Just over a dollar a gallon and the company that owned the tank was running a special on that tank they owned. Only $4 a gallon...lol
That gets serious when you get to 1000 gallons..

I had to get crafty to get out of it.
I did but don't buy a house until you know or resolve the propane tank issue first....

Mine was $500

But the girl was not ugly (that was very............unsettling)

Plus she pumped anything out of the bottom of my final tank. Pretty sweet really. Mostly they never bother.
Ha! The last pump I hired a company called “Diffley and Daughter Septic”.
Pink trucks and all but not a woman pumping the tank. I was hoping to meet my future wife 😍

That seems cheap, I spent 300 or so to have a 1000 gallon tank pumped 10 years ago and the tank had a riser, part of the cost here was the nearest facility that will accept the waste is 45 miles and an hour away.

$350 years ago for me in NY. Likely $500 with our current inflation and overregulation. Wondering why you do yours ever other year? Any issues? I’ve done mine 2x in 20 years.

What’s your field size?! I’m 1500 main tank, 250 dosing chamber, and 5 rows of 90ft field pipe.

Do you actually check the scum layer every year to make that assessment?

It honestly depends on size of tank based on bedrooms, number of actual inhabitants in homes and also if you avoid putting anything non degradable down drains.

I do every 4-5 however have 1700 gallon and 5 people in home.

septic-pumping-F161_Page_2-1266x925-6d11eaf2-640w.jpg
Nice, thanks for posting this.

Reminds me we need to put signs above three johns for guests. Butt just us #two, and the care we take when we go, we should make it out alive - two 1000 gallon tanks. Moving to some type of condo or something on the beach at 72.

I do a pump out once a year. Things are not working perfectly. The local borough requirement is every 3 years, tops. I've used the same people for the past 20 years. I'm pretty sure I have a 500 gal. tank but have mostly been charged for a 1000 gal. tank. The cost had floated around $120-$150 for many years. It went to $180 last year and I just paid $360 recently. I'm sure that their costs have risen, but it seems that every good, food or service goes up 40% to 100% in each increment.

Seems pretty reasonable to haul a bunch of crap. I pay $65/month for sewer service if that helps make it easier to swallow.
I actually never thought of it that way, but in PA our taxes are sewer and trash, county, school. 3 different bills. We have a tiny house and divided by 12 is $135/mo. I believe the rate is based upon water consumed.

I know my cousin lives in a McMansion in Ma with a septic tank and we were told not to flush if only pee. So this tells me they are being careful with the septic tank..

Back